Leicester City sack Ranieri

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Leicester City sack Ranieri

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:Not surprised. Just confirms that loyalty has no place in professional sport.

The players have seriously let him down.
I saw the Ian Wright text which says the same things.

The players have under performed this season.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:29 pm

Disgraceful decision. Weirdest thing is the timing, a 2-1 defeat in Spain isn't a bad result at all.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:31 pm

ALF wrote:Disgraceful decision. Weirdest thing is the timing, a 2-1 defeat in Spain isn't a bad result at all.
I'm inclined to agree with what one journo said on Twitter, likelihood is they've finally identified his replacement. Any result other than a win probably meant curtains for him.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:57 pm

Absolutely disgraceful from Leicester. Truly awful decision. Disgusting from the club. I really really hope they get relegated now, they more than deserve it.

Hopefully Pardew gets the job, that the level of horrendous management they deserve as punishment. If it did happen we'd have a great chance of getting the dream scenario if Pardew, Sunderland and Fat Sam all relegated in the same season.

Shocking this from Leicester though. Sickening.

Holystone...
Grammer Police Chef
Grammer Police Chef

Post by Holystone... » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:12 am

What s bunch of mugs thinking they can now get anyone remotely as good as him .
Ashley tells you it's raining. Do you look out the window?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:33 am

I still think they'll stay up.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:33 am

Donkey Toon wrote:Not surprised. Just confirms that loyalty has no place in professional sport.

He's an employee, he wasn't a Leicester out of charity. He did a very good job, then a very bad job, so they sacked him (no doubt with a big payoff).
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:18 am

Were most of the fans shouting for his head or something? Otherwise I can't understand the "I hope they go down" mentality. Its always the fans who suffer, so what victory for justice will relegation gain if they weren't desperate for him to go?

Or maybe I missed the Ranieri Out banners.

Deano
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Deano » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:28 am

I do think it was the correct decision in regards to how they done this season he has had 3 transfer windows and I would expect a manager of his class to have done better business in that time and not be in the mess which leicster currently find themselves in personally I would have made the same call

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:01 am

skalpel wrote:Were most of the fans shouting for his head or something? Otherwise I can't understand the "I hope they go down" mentality. Its always the fans who suffer, so what victory for justice will relegation gain if they weren't desperate for him to go?

I had a look at one of their forums when it was announced, the majority seemed pleased and we're hoping for Mancini. <disgrace>

It looks like they are going to approach him. Not sure he's the right choice, grossly underachieved at Man City.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 am

TBC wrote:
skalpel wrote:Were most of the fans shouting for his head or something? Otherwise I can't understand the "I hope they go down" mentality. Its always the fans who suffer, so what victory for justice will relegation gain if they weren't desperate for him to go?

I had a look at one of their forums when it was announced, the majority seemed pleased and we're hoping for Mancini. <disgrace>

It looks like they are going to approach him. Not sure he's the right choice, grossly underachieved at Man City.
Jeez <erk>

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:19 am

Pretty horrendous decision in my opinion. Obviously this season has been far from ideal for them but he should have been given the start of next to make his case. Truly a victim of his own success.
REQUIEM

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:45 am

Winning the PL gave Leicester well over £100million when you take into account the prize money plus Champions League money, plus any bonuses they will have gotten from sponsors etc.
The cost of relegation if you bounce back up is around £25million after parachute payments etc.

You wouldn't sack your managing director of a company after record profits followed by a bad year where you lose 1/4 of what you earned in the first year.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:

He's an employee, he wasn't a Leicester out of charity. He did a very good job, then a very bad job, so they sacked him (no doubt with a big payoff).
I agree. Mine wasn't an "up in arms" statement. I was pointing out the cynical reality. There is no loyalty in football and Leicester have seriously underperformed this season, due largely to under performing players. The main criticism you could lay at Ranieri's feet being that he has failed to re-motivate them for a new campaign challenge.

But then i'm of the school that says that any so called professional, in any area of work, who needs a third party to motivate them, needs to grow the f*** up.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Beautiful statement from Ranieri.

Disgusting from Leicester. If the rumours about Morgan going behind his back to the board are true then this is even worse.

Morgan is a lower half Championship CB at best, he'd be back there never mind have a Premier League winners medal if it wasn't from Ranieri.

The entire team is basically s****, on paper 17th is probably about right for that squad. If they even got top half last season it would have been a great achievement. They achieved the impossible and Ranieri was a big part of that.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Got a feeling they're going to have a poisonous atmosphere at every away game from now on.

I have no idea which manager would be stupid enough to walk into that job right now. They can't win really - keep them up and everyone will say that if he could have done it, then Ranieri would have done. They go down and he'll get the blame for it. This really is a very peculiar time for Leicester to have made this decision - I think everyone would have been a lot more understanding had they actually gone down and they'd sacked him.

The players have also dug their own grave if the rumours are true. Similar to the new manager, they also can't win regardless of what happens. Go on a miraculous run of form and stay up, they'll be vilified as they have performed so badly for the majority of the season. Go down and they'll just be labelled as s*** one season wonders who Ranieri dragged to the title.

What an absolute mess. I feel sorry for the fans but a lot of them wanted shot of him aswell.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:18 pm

Heisen wrote:Got a feeling they're going to have a poisonous atmosphere at every away game from now on.

I have no idea which manager would be stupid enough to walk into that job right now. They can't win really - keep them up and everyone will say that if he could have done it, then Ranieri would have done. They go down and he'll get the blame for it. This really is a very peculiar time for Leicester to have made this decision - I think everyone would have been a lot more understanding had they actually gone down and they'd sacked him.

The players have also dug their own grave if the rumours are true. Similar to the new manager, they also can't win regardless of what happens. Go on a miraculous run of form and stay up, they'll be vilified as they have performed so badly for the majority of the season. Go down and they'll just be labelled as s*** one season wonders who Ranieri dragged to the title.

What an absolute mess. I feel sorry for the fans but a lot of them wanted shot of him aswell.
Football is a fickle business, there will be dozens of managers queueing up for the job.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:49 pm

Last season shouldn't have even been considered in the equation. If he had kept them up he'd have done well.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Hjl wrote:Last season shouldn't have even been considered in the equation. If he had kept them up he'd have done well.
For sure. Last season was effectively like going skinny dipping in a pool full of crocodiles and coming out without a scratch on you. Their form was poor but he'd have kept them up which should have been their only aim this season. Regardless of what happened last season they are a top end championship / lower end premiership team in reality.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Heisen wrote:
Football is a fickle business, there will be dozens of managers queueing up for the job.
This. People got over it at Southampton when Adkins was sacked but replaced with the impressive Pochettino, and Hazard and Costa are back to being w*nked over despite the disgraceful season they had last year.

If a new manager comes in and keeps Leicester up, people will move on.