Knee hurts when cycling

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Re: Knee hurts when cycling

Post by TommyToon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:26 pm

seatonsluicetoon wrote:
TommyToonAA wrote:That sounds like one hell of a route for the Evans event! I'm doing one of their ones around Windsor/Henley next month as part of my training but it's only 81 miles. Triathlon is a different beast altogether though so good luck with that! I'm on the endurance route... there are 4 stages of the tour de france in the summer calling my name! 2 in the mountains <erk>
Sounds brilliant. Are you doing the TDF stages for charity or just yourself? I think coming into Surrey for your training is sensible as that Berkshire countryside is pretty flat by comparison. I did Hampton Court to Reading via Henley in January and it felt like a walk in the park for a 50 miler. For £30 entry if King of the Downs coincides with your training I'd highly recommend it. It's a serious challenge.

I'm doing the Crystal Palace triathlon which is just a sprint distance but in my current state I'm going to be pushing to acheive that.
Yeah it's a charity ride. They actually do the whole thing start to finish as well as offering segments throughout which is what I'm doing. Definitely planning a couple of trips to the Surrey hills and that event looks ideal, so thanks for the tip!

Good luck with the training/rehabilitation <ok>
I'm cycling 6 stages of the Tour de France in July 2018 to raise money for charity. If you'd like to sponsor me then please click the link in my user profile! Thank you!

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:14 pm

I done holme moss the other week on a Sunday after daytime drinking in Huddersfield the day before . I was in absolute s*** state by the top. I defo don't recommend doing it on a mountain bike!!!
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:00 pm

A week with the new setup and not a single ache anywhere. I raised the seat another 3cm so thats 8cm higher than it was when i started. BIIIG difference.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Hjl wrote:A week with the new setup and not a single ache anywhere. I raised the seat another 3cm so thats 8cm higher than it was when i started. BIIIG difference.
Great to hear mate <ok>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 pm

So my knee hurts again. This time I was cycling home and decided to go over the railroad tracks, didn't go over at a sharp enough angle and stacked it.

My knee has a boo boo! <wah>

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:39 am

Hjl wrote:So my knee hurts again. This time I was cycling home and decided to go over the railroad tracks, didn't go over at a sharp enough angle and stacked it.

My knee has a boo boo! <wah>
Happens to the best of us

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:38 pm

Oops I've done that on a dropped kerb before. Angle too shallow, it was wet and i ended up on my arse.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Oops I've done that on a dropped kerb before. Angle too shallow, it was wet and i ended up on my arse.
I did that before but instead ended up head first in a flower bed in front of a s*** load of people <disgrace>
I'm cycling 6 stages of the Tour de France in July 2018 to raise money for charity. If you'd like to sponsor me then please click the link in my user profile! Thank you!

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:18 pm

TommyToonAA wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Oops I've done that on a dropped kerb before. Angle too shallow, it was wet and i ended up on my arse.
I did that before but instead ended up head first in a flower bed in front of a s*** load of people <disgrace>
Trust me, landing in mud beats grinding across train track gravel for 15 feet

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:23 am

I fall off mine quite regularly
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm considering getting some knee and elbow pads so that I can save myself some skin.

So I suppose the choice, knee and elbow pads but look like a huge gay, or unprotected and covered in road rash scars...

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:01 pm

Hjl wrote:I'm considering getting some knee and elbow pads so that I can save myself some skin.

So I suppose the choice, knee and elbow pads but look like a huge gay, or unprotected and covered in road rash scars...
Or you could just not fall off your bike <ok>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Hjl wrote:I'm considering getting some knee and elbow pads so that I can save myself some skin.

I wouldn't worry with the pads to be honest. I can almost certainly guarantee that you won't make the same mistake again (this coming from someone who fell in a similar fashion about 2 years ago and never again since... definitely just jinxed myself though) plus the more you ride your bike, the better your handling skills will become :)

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:22 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:

Or you could just not fall off your bike <ok>.

pft, with my co-ordination its amazing i can stand up without falling over, let alone stay on my bike...

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:20 am

TommyToonAA wrote:

I wouldn't worry with the pads to be honest. I can almost certainly guarantee that you won't make the same mistake again (this coming from someone who fell in a similar fashion about 2 years ago and never again since... definitely just jinxed myself though) plus the more you ride your bike, the better your handling skills will become :)
This. You'd look like a small child does on a bike with stabilisers. You'll be absolutely fine in the future because you'll be switched on to how you're handling the bike over the tracks. Worst thing you could do is go overly cautiously as you want your momentum to take you in a confident straight line.

I had a very similar fall in Croydon as I went round a 90 degree corner that joined a road with tram tracks and I got the angle badly wrong with the front wheel which went into the rut of the track. Stacked it and scraped half my face. Was lucky my helmet took most of the damage and even luckier I stick to the lights so a tram wasn't coming! I go a different route now which takes me straight over the tracks rather than trying to join them.

My latest fall was getting too tired on Toys Hill in Kent and I got too close to the leaves and dirt at the side of the road. My back wheel hit the mud and I went down with the bike in place rather than it taking me forward. Lesson is to focus more and look forward rather than down, regardless of how much it's killing you!

My most annoying fall was when I was learning how to ride clipped in. I unclipped as we were pulling up to red lights and then tapped the pedal again to carry me to junction. Of course somehow in tapping the pedal I clipped in without realising. Cue coming to a complete stop and then going to put my 'unclipped' foot down only to discover I was still attached. It was like slow motion the way I just fell sideways. On the same ride I was then determined not to make the same mistake and my foot was well and truly unclipped. Of course I then balanced myself wrong and proceeded to topple the other way where my other foot was still mounted to the pedal.

I no longer commute clipped in. Too much stopping and starting and too many unpredictable traffic manoeuvres to contend with.
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:18 pm

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who falls off. The annoying part was that I knew I had to hit the tracks at a sharper angle but wasn't paying enough attention. Luckily the only scrapes are on my knee and elbow. My entire shoulder and arm hurts now far more than my skin does. I feel like I pulled a muscle or some thing.

ScottW1886
Pope's Goalposts

Post by ScottW1886 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:51 pm

My father managed to break his ankle in 3 places and tear all his ankle ligaments due to his foot ending up at a 90 degree angle to his leg... lost his balance on some mud and ended up on the deck with his 2 day old bike on top of him.

I got a new bike out of it so every cloud and all that!

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:19 pm

ScottW1886 wrote:My father managed to break his ankle in 3 places and tear all his ankle ligaments due to his foot ending up at a 90 degree angle to his leg... lost his balance on some mud and ended up on the deck with his 2 day old bike on top of him.

I got a new bike out of it so every cloud and all that!
Jesus.... I thought cycling was supposed to be an easier way of exercising. It seems that way more people get hurt cycling than running.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Just got a bike and rode for the first time in over 15 years. After about an hour's cycle this morning my knee is f***ing killing me <laugh>. Thanks to this thread, I've now fixed the seat height <gent>. Good work, TF.

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:24 pm

skalpel wrote:Just got a bike and rode for the first time in over 15 years. After about an hour's cycle this morning my knee is f***ing killing me <laugh>. Thanks to this thread, I've now fixed the seat height <gent>. Good work, TF.
Resident bike mechanic <awe>
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi