Crappy atmosphere at games. AVB weighs in.

Holystone...
Grammer Police Chef
Grammer Police Chef

Crappy atmosphere at games. AVB weighs in.

Post by Holystone... » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:38 pm

AVB at Spurs is very brave man. He is accusing fans of not getting behnd team and creating a good atmosphere.

Here's part of the piece from the Independent.co.uk

Tottenham search for ways to spur more fervour in fans
Supporters’ trust flies flag to boost sagging Lane atmosphere after AVB’s stinging criticism
Although Andre Villas-Boas’s frank judgement of the atmosphere at White Hart Lane was a surprise at the time, it will not have been to Tottenham Hotspur.

On Sunday evening Villas-Boas went where many managers fear to tread, but the club – who appreciate what a problem this is – had already been working on exactly this issue earlier that day. The Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust, in the form of vice-president Darren Alexander and secretary Katrina Law, were in White Hart Lane hours before the turnstiles opened, measuring up the blocks of the Park Lane lower where they hope to introduce a large “surfing” flag.

The last remaining barrier to this is a meeting with the safety advisory board of the local Haringey Council on 5 November.

The THST has been working constructively with the club for months for new and updated flags and banners inside the ground, which – Uefa games aside – should also hang down from the balconies of the Park Lane and Paxton stands. The THST is taking submissions from fans on designs for new banners, and the club are relaxed about supporters using the club crest, while the names of former players or the famous words of Bill Nicholson and Arthur Rowe might also be used.

Tottenham are, on this issue, sympathetic to the THST, understanding the benefit of increased engagement, especially with younger supporters. Some club officials are excited by the prospect of seeing White Hart Lane decked in flags and banners, not just for their sake but for the international television audience. There is a hope among fans for safe standing at White Hart Lane, on which the club are keeping a watching brief.

There is certainly a wide understanding that the atmosphere at White Hart Lane is not what it was and there was more sympathy than one might expect for Villas-Boas’s comments. “We agree with Andre that the atmosphere at White Hart Lane has been declining for some time,” Alexander of the THST told The Independent last night. “It is nowhere near as good as our atmosphere at away games. We absolutely back Andre in what he said.”

This might just be the cost of success. It has always been suspected that there is an inverse correlation between wins on the pitch and noise off it, and the evidence of Spurs could well support that. “It says to me that the more competitive we get, the worse our atmosphere gets. :roll: The expectation at White Hart Lane is so great, and now because we are chasing top four every game has a great significance.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 09642.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wearing my Newcastle hat :bandit: ....home games only burst into life when there is a goal/chance.....always good to see our away support in good voice, but is that because:
* They all sing, so joining in isn't frowned upon
* Younger more vocal fans <scratch>
* At many games, the fans stand
Ashley tells you it's raining. Do you look out the window?

Lord Porpington
Banned
Banned

Re: Crappy atmosphere at games. AVB weighs in.

Post by Lord Porpington » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:26 pm

One of the main reasons I believe the atmosphere isn't as good is because the game is becoming less and less physical.

As humans we naturally react to emotions from the players, as well as hard tackles and challenges. We all have that desire to see other humans do certain things or react to it emotionally. The game is being pussified and the fans are usually s*** because most games don't have any bite anymore.

ddrive
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ddrive » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33 pm

I have noticed there are more and more younger fans at away games these days. My first ever away game was Aston Villa 2 years ago (1-1 Leon Best) and there were not many people younger than me in the away section. Most people were in their 30s/40s/50s. These days when I go to away games there are a lot more 14/15/16 year olds.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:16 am

Attendances are more family oriented as they bring in more income on a match day, combine that with all seater stadiums makes for a far more placid crowd.

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:58 am

The first 3 responses sum it up nicely. A combination of a less emotional, passion filled game and the game becoming a family occasion means the atmosphere is not quite what it used to be.

With regards to age, I'm not so sure that the younger the crowd the better. Noise doesn't always equate to support. The majority of times I have been to away games and there have been a large portion of 16/17 year olds the atmosphere isn't always pleasant to be part of. Sure, they can be loud, but it's usually drink fuelled and not that focused on the match. Most of the time they aren't concerned with watching the match but just jumping around like idiots. I like to make a bit of noise but my primary reason for being there is to watch the football, not to be barged around by a load of drunken morons purporting to be supporters. It costs a fair whack after all.

Finally, the simple fact is that we aren't anywhere near the team that we were 10/15 years ago. Less importance in terms of our games will naturally lead to less atmosphere as the stakes aren't as high. Challenging for cups/at the top of the league brings its own pressures and with those a sense of unity - playing Fulham in a 12th/13th placed mid table battle will hardly set the pulse racing for some.
There is no sin except stupidity.

steviemac14
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by steviemac14 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:42 am

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent wrote: With regards to age, I'm not so sure that the younger the crowd the better. Noise doesn't always equate to support. The majority of times I have been to away games and there have been a large portion of 16/17 year olds the atmosphere isn't always pleasant to be part of. Sure, they can be loud, but it's usually drink fuelled and not that focused on the match. Most of the time they aren't concerned with watching the match but just jumping around like idiots. I like to make a bit of noise but my primary reason for being there is to watch the football, not to be barged around by a load of drunken morons purporting to be supporters. It costs a fair whack after all.
Ah, the "LET'S GO FUCKIN MENTAL" brigade. croutons <puke>
"I think I was eating a pie at the time."

J. Carver

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:20 am

steviemac14 wrote:
Crouching Shola Hidden Talent wrote: With regards to age, I'm not so sure that the younger the crowd the better. Noise doesn't always equate to support. The majority of times I have been to away games and there have been a large portion of 16/17 year olds the atmosphere isn't always pleasant to be part of. Sure, they can be loud, but it's usually drink fuelled and not that focused on the match. Most of the time they aren't concerned with watching the match but just jumping around like idiots. I like to make a bit of noise but my primary reason for being there is to watch the football, not to be barged around by a load of drunken morons purporting to be supporters. It costs a fair whack after all.
Ah, the "LET'S GO FUCKIN MENTAL" brigade. croutons <puke>
You have to be careful, according to some if you don't sing and make a s*** load of noise all game you aren't a true fan.

Brian Blessed would be adored.
There is no sin except stupidity.