Post by Mifune » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:06 pm

<divax>

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: The Amamobi Arcade

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:22 pm

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Update on June 19, 2013: As a result of feedback from the Xbox community, we have changed certain policies for Xbox One reflected in this blog. Some of this information is no longer accurate — please check here for the latest.
The page it links to isn't working for me - http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Xbox One probably for me now then <divadance>!

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Now they just need to get rid of their lack of indie self-publishing and hopefully show that their console isn't as behind the PS4 in terms of available power as the specs and 3x OS thing sitting in the memory suggests. The availability of Azure is probably the one place they're ahead of Sony.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:52 pm

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Don Mattrick

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:53 pm

They were always going to do this I think. They look like the good guys now a lot more so than if they had announced they were just doing it like this originally.

Henry Hoover
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Henry Hoover » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Wow. What a U-Turn by Microsoft <yikes>

I can't believe they've backtracked, I thought they'd be far too stubborn to change their policies for the Xbone. I'm curious now as to if the damage has already been done, as I've had my heart set on PS4 for a while now, after being an avid Xbox fan for so long. It'll also be interesting to see if Sony announces anything new for the PS4 to try and piss on Microsoft's parade.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:00 pm

The Dream Boat wrote:They were always going to do this I think. They look like the good guys now a lot more so than if they had announced they were just doing it like this originally.
I highly doubt it, especially given the complete and utter clumsiness they've handled their PR surrounding this issue with. More likely they expected Sony to follow suit and push the 'digital future', until they reportedly pulled out at the last moment to massively one-up Microsoft, and avoid the infrastructure costs inherent in maintaining such an ecosystem. Now they've had to embarrass themselves and do an about turn which undermines the vision they had built for this console.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Xbox One Thread

Post by Dr. Bishop » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:04 pm

I think if Microsoft can keep on getting the better game exclusives, this could swing things in there favour. I know the price tag is higher, but I think a lot of people will realise that the Kinect comes with it and will be willing to pay the extra price.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 pm

they buckled under the pressure of my scathing criticism <roll>

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Patrick Klepek, who broke the story, is going to have a whole 5 minute interview with Marc Whitten (Xbox 'chief product officer') about it.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Beatski wrote:they buckled under the pressure of my scathing criticism <roll>
<laugh>
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Beatski wrote:they buckled under the pressure of my scathing criticism <roll>
You killed sharing digital games with 10 family members/friends! <mob>

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Cal wrote:
The Dream Boat wrote:They were always going to do this I think. They look like the good guys now a lot more so than if they had announced they were just doing it like this originally.
I highly doubt it, especially given the complete and utter clumsiness they've handled their PR surrounding this issue with. More likely they expected Sony to follow suit and push the 'digital future', until they reportedly pulled out at the last moment to massively one-up Microsoft, and avoid the infrastructure costs inherent in maintaining such an ecosystem. Now they've had to embarrass themselves and do an about turn which undermines the vision they had built for this console.
I did not know that. Scrap what I said then <roll>

B4E
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by B4E » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:19 pm

As long as I never have to use the Kinect or voice recognition, ever, then the every reason I was going to get a PS4 has just gone.
RIP

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Still not changed my mind.
Kinect spying on me, an extra £80 for a less powerful machine, prefer the PS4 exclusives, and knowing that M$ will just do this again when they think they can get away with it still puts me off.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:41 pm

the Xbone's even worse now <grr>

I've got nothing to complain about <wah>

PFT

Post by PFT » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:30 pm

I'm still going to get a PS4 , just for the plain reason that Microsoft attempted to impose them.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:43 pm

A forced U Turn. Great. What a wonderful company you are now Microsoft!

I still wont be paying extra for a less powerful machine thats main point is you not having to use a remote for your tv.

PFT

Post by PFT » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:53 pm

Also I don't think there is anything more creepy than having a camera on you, that you know is always on, regardless of what you do.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE