Books

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Books

Post by Seagull » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks ToonSi and Secret Ingredient! Hopefully I'll enjoy the Rum Diary as much as I did Fear and Loathing, then I'll check out the rest of your recommendations!
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano

ToonSi
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by ToonSi » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:53 pm

I want curly hair wrote:Thanks ToonSi and Secret Ingredient! Hopefully I'll enjoy the Rum Diary as much as I did Fear and Loathing, then I'll check out the rest of your recommendations!
Rum Diary is an awesome book, although don't expect a cacophony of illicit substance abuse and the like. Definitely one of my favourites of HST alongside Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas & Hells Angels.
“Let us toast to animal pleasures, to escapism, to rain on the roof and instant coffee, to unemployment insurance and library cards, to absinthe and good-hearted landlords, to music and warm bodies and contraceptives... and to the "good life", whatever it is and wherever it happens to be.”

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:32 am

Just finished reading A Clockwork Orange and just started reading The Man who Broke into Auschwitz. Hoping it's good.

Badgers Assemble
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Badgers Assemble » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Let the great world spin - Colum Mccann
Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Yacob » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:01 pm

The Catcher In The Rye-J.D Salinger-That's a classic

MrsFeenee
Pope's Goalposts

Post by MrsFeenee » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Mr favourite book of all time is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
A book based on what would happen if there was a long neclear war - how what was left of society would respond, how they would attempt to repopulate the earth if a lot of women (and men) had been left infertile from the nuclear stuff, and what justice system would be imposed. It's terrifying because it's not beyond the realms of possibility. It's kind of a science fiction/crime/war/romance all rolled into one.

Some great recommendations on this thread, I have just got a kindle so hopefully i can download some of the suggestions!
...what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. Liam Neeson, Taken

ToonSi
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by ToonSi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:44 pm

MrsFeenee wrote:Mr favourite book of all time is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
A book based on what would happen if there was a long neclear war - how what was left of society would respond, how they would attempt to repopulate the earth if a lot of women (and men) had been left infertile from the nuclear stuff, and what justice system would be imposed. It's terrifying because it's not beyond the realms of possibility. It's kind of a science fiction/crime/war/romance all rolled into one.

Some great recommendations on this thread, I have just got a kindle so hopefully i can download some of the suggestions!
Thanks Mrs Feenee for the recommendation. Just bought it as that sounds my kind of book :) <cheers>
“Let us toast to animal pleasures, to escapism, to rain on the roof and instant coffee, to unemployment insurance and library cards, to absinthe and good-hearted landlords, to music and warm bodies and contraceptives... and to the "good life", whatever it is and wherever it happens to be.”

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:05 pm

list updated *

*i'll update the list with any new recommendation so instead of going through page after page they'll all be there on the OP

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:12 pm

my wife has recommended

the waiting room - F G Cottam

'Martin Stride is a retired rock star, enjoying the quiet life with his young family on their beautiful estate. On the edge of his grounds lies a derelict Edwardian railway station waiting room once used to transport troops in The Great War. Silent for many years, it has become a playground for Martin's children but now they won't go near it.
Strange occurrences in the waiting room lead Martin to seek the help of TV's favourite ghost-hunter Julian Creed. But Creed's psychic ability is a fabrication to gain viewers. He doesn't believe in the paranormal. Until he spends a night in The Waiting Room.'

not my type of book but others might enjoy it

Whitchester Mag
Papiss Demba Cisse: My Own Personal Santa Claus
Papiss Demba Cisse: My Own Personal Santa Claus

Post by Whitchester Mag » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:13 am

the room.
Twitter: @spenceh95

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Nearly finished 'Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe' by Norman Davies.

Well worth a read as it covers kingdoms whose history has been absorbed by other nations to the extent that it's claimed as thier own or simply hidden.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:01 pm

overseasTOON wrote:Nearly finished 'Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe' by Norman Davies.

Well worth a read as it covers kingdoms whose history has been absorbed by other nations to the extent that it's claimed as thier own or simply hidden.
i'll add that to my ever increasing list of books to read sounds like the sort of book i'd like just need to find the time

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Fixed 'Nineteen Eighty Four' in the OP because '1984' was bothering my obsessive, pretentious mind.

Acid Hippo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Acid Hippo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:03 am

skalpel wrote:Fixed 'Nineteen Eighty Four' in the OP because '1984' was bothering my obsessive, pretentious mind.
And I just fixed it to 'Nineteen Eighty-Four' ;)
<monster>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:05 am

acid hippo wrote:
skalpel wrote:Fixed 'Nineteen Eighty Four' in the OP because '1984' was bothering my obsessive, pretentious mind.
And I just fixed it to 'Nineteen Eighty-Four' ;)
<laugh> <applause> <applause> <applause>

Hatem Is A Geordie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hatem Is A Geordie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Sad, sad people.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:29 am

Hatem Is A Geordie wrote:Sad, sad people.
1347 posts...

Hatem Is A Geordie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hatem Is A Geordie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:35 am

I never said I wasn't sad.

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Just started reading Beyond Good And Evil - Nietzsche