The ToonForum Whisky Club

On Tyne
Tindall's Hoody

Re: The ToonForum Whisky Club

Post by On Tyne » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:50 pm

Tsi wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:What's everyone got on their Xmas whisky gift list?
Whisky wise i'm getting a bottle of Nikka Taketsuru pure malt also getting a bottle of Rumbullion navy strength <divax>
I was looking at a whisky advent calendar but there is so much choice, i can't make my mind up <wah> the price of them though will probably see me buying a few bottles instead.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/search/#se ... ction=desc
On Tyne wrote:Anyone tried Jura before? What´s it like?

I have an unopened bottle that I got as a present sitting in the cupboard.... and it keeps looking at me....
Which one is it? Check out some of the earlier pages there are reviews and i'm sure one of the Jura's was reviewed.
I'd recommend them Jura Superstition is one of my favorite a good day to day whisky.
It is Jura Superstition!

Is that Nikka Taketsuru the one that won best whisky in the world recently? (Bloody heresy as far as I´m concerned - there is no whisky outside Scotland.)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Even a purist should try some Japanese whisky, they do some great stuff.

If it makes you feel better, the Japanese man who first started making whisky in Japan learnt his trade in Scotland. He also met a Scottish woman and got married to her. They both went back to Japan together and Japanese whisky was born.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

On Tyne
Tindall's Hoody

Post by On Tyne » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:19 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Even a purist should try some Japanese whisky, they do some great stuff.

If it makes you feel better, the Japanese man who first started making whisky in Japan learnt his trade in Scotland. He also met a Scottish woman and got married to her. They both went back to Japan together and Japanese whisky was born.
I´ve never forgiven Sean Connery for advertising Suntory!

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Signet will be a definite - I think it's the perfect whisky for Christmas. Warm, sweet, spicy <ok>

Will probably end up buying a few, I always like to have a selection and I converted the missus last year and she loves it so she'll be having a bit. Tried some Glenlivet Nadurra Oloroso at the airport and loved it so I'll get a bottle of that. Think I'm gonna get some Irish Whisky too - might even push the boat out and get some Bushmills 21 year old <awe>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:26 pm

Chappy wrote:
Signet will be a definite - I think it's the perfect whisky for Christmas. Warm, sweet, spicy <ok>

Will probably end up buying a few, I always like to have a selection and I converted the missus last year and she loves it so she'll be having a bit. Tried some Glenlivet Nadurra Oloroso at the airport and loved it so I'll get a bottle of that. Think I'm gonna get some Irish Whisky too - might even push the boat out and get some Bushmills 21 year old <awe>
I had that Glenlivet at a whisky festival last year, was very decent! Not a bad price either.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:16 pm

I realise I'm late to this, but back when Skyfall came out (2012 I think?), I was ordering a scotch in a pretentious bar in London and I didn't know what to go for, so the barman says "Try The Macallan, it's modern Bond's choice of scotch" - so I tried it and fell in love.

Problem was, The Macallan couldn't be delivered to Northern Ireland. Believe me, I don't know why, but aside from a glass on a trip to Edinburgh 2 years ago and a glass in London this summer, I haven't had it since.

Turns out Amazon has started shipping to NI and the future Mrs. Jesuses has ordered me the 18 year old single malt <awe> haven't been this excited for Christmas since I believed in the big man.
Don't hinder the Trinder

golasambi
Pope's Goalposts

Post by golasambi » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:43 pm

luv whiskey and how it feels when it goes down my mouth lol

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:15 pm

MultipleJesuses wrote:
I realise I'm late to this, but back when Skyfall came out (2012 I think?), I was ordering a scotch in a pretentious bar in London and I didn't know what to go for, so the barman says "Try The Macallan, it's modern Bond's choice of scotch" - so I tried it and fell in love.

Problem was, The Macallan couldn't be delivered to Northern Ireland. Believe me, I don't know why, but aside from a glass on a trip to Edinburgh 2 years ago and a glass in London this summer, I haven't had it since.

Turns out Amazon has started shipping to NI and the future Mrs. Jesuses has ordered me the 18 year old single malt <awe> haven't been this excited for Christmas since I believed in the big man.
Sounds like you've found a keeper there <gent>

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:24 pm

Has anyone done any distillery tours? Me and our gurt fancy doing one but don't know where to begin tbh...

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Yeah Macallan is really nice. Was given a very nice bottle a decade or so ago and loved it. Never gotten around to treating myself to another though. Something for my christmas list i suppose. <ok>

golasambi
Pope's Goalposts

Post by golasambi » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:47 am

love macallan really gd whiskey

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:08 am

Ordered some Signet, it's on its way <divax>

Half my Xmas shopping is whisky <laugh> got our lass some and I always get me old man a bottle every year...

Has anyone seen the Glenfiddich IPA? Have asked Santa for some. Was matured in ale casks so if you're a big ale drinker like me it might be worth a punt, not too pricey either at around £40-44 <ok>

golasambi
Pope's Goalposts

Post by golasambi » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:29 pm

yeh i got a couple bottles rly lovely stuff mate id recommend it lagavulin in top 10 deffo gorge stuff and also jap yoichi wich u can pick up for under 50 in right places x

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:33 pm

Bulleit Rye for me tonight.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:52 am

Woodford Reserve is £19.99 on Amazon with free delivery - stock up now!

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:52 pm

Benny - you seem like the go to guy for Bourbons. As you know I'm more of a scotch man, but would like to broaden my horizons at some point, which ones do you recommend? At first glance I'm drawn to Woodford Reserve double oak and a couple of Jack Daniel's bourbons that I can't remember the names of - but they're around £60.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Chappy wrote:Benny - you seem like the go to guy for Bourbons. As you know I'm more of a scotch man, but would like to broaden my horizons at some point, which ones do you recommend? At first glance I'm drawn to Woodford Reserve double oak and a couple of Jack Daniel's bourbons that I can't remember the names of - but they're around £60.
I love Bourbon. I also really enjoy single malts (was on the Auchentoshan American Oak last night, not amazing but got it as a gift while back) but bourbon edges it for me (even though my Mum is Scottish :bandit: )

I would 100% recommend Woodford Reserve (just the standard one) as your entry to the world of Bourbon. It is superb, incredibly smooth and fantastic value for money. You can usually get it in ASDA for around £25, or go for the offer on Amazon.

I'm not much of a Jack Daniel's drinker although their Single Barrel is decent (about £40 a bottle).

If you're looking for something with a bit more to it then Eagle Rare is very good (about £35 a bottle), if you want to spend a bit more then I'd highly recommend these two:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/101 ... ld-edition

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/232 ... ourbon-672

<ok>

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:02 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Chappy wrote:Benny - you seem like the go to guy for Bourbons. As you know I'm more of a scotch man, but would like to broaden my horizons at some point, which ones do you recommend? At first glance I'm drawn to Woodford Reserve double oak and a couple of Jack Daniel's bourbons that I can't remember the names of - but they're around £60.
I love Bourbon. I also really enjoy single malts (was on the Auchentoshan American Oak last night, not amazing but got it as a gift while back) but bourbon edges it for me (even though my Mum is Scottish :bandit: )

I would 100% recommend Woodford Reserve (just the standard one) as your entry to the world of Bourbon. It is superb, incredibly smooth and fantastic value for money. You can usually get it in ASDA for around £25, or go for the offer on Amazon.

I'm not much of a Jack Daniel's drinker although their Single Barrel is decent (about £40 a bottle).

If you're looking for something with a bit more to it then Eagle Rare is very good (about £35 a bottle), if you want to spend a bit more then I'd highly recommend these two:

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/101 ... ld-edition

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/232 ... ourbon-672

<ok>
Gracias <ok>

I've not heard a bad thing about Woodford Reserve - I'll probably start there.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:53 am

Intrigued to try the Woodford Reserve Rye <scratch>

Anyone gave it a go yet?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:54 am

Hiya wrote:Intrigued to try the Woodford Reserve Rye <scratch>

Anyone gave it a go yet?
No, but I enjoy a Rye whisky. Had Sazerac Rye, Bulleit Rye and Knob Creek Rye - all decent.