Pavel's eBar

What to do with empty filing cabinet in office?

Keep it, just in case.
11%
Remove it.
No votes
Shoot it.
11%
Fill with booze.
46%
Turn into modern art.
11%
Sell it to Ashley as our new star striker in exchange for a big mug and £5 SD voucher.
22%

Total votes: 37

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: Pavel's eBar

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:20 pm

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:06 pm

I feel the utmost pity for anybody who saw that and thought it was racist. I can't imagine how difficult life must be with your head wedged so firmly up your own arsehole.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Handed my notice in at work today, not really been happy where I am for a lot of last year and don't want to become one of those people who hates their job but doesn't bother doing anything about it.

Start a new job in Birmingham next month. Pretty much the same pay, although commuting will cost me £70 a month. Don't mind tho, defo need a change after 4.5 years at my current place.
Didn't you only just change jobs? <scratch>

Best of luck!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:20 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Handed my notice in at work today, not really been happy where I am for a lot of last year and don't want to become one of those people who hates their job but doesn't bother doing anything about it.

Start a new job in Birmingham next month. Pretty much the same pay, although commuting will cost me £70 a month. Don't mind tho, defo need a change after 4.5 years at my current place.
Didn't you only just change jobs? <scratch>

Best of luck!
Cheers.

Yeah in September but didn't like it so f***ing off somewhere new!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12 pm

<neg> I wouldn't recommend it, been in my job 7 and a half years and the last 6 months have been very mentally draining.

Congrats on the new job <gent>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm

skalpel wrote:
I feel the utmost pity for anybody who saw that and thought it was racist. I can't imagine how difficult life must be with your head wedged so firmly up your own arsehole.
It's always going to have a racist connotation though, doesn't make the advert outright racist, but it's irresponsible and insensitive.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:38 pm

Got my first ever bottle of Ardbeg today. Just had some, thoroughly excellent.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
skalpel wrote:
It's always going to have a racist connotation though, doesn't make the advert outright racist, but it's irresponsible and insensitive.
To you maybe. As incredible as this may seem, I don't automatically link black people with monkeys whenever the two are in some kind of proximity. I'll be more than a bit gutted if it turns out I'm alone on that one.

And lets imagine a world in which large clothes companies like H&M send out memos saying not to include black kids in certain photographs because some people might get offended by the innocuous slogans on their clothes. I don't know about you but I don't want to live in that world. I'm happy in a world in which the word "monkey" next to a little kid who happens to have brown skin does not set off alarm bells in my head, which is the world that those involved in the photograph were happy residents of until now.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:02 pm

skalpel wrote:
Don Sholeone wrote:
To you maybe. As incredible as this may seem, I don't automatically link black people with monkeys whenever the two are in some kind of proximity. I'll be more than a bit gutted if it turns out I'm alone on that one.

And lets imagine a world in which large clothes companies like H&M send out memos saying not to include black kids in certain photographs because some people might get offended by the innocuous slogans on their clothes. I don't know about you but I don't want to live in that world. I'm happy in a world in which the word "monkey" next to a little kid who happens to have brown skin does not set off alarm bells in my head, which is the world that those involved in the photograph were happy residents of until now.
Calling black people monkeys has been used to put black people down for a long time and is still often used, hence why it's still a sensitive issue for a lot of people, just because you don't associate it doesn't erase the fact that there are a lot of people out there who have had these sort of taunts thrown at them, all you have to do is look to football in Russia and Italy where you are still seeing black players having monkey chants and having bananas thrown at them.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:09 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
skalpel wrote:

Calling black people monkeys has been used to put black people down for a long time and is still often used, hence why it's still a sensitive issue for a lot of people, just because you don't associate it doesn't erase the fact that there are a lot of people out there who have had these sort of taunts thrown at them, all you have to do is look to football in Russia and Italy where you are still seeing black players having monkey chants and having bananas thrown at them.
I don't believe that the everyday life of civilised society should be subject to the pathetic beliefs of the worst kind of racist. Searing into the international conscious that it is "irresponsible" and "insensitive" not to stay constantly alert about things like having a black kid in a jumper with the word 'monkey' on it is not going to put these sort of views to death, it's going to continue them.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:59 pm

You really should try some Ardbeg 10 year old. I'm on my 3rd glass and it's excellent

* 4th glass
Last edited by Hjl on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:03 am

<laugh> <awe>

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:06 am

skalpel wrote:
Don Sholeone wrote:
I don't believe that the everyday life of civilised society should be subject to the pathetic beliefs of the worst kind of racist. Searing into the international conscious that it is "irresponsible" and "insensitive" not to stay constantly alert about things like having a black kid in a jumper with the word 'monkey' on it is not going to put these sort of views to death, it's going to continue them.
You’re both right imo. There’s a racist connection between monkeys and black people due to historical mocking. However, at the same time, causing a drama over this innocent and unassuming advert is only going to further link the two when movement should ideally be in the other direction. Take a 10/11 year old who sees this controversy: they probably would never have associated black people with monkeys, but now it’s entered their consciousness they’re more likely to associate the two. Not only that but it could well confuse a lot of young people that don’t know the context for the controversy and don’t understand why it’s bad.

It always seems odd to me that most people believe racism is taught and yet so many people constant want to indirectly teach racism, by pointing out differences, through controversies like these

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 am

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:33 pm

overseasTOON wrote:Image
Couldn't help it..

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:36 pm

ALF wrote:

<neg> I wouldn't recommend it, been in my job 7 and a half years and the last 6 months have been very mentally draining.

Cheers ALF.

Not tempted to look for a change yourself?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
ALF wrote:

Cheers ALF.

Not tempted to look for a change yourself?
It crossed my mind, was tempted to leave last year but don't have anything lined up and haven't been particularly successful applying for jobs in the past. My hours/role has completely changed for the next 9 months or so now though so hopefully that freshens things up a bit.

Southern fairy
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Southern fairy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Hjl wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:Image
Couldn't help it..
That's it. I'm calling on the army of Southern Fairies.
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Have a good Christian Atsu everybody!

[tweet][/tweet]
I had the first custom w***

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:29 pm

You know how Peter Kay cancelled a tour a couple of months back?

I'm just gonna put it out there and say "unforseen family circumstances" may mean "done a Keith Vaz".

:bandit: