The ToonForum Whisky Club

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Re: The ToonForum Whisky Club

Post by Aldridge Prior » Thu May 10, 2018 3:54 am

Tsi wrote:
Tullamore dew 12 yr, Glendalough 7yr, Bushmills 10yr and Jameson black barrel <gent>
Chappy wrote:
As a rule of thumb they're generally non-peaty and quite sweet.

Value for money wise you can't really go wrong with a Bushmills 10 year old. Can get bottles for £25 in some places <ok>

Other nice Irish whiskeys are Teeling (both Single malt & Single grain), Green Spot, Redbreast (any age) and Powers Signature Release Single Pot Still.

Won't go far wrong with any of those <gent>
Hjl wrote:
I don't drink a lot of Irish, but I second black barrel.
Cheers lads, familiar with most of those names, I might have a gander <cheers>

Hjl wrote:I dont know if you can get this in the UK, but try and find one of these. Both very good rums, im not a huge rum drinker but these are my go-tos

Image Image
Both available on Amazon. Was drinking that Diplomatico last weekend and it's really nice for a measure or two but I found it too sickly sweet. Loads of flavour though, beats the arse off most of the spiced rums which I'm not a huge fan of.

I still think Appleton Estate 12yr will take some beating but it is best part of £50 a bottle over here.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu May 10, 2018 4:24 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:I really shouldn't come on this thread when I'm trying to make it to Saturday before having a drink again <neg>
The crazy rules you live by!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 am

Hjl wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:I really shouldn't come on this thread when I'm trying to make it to Saturday before having a drink again <neg>
The crazy rules you live by!
<wah>

I know! Drank 6 days in a row last week (breaking my "any 3 days in 7 rule", so to balance it out I'm not drinking Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday this week!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu May 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Ok update on the navy strength rum really nice but f*** me do i have a raging hangover also first time in years I've fell over pissed so I'm aching and sore as f*** as well <diverk>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu May 10, 2018 2:30 pm

Tsi wrote:Ok update on the navy strength rum really nice but **** me do i have a raging hangover also first time in years I've fell over pissed so I'm aching and sore as **** as well <diverk>
<laugh>

Rum in my opinion is one of the worst for hangovers. Probably only beaten by Pernod and Absinthe, both of which should come with a health warning.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu May 10, 2018 5:05 pm

Tsi wrote:Ok update on the navy strength rum really nice but **** me do i have a raging hangover also first time in years I've fell over pissed so I'm aching and sore as **** as well <diverk>
I've gotten old enough now that hangovers take me 2-3 days to get over. I deliberately control myself to try to avoid them.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Thu May 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Hjl wrote:
I've gotten old enough now that hangovers take me 2-3 days to get over. I deliberately control myself to try to avoid them.
Ya gret fanny <laugh>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu May 10, 2018 6:52 pm

I generally drink for enjoyment rather than drinking to get pissed, being hungover just isn't worth the hassle now. If I'm bladdered it takes me 2 nights sleep to fully recover too <laugh>

Usually on a Friday or Saturday I'd have 2 or 3 decent beers (double IPAs etc) and a whisky and I'm happy with that.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu May 10, 2018 8:35 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:I generally drink for enjoyment rather than drinking to get pissed, being hungover just isn't worth the hassle now. If I'm bladdered it takes me 2 nights sleep to fully recover too <laugh>

Usually on a Friday or Saturday I'd have 2 or 3 decent beers (double IPAs etc) and a whisky and I'm happy with that.
Same here just thought f*** it, won't be doing that again that's for sure <erk>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu May 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:I generally drink for enjoyment rather than drinking to get pissed, being hungover just isn't worth the hassle now. If I'm bladdered it takes me 2 nights sleep to fully recover too <laugh>

Most nights i just sit down when everyone has gone to bed and drink a glass of whisky. I go through about a bottle a week, sometimes one every two weeks. Is that crazy? im not sure, probably not too much.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri May 11, 2018 8:46 am

Just picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey in Tesco for £15 (reduced from £23). Great price for a solid everyday bourbon.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Fri May 11, 2018 11:24 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:Just picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey in Tesco for £15 (reduced from £23). Great price for a solid everyday bourbon.
If you like regular Turkey then youll love 101. See if you can pick up a bottle, its great!

I opened a bottle of Lagavulin 16 last night, my mum brought me a bottle with her from the UK, apparently its only £55 in England, its about $120 here (£90)

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri May 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Hjl wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Just picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey in Tesco for £15 (reduced from £23). Great price for a solid everyday bourbon.
If you like regular Turkey then youll love 101. See if you can pick up a bottle, its great!

I opened a bottle of Lagavulin 16 last night, my mum brought me a bottle with her from the UK, apparently its only £55 in England, its about $120 here (£90)
Yeah usually pick up a litre of 101 if I'm ever traveling through duty free. Rare Breed is decent too.

Yeah you can pick the Lagavulin 16 up for under £50 here.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed May 16, 2018 11:31 am

Aldi winning awards
Two Aldi whiskies that cost under £20 have been named as some of the best in the world - including a bottle that sells for just £12.99.

The budget supermarket chain scooped six prizes in total for its own brand whiskies at the prestigious International Spirits Challenge this week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ ... WORLD.html

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed May 16, 2018 11:32 am

Tsi wrote:Aldi winning awards
Two Aldi whiskies that cost under £20 have been named as some of the best in the world - including a bottle that sells for just £12.99.

The budget supermarket chain scooped six prizes in total for its own brand whiskies at the prestigious International Spirits Challenge this week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ ... WORLD.html
Whenever this happens it's impossible to get hold of them!

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed May 16, 2018 11:37 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Or they put the prices up <laugh>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed May 16, 2018 11:43 am

Tsi wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Or they put the prices up <laugh>
And that <laugh>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 pm

How is that even possible? Blind luck?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed May 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Hjl wrote:How is that even possible? Blind luck?
Or the judges blind drunk <whistle>

OK just looked at the awards and it seems that every spirit entered got an award <laugh>

http://www.internationalspiritschalleng ... 17-results

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun May 20, 2018 11:51 am

Gents...

I'm looking for a good whisky to have with a cigar. Usually I have a cigar with coffee, as they go well together, and every whisky I've had with a cigar in the past hasn't gone well (probably because they were Speyside Malts and the cigar ruined the flavour as Speyside Whiskies are sweet). So will probably have to be an Islay Whisky...

Any ideas?
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.