Books

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Books

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:23 pm

I'm a happy chappy tonight.

Just got home to open a 1942 original hardback of 'Last train from Berlin' by Howard Smith.

He was an American journalist who documented the changing attitudes of the German population in the build up to WWII and the first year of the war itself.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:38 pm

overseasTOON wrote:I'm a happy chappy tonight.

Just got home to open a 1942 original hardback of 'Last train from Berlin' by Howard Smith.

He was an American journalist who documented the changing attitudes of the German population in the build up to WWII and the first year of the war itself.
Sounds good, just ordered a copy for myself. <ok>

Would recommend you try "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and "Berlin Diary: The Journal of a Foreign Correspondent" by William L. Shirer as well. Another US journalist who was there throughout the period of the Nazi rise and the early years of the war (right up until just before the USA joined the war I think) and had access to many of the leading Nazis. Thinking you may also find them interesting and I can personally recommend Rise and Fall. Probably my favourite book on the subject and I have read many.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:15 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:

Would recommend you try "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and "Berlin Diary: The Journal of a Foreign Correspondent" by William L. Shirer as well. Another US journalist who was there throughout the period of the Nazi rise and the early years of the war (right up until just before the USA joined the war I think) and had access to many of the leading Nazis. Thinking you may also find them interesting and I can personally recommend Rise and Fall. Probably my favourite book on the subject and I have read many.
I'll have a look out for those next month when I get paid.

Enjoy the book. I read it at college as the library had a copy and its always stuck with me as a great insight into how the German population were led into the war.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:43 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:

Enjoy the book. I read it at college as the library had a copy and its always stuck with me as a great insight into how the German population were led into the war.
Cheers <cheers>

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:45 am

These sound like a good read. Might get them for myself, love WWII stuff <ok>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:02 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:

I may have to have a splurge on some books in the near future!! Feel very mainstream now with what I'm reading <laugh> Berlin: The Downfall 1945 by Anthony Beevor. It is excellent mind, very graphic and brilliant at laying out the battles up to and including Berlin as well as the diplomatic tension between East and West, very interesting. Road of Bones by Fergal Keane has got to be my favourite WW2 book though, it's on the sieges of Imphal and Kohima. Confusing at the start as it flits between a lot of different personalities and regiments but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. It was horrifying and uplifting all at once.

On a none WW2 related not if anyone enjoyed 'The Martian' on film I'd get the book. The film was amazing but the book is 10/10, I read it in the 2-3 days before the film came out.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:10 pm

The Angry Badger. wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:

I may have to have a splurge on some books in the near future!! Feel very mainstream now with what I'm reading <laugh> Berlin: The Downfall 1945 by Anthony Beevor. It is excellent mind, very graphic and brilliant at laying out the battles up to and including Berlin as well as the diplomatic tension between East and West, very interesting. Road of Bones by Fergal Keane has got to be my favourite WW2 book though, it's on the sieges of Imphal and Kohima. Confusing at the start as it flits between a lot of different personalities and regiments but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. It was horrifying and uplifting all at once.

On a none WW2 related not if anyone enjoyed 'The Martian' on film I'd get the book. The film was amazing but the book is 10/10, I read it in the 2-3 days before the film came out.
I've read everything by Antony Beevor and always enjoy his style. A friend of mine is a history teacher who met him and got his autograpgh for me.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:55 pm

Definitely going to be buying 'Last Train From Berlin', 'Rise and Fall', and 'Berlin Diaries' when I get paid <divax>

My favourite WW2 books are definitely 'Horror In The East' and 'Their Darkest Hour'. Two collections of first hand accounts which are just brilliant. The first is mostly Japanese soldiers and Chinese/Korean citizens and the second is all sorts but they all give a really good idea of the personal horrors which people went through.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:53 pm

Taking a break from history for a while so started reading the first book in the PC Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch called Rivers of London.

Very entertaining so I've already bought the second in the series.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:12 pm

overseasTOON wrote:Taking a break from history for a while so started reading the first book in the PC Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch called Rivers of London.

The second is poor, gets really weird and rambling, whilst at the same time really precious about offending anyone. It's PC gone mad!

It's PC gone mad

It's PC gone mad

<neg> <neg> <neg> <roll>
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:12 pm

That may be the worst (non) joke I've ever done here, albeit with competition. But I kinda like it.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:22 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:That may be the worst (non) joke I've ever done here, albeit with competition. But I kinda like it.
<laugh>

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:56 pm

Have you even read it? <laugh>

I'm still on Game of Thrones. <neg>

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 am

<laugh> <applause>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:52 am

overseasTOON wrote:Taking a break from history for a while so started reading the first book in the PC Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch called Rivers of London.

I quite enjoyed that book as well. Like your I ordered the second and it sits in my to read pile, where it has been gathering dust for several years. Too many books to read, not enough time!

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:43 am

Just read The God Delusion, quality read <ok>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:25 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:

Started reading Last Train this evening and enjoying it so far. <ok> Coincidentally got to page 37, where Howard Smith is discussing his colleagues in the American Press Corps, he mentions "Bill Shirer of CBS who wrote the best book to come out of war-time Germany"

Sounds like he is recommending you read it too! <laugh>

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:11 am

Chappy wrote:Just read The God Delusion, quality read <ok>
disagree. he just makes the same point repeatedly

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:12 am

Chappy wrote:Just read The God Delusion, quality read <ok>
I preferred Christopher Hitchens 'God is Not Great'. I think he's a more engaging writer and focuses on culture more.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:20 am

Richard Dawkins is the reason I hope there is a God. He's an insufferable t***.