-

Re: Books

Post by Amnesiac » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Joey Barton is an idiot.

Iksee
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by Iksee » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:59 am

I am "reading" some Brandon Sanderson high fantasy fiction called the Way of Kings, I read about 300 pages while in Moscow but not really touched it since I came back about 700 pages left, I really enjoy it, I just never feel like reading at home.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:04 am

Privet Iksee wrote:I am "reading" some Brandon Sanderson high fantasy fiction called the Way of Kings, I read about 300 pages while in Moscow but not really touched it since I came back about 700 pages left, I really enjoy it, I just never feel like reading at home.
That's the problem I have, I read the first 50 pages of American Psycho then stopped reading at home. I started to read at work and since then I've read American Psycho, A Clockwork Orange and the first 100 pages of The Man who Broke into Auschwitz. Unless you're able to read somewhere other than at home i'd try making time for it as you can't beat a good book.

Iksee
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by Iksee » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:09 am

If I think about it I think I only read it on my flights, I'm sure I was playing final fantasy 7 on my psp for my get-me-to-sleep entertainment.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:10 am

That's what is wrong with the world today. All these games consoles!

Iksee
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by Iksee » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:21 am

It's not like I ever used it apart from them 2 weeks!

Oh but my favourite book is Stonehenge by Bernard Cornwell, he's a historian but it's a sort of fictitious story of how he think Stonehenge came to be, I found it really good.

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:39 pm

I finished Less Than Zero last week. I think I liked it more than American Psycho.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:35 pm

I want curly hair wrote:I finished Less Than Zero last week. I think I liked it more than American Psycho.
Think I'll give that a read once i'm done with my current book.

dls
Fur is Good
Fur is Good

Post by dls » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Just finished The Beach, and now am trying to decide whether to start Nineteen Eighty-Four or Catch-22. Any thoughts?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:17 pm

Dr. Lucien Sanchez wrote:Just finished The Beach, and now am trying to decide whether to start Nineteen Eighty-Four or Catch-22. Any thoughts?
Nineteen Eighty-Four is infinitely better than Catch 22. When compared to Nineteen Eighty-Four, Catch 22 isn't even a book, it's just a pile of pieces of paper covered in s*** and bound together with string.

dls
Fur is Good
Fur is Good

Post by dls » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:22 pm

skalpel wrote:
Dr. Lucien Sanchez wrote:Just finished The Beach, and now am trying to decide whether to start Nineteen Eighty-Four or Catch-22. Any thoughts?
Nineteen Eighty-Four is infinitely better than Catch 22. When compared to Nineteen Eighty-Four, Catch 22 isn't even a book, it's just a pile of pieces of paper covered in s*** and bound together with string.
<laugh> You should really mock up some sort of stamp that you can post after every one of your scathing reviews.

But cheers, looks like Nineteen Eighty-Four it is! <ok>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:42 pm

<laugh> I absolutely love Orwell, so I was always going for Nineteen Eighty-Four unless your choice was that or a selection of Orwell essays.

Seriously though it's an incredible novel all round which will leave you with lots to ponder and consider when it's over; whereas Catch22 bases its greatness on a sense of humour which many people simply haven't found funny, myself included.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Nineteen Eighty-Four is unbelievably good.

Henry Hoover
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Henry Hoover » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:50 am

Im off to a crappy role progression course at work next week in Bath for 4 days, it apparently gives you skills to progress to a managerial status in the future. Basically, Royal Mail send you and about 5 others on a Train to a hotel with a regional senior manager for about 3 hours of slideshows followed by drinking/shenanigans in the bar/town. In short they pay a few lucky buggers to go and have a piss up and come back with a shiny certificate. Anyway, im not very fond of the comrades they're sending me with and intend to hole up in my room on the nights finding something to occupy myself. So I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a book to read by an author in the same vein as John Grisham if anyones fond of him? I've got and read all Grisham's and looking to broaden my taste in authors a bit.

Toon&Gloom
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Toon&Gloom » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:18 am

Anyone else have a kindle? Got one because I had no room to store any more books, its not quite the same as reading a book but its a lot better than I thought it would be. Plus loads of free books available.

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Toon&Gloom wrote:Anyone else have a kindle? Got one because I had no room to store any more books, its not quite the same as reading a book but its a lot better than I thought it would be. Plus loads of free books available.
I got the 3G kindle I love it cause if I finish a book I can get a new one wherever I am in the world and its easy on my eyes as its not backlit !
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

Acid Hippo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Acid Hippo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Toon&Gloom wrote:Anyone else have a kindle? Got one because I had no room to store any more books, its not quite the same as reading a book but its a lot better than I thought it would be. Plus loads of free books available.
My brother has one and I thought they'd be stupid, but they're actually pretty good aren't they!

Still love a good actual book though.
<monster>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Forgot to mention, AH, I got hold of a bunch of Dahl shorts <ok>. Cheers for the recommendation.

Acid Hippo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Acid Hippo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Nice one <ok> You read any of them yet?
<monster>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Not yet, still finishing another book. They're next in line though <ok>.