The ToonForum Whisky Club

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Re: The ToonForum Whisky Club

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:
Jeffersons bourbon is good as well. Got a really nice hint of vanilla.
Which one would you recommend DK? Never heard of this before but see there is quite a selection to choose from on t'interweb
Woodford Reserve is a brilliant call. Up until I tried Jeffersons it was my favourite bourbon. Now I like those two equally, they are both really smooth but have a subtle difference in flavour. Bulleit and Bulleit Rye are both good as well but just not as good as those two (but then they are a bit cheaper).

I'm also partial to Makers Mark. Would judge that as nicer than Bulleit but not quite as good as WR or Jeffersons.

I confess though that I have a pretty poor selection where I live so there are many brands I haven't tasted yet, so i'm no expert.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:32 pm

Bulleit is definitely harsher than Woodford, so someone wanting an easy drinker should certainly opt for woodford out of those.

Jim Beam Double Oaked is also very smooth, I was pleasantly surprised as I wouldn't touch normal Jim Beam as it's crap.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Micky Quim wrote: Which one would you recommend DK? Never heard of this before but see there is quite a selection to choose from on t'interweb
Woodford Reserve is a brilliant call. Up until I tried Jeffersons it was my favourite bourbon. Now I like those two equally, they are both really smooth but have a subtle difference in flavour. Bulleit and Bulleit Rye are both good as well but just not as good as those two (but then they are a bit cheaper).

I'm also partial to Makers Mark. Would judge that as nicer than Bulleit but not quite as good as WR or Jeffersons.

I confess though that I have a pretty poor selection where I live so there are many brands I haven't tasted yet, so i'm no expert.
I also like a Makers Mark. the Hop & Cleaver on the Quayside have that as their house bourbon which is awesome <awe>

And which Jeffersons would you recommend though please? <scratch>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:47 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:

I also like a Makers Mark. the Hop & Cleaver on the Quayside have that as their house bourbon which is awesome <awe>

And which Jeffersons would you recommend though please? <scratch>
Any bar that has MM as house bourbon rather than JD gets my vote any day! <cheers>

To be honest I've only tried the Jeffersons Very Small Batch as it is the only one I've been able to find.

http://www.bourbonoftheday.com/jefferso ... all-batch/

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:09 pm

Canadian Club 1858. Bloody lovely. Really fiery but then immensely sweet

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:10 pm

Also Woodford Reserve Rye is nice

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:24 pm

I had a Blantons Gold last night for the first time in a while, bloody decent.

Also want to try woodford rye Micky.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Woodford Rye is nice but forgettable. I definitely prefer the original. Thinking about it, I dont like the spicier or rye bourbons so much. When you have them they are nice but I prefer a sweeter taste. This is odd for me actually as Im definitely a savory person rather then sweet. Starters every time over puds!

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:07 am

Jack Daniels single barrell not much kop

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:43 pm

Micky Quim wrote:Jack Daniels single barrell not much kop
Not surprised at 11am <disgrace>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:15 pm

ALF wrote:
Micky Quim wrote:Jack Daniels single barrell not much kop
Not surprised at 11am <disgrace>
<laugh>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm going to the Midlands Whiskey Festival tonight, will report back (or I'll report back what I can recall...) <gent>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:33 pm

Woodford​ Reserve and Blantons Gold to finish the weekend.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:51 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:I'm going to the Midlands Whiskey Festival tonight, will report back (or I'll report back what I can recall...) <gent>
So...?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:05 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:I'm going to the Midlands Whiskey Festival tonight, will report back (or I'll report back what I can recall...) <gent>
So...?
The only ones I remember being decent were Teeling Single Malt (an Irish whisky) and Evan Williams Bourbon.

Can't really remember many of the others...

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:28 pm

ok forgot to post about the drink i got at Xmas <whistle> only just remembered as i finished the Nikka off last night.

Nikka Taketsuru pure malt, fantastic whisky smooth sherried taste with a slight smokey taste but not to the point of overpowering would recommend this to anyone. <gold> <gold> <gold> <gold> <half>

Rumbullion navy strength if you like Kraken you'll love this way better imo.
Jameson Crested , another sherry cask matured whisky not the greatest but worth the money a good everyday whisky on offer at Asda for £25 presently.
Picked up a bottle of Jura Superstition (£25 was £34) and Tincup whisky from Asda they've got some good deals on at the minute.I got the Tincup to try as i've never had it before and the Jura as it's on offer.
One they have on offer that i'd recommend if you haven't tried it is Penderyn Legend.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Tsi wrote:ok forgot to post about the drink i got at Xmas <whistle> only just remembered as i finished the Nikka off last night.

Nikka Taketsuru pure malt, fantastic whisky smooth sherried taste with a slight smokey taste but not to the point of overpowering would recommend this to anyone. <gold> <gold> <gold> <gold> <half>

Rumbullion navy strength if you like Kraken you'll love this way better imo.
Jameson Crested , another sherry cask matured whisky not the greatest but worth the money a good everyday whisky on offer at Asda for £25 presently.
Picked up a bottle of Jura Superstition (£25 was £34) and Tincup whisky from Asda they've got some good deals on at the minute.I got the Tincup to try as i've never had it before and the Jura as it's on offer.
One they have on offer that i'd recommend if you haven't tried it is Penderyn Legend.
I really liked the Tin Cup whisky, wasn't sure what to make of it at first but found it quite smooth with a nice peppery bite, would buy it again, reminded me of some Canadian whiskies.

Had whisky night at my mates house on Sat and I'd ordered Woodford Double Oaked but Amazon f***ed my order up. Ended up getting another bottle of Eagle Rare 10 for 36 quid from Asda.

Still a lovely drop for the price but you really need to let it breathe in the glass for at least 10 minutes, the alcohol burn is just too much otherwise, not what you'd expect for a mature bourbon. Lovely when it's left to breathe though and with a drop of water to open it up a bit, also sublime in an old fashioned if you fancy using nicer stuff in a cocktail.

Anyone tried Four Roses Single Barrell? I tried their cheaper Small Batch recently and it was ok but didn't quite have the character of Makers Mark/Bulleit/Buffalo Trace. It was quite sweet and easy to drink but because it was bland it put me off trying the Single Barrell.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Excuse the double post, the whisky night stuff was mostly standard stuff but as far as the single malts went, my mate's bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12 stuck out like a sore thumb. So much flavour and complexity compared to everything else.

Someone bought a bottle of Auchentoshan American Oak which was nice. Much younger and very oaky though, if you like that kind of thing. Different though.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 pm

AP, I'm a big Woodford fan (regular and double Oaked) and also love Eagle rare personally, top drawer bourbon. Like the extra bit of bite you get from it. I have had four roses single barrel but a few years back, from memory they always seem to do decent stuff.

Love anything from Balvenie when we're talking single malt. My favourite distillery. Try the carribean cask <ok> As you say, the 12 year old doublewood is excellent.

Got a bottle of the auchentoshan American oak, about 2/3 of the way through it. It's ok but there are quite a few in my collection that I'd pick ahead of it.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:29 pm

I tried the Caribbean Cask a while back and loved it, not for the purists I imagine but I loved the sweeness from the rum casks, quite spicy too.

How would you compare Four Roses Single Barrel to Eagle Rare or Woodford?