The Message of Awe Thread

The great stuffing debate... In or out?

In.
25%
Out.
10%
Is it cooked? Yes? Then I don't care, give it to me.
32%
Stuffing is disgusting and I am a terrible excuse for a person.
8%
You do the Ameobi and you turn around...
26%

Total votes: 73

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: The Message of Awe Thread

Post by Hjl » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:07 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Micky Quim wrote: You two and a dog?
And a jar of peanut butter?
Watch me and 2 bulls.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:00 pm

Love the naivety of young people. Group of 4 or 5 17-18 year old lads on the train. They all worked for some call centre selling either gas or insurance, they were convinced that after a year they'd be earning "5 figures a month". Unless they were counting the numbers which came after the decimal point in their pay packet I highly doubt that <laugh>

Someone's reeled them in good and proper <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:49 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Love the naivety of young people. Group of 4 or 5 17-18 year old lads on the train. They all worked for some call centre selling either gas or insurance, they were convinced that after a year they'd be earning "5 figures a month". Unless they were counting the numbers which came after the decimal point in their pay packet I highly doubt that <laugh>

A friend of mine, who’s 18, kept trying to recruit me for her firm, which to me seemed like a pyramid scheme, saying how good it was and how you could earn up to £5000 a month. I wished her well but avoided, obviously. She messaged me a week ago saying how it was awful and she basically made no money after 4 months there...

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:06 am

Sir Bobby wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Love the naivety of young people. Group of 4 or 5 17-18 year old lads on the train. They all worked for some call centre selling either gas or insurance, they were convinced that after a year they'd be earning "5 figures a month". Unless they were counting the numbers which came after the decimal point in their pay packet I highly doubt that <laugh>

A friend of mine, who’s 18, kept trying to recruit me for her firm, which to me seemed like a pyramid scheme, saying how good it was and how you could earn up to £5000 a month. I wished her well but avoided, obviously. She messaged me a week ago saying how it was awful and she basically made no money after 4 months there...
Yeah the flipside of it is that companies who make these absurd claims should really be punished as their will always be people that buy into their claims.

Technically it probably is possible to earn £5-10k a month if you sold about 1 million insurance policies or something!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

jimileysbaldhead
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by jimileysbaldhead » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:36 am

I'm on 1% commission for every sale I make and last month earned £20 million.
God, I love selling aircraft carriers.
My problem is reconciling my gross behaviour with my net income.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:50 am

The kids of today have practically no concept of money because they have been given everything from such young ages, most have their own games consoles, newest phones, some even being bought cars after their parents paid for all the lessons, everything is just handed over and its so frequent through their life that they start to think life is easy and money is easy to come by, I do fear for a lot of them when life really kicks in.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:28 am

Don Sholeone wrote:The kids of today have practically no concept of money because they have been given everything from such young ages, most have their own games consoles, newest phones, some even being bought cars after their parents paid for all the lessons, everything is just handed over and its so frequent through their life that they start to think life is easy and money is easy to come by, I do fear for a lot of them when life really kicks in.
A bit of a wide sweeping statement.

I make miniOT do household chores for basic pocket money and if she wants to earn extra then she helps out with additional chores as I want her to understand the value of money. If she doesn't fulfill the basic chores she knows she doesn't get anything.

She saves most of the money as well and buys her own video games (unless it's a brand new release at which point I go 50/50 with her).

She wanted extra data allowance on the cheap smart phone I bought her so I told her that she'd have to pay the extra and she was fine with that.

She wanted Now TV and I said we didn't need it so she pays me monthly for it.

I know we're not the only parents amongst her friends who do this.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:26 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Don Sholeone wrote:The kids of today have practically no concept of money because they have been given everything from such young ages, most have their own games consoles, newest phones, some even being bought cars after their parents paid for all the lessons, everything is just handed over and its so frequent through their life that they start to think life is easy and money is easy to come by, I do fear for a lot of them when life really kicks in.

I make miniOT do household chores for basic pocket money and if she wants to earn extra then she helps out with additional chores as I want her to understand the value of money. If she doesn't fulfill the basic chores she knows she doesn't get anything.

She saves most of the money as well and buys her own video games (unless it's a brand new release at which point I go 50/50 with her).

She wanted extra data allowance on the cheap smart phone I bought her so I told her that she'd have to pay the extra and she was fine with that.

Good for you, but I highly doubt it's common practice. Id bet the vast majority of kids haven't had to do chores and work hard for the luxuries they have, walk around any city centre and see how many teenagers have a cheap phone, you will find them few and far between, these days a high end phone, iPad, laptop, games console, designer clothes etc are seen by a hell of a lot of people as "essentials" for their kids rather than luxury's to be earned.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:42 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:

Good for you, but I highly doubt it's common practice. Id bet the vast majority of kids haven't had to do chores and work hard for the luxuries they have, walk around any city centre and see how many teenagers have a cheap phone, you will find them few and far between, these days a high end phone, iPad, laptop, games console, designer clothes etc are seen by a hell of a lot of people as "essentials" for their kids rather than luxury's to be earned.
It's easy enough for a parent to get a decent high end phone on a contract for less than £20 a month. I chose to get a cheap crappy one for miniOT simply because she's clumsy as hell. She still slams doors into her feet and falls down stairs on a weekly basis <laugh> which reminds me; I've got to get her tested for dyspraxia...

In terms of laptops, consoles and that ilk; paying by credit is pretty common place and given that these devices are built to last quite a few years means it's not abhorrent for kids to have them if parents are prepared to pay towards them. I'd even go so far to say that a decent laptop is a mandatory requirement for kids in education now as a lot of homework is now completed online.

MiniOT has some designer clothes which she wears when going out with friends or for family occasions and in the main she wears bog standard clothing and non-designer labels when at home. Perhaps this is why you see kids in city centre areas wearing labels?

I do think that kids today are more spoilt than the days of my youth but you make it sound endemic and that society has collapsed.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Their parents got houses dirt cheap and had jobs for life or easy 'government' jobs with good pensions. I'd much rather have a house, car and be able to retire at 55-65 than have the latest video games and phone and have to work until a month before I die.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:55 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Don Sholeone wrote:
It's easy enough for a parent to get a decent high end phone on a contract for less than £20 a month. I chose to get a cheap crappy one for miniOT simply because she's clumsy as hell. She still slams doors into her feet and falls down stairs on a weekly basis <laugh> which reminds me; I've got to get her tested for dyspraxia...

In terms of laptops, consoles and that ilk; paying by credit is pretty common place and given that these devices are built to last quite a few years means it's not abhorrent for kids to have them if parents are prepared to pay towards them. I'd even go so far to say that a decent laptop is a mandatory requirement for kids in education now as a lot of homework is now completed online.

MiniOT has some designer clothes which she wears when going out with friends or for family occasions and in the main she wears bog standard clothing and non-designer labels when at home. Perhaps this is why you see kids in city centre areas wearing labels?

I do think that kids today are more spoilt than the days of my youth but you make it sound endemic and that society has collapsed.
My niece is spoilt rotten. My brother split from his wife when she was 5 and they both spend a ridiculous amount of money on her. She gets anything she wants and doesnt appreciate presents so these days I buy her something useful rather than the most in demand present like I did when she was younger - she's 10 now. But she is still really loving and good fun.... she just has no idea about the reality of money

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:16 am

Micky Quim wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:

My niece is spoilt rotten. My brother split from his wife when she was 5 and they both spend a ridiculous amount of money on her. She gets anything she wants and doesnt appreciate presents so these days I buy her something useful rather than the most in demand present like I did when she was younger - she's 10 now. But she is still really loving and good fun.... she just has no idea about the reality of money
<erk> What country was this in?
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Going to one of these later http://hickorys.co.uk

Meatlovers <perv> paradise <awe>

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:28 pm

seatonsluicetoon wrote:
Micky Quim wrote: My niece is spoilt rotten. My brother split from his wife when she was 5 and they both spend a ridiculous amount of money on her. She gets anything she wants and doesnt appreciate presents so these days I buy her something useful rather than the most in demand present like I did when she was younger - she's 10 now. But she is still really loving and good fun.... she just has no idea about the reality of money
<erk> What country was this in?
<laugh> <erm>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:17 pm

Early weekend as train operator advises to complete journey home by 3pm.

I'll be in the pub in an hour :)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:33 pm

overseasTOON wrote:Early weekend as train operator advises to complete journey home by 3pm.

<diva>

I'm working from home today, sent 4 emails so far and two of them were to mates.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:49 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:Early weekend as train operator advises to complete journey home by 3pm.

<diva>

I'm working from home today, sent 4 emails so far and two of them were to mates.
I worked from home yesterday and was involved in a 5 minute video conference at 9:15 and that was me done for the day.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:19 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
<diva>

I worked from home yesterday and was involved in a 5 minute video conference at 9:15 and that was me done for the day.
I hope you had a shirt and tie on with your underpants

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:19 pm

I worked from home a couple of times last week, but for some reason it's really frowned upon at my place. They give staff laptops in order to make us "mobile", yet they want you to come in and sit at your desk anyway, even if the weather is absolutely s**** <laugh>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:53 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:I worked from home a couple of times last week, but for some reason it's really frowned upon at my place. They give staff laptops in order to make us "mobile", yet they want you to come in and sit at your desk anyway, even if the weather is absolutely s**** <laugh>.
The whole "must be at your desk 9-5" attitude is so outdated.

Somewhere I used to work built a new building, nobody had there own desk and there weren't enough desks for the amount of staff. The idea being that staff were to be encouraged to work flexibly and work from home, problem was managers were dinosaurs who thought if staff weren't at their deal then they weren't working. So you can imagine how that one worked out <laugh>