Poll: Do you (or did you) enjoy your job?

Do you (or did you) enjoy your job?

Yes, always - every day
8%
Yes, generally I do
39%
Sometimes, on and off (let's say 50/50)
22%
Occasionally
14%
No, rarely
14%
No, Never
3%

Total votes: 36

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)

Post by daib0 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Such a simple question really. And quite timely as we approach the Easter hols

I ask because in spite of occasional frustrations I could never imagine doing something different to what I do (which is of course playing the cello, and not telling jokes ot organizing inter-forum games!).

Just vote ONE option, but do please share your thoughts in the thread. I hope this hasn't cropped up before, bad luck if so!!!

<scratch> :)
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Poll: Do you (or did you) enjoy your job?

Post by skalpel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:09 pm

I'm self employed and my job is actually an assortment of different stuff that I enjoy doing. It can mean crap loads of work sometimes and no work other times rather than a constant daily medium amount and tbh I prefer it that way.

I went for the top option. Genuinely every day for years now I remind myself how stupidly f***ing lucky I am to have ended up in this position. I have 0 paper qualifications, I should be getting rejection letters from Greggs.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:47 pm

No, pretty much never. It's easy enough and it pays well enough for my life at the minute but there's no potential for progression and it's not something I want to do for much longer.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:21 pm

Loved my job and still do the odd bit here and there, some aspects of it f***ed me off but in general i'm one of the lucky few that enjoyed/enjoy their job.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Hate it. Soul destroying and boring.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:09 am

Half of my occupation is great, but all the paperwork that comes with it is awful and makes me want to quit.

No, I'm not a cop.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:33 am

You play the cello for a living? That's awesome <awe>.

I configure healthcare IT systems. Some days I wake up looking forward to getting into work, other days I think about throwing myself down the stairs and breaking a leg so I don't have to go. Today is the latter.

Best job I've ever had though, but then I've only ever had desperately terrible jobs prior to this one.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:36 am

Mortgage adviser

Love dealing with people and often have a right laugh at work, the paperwork is absolutely vile though.

I was too immature to stick in at college and didn't go to uni, but to have qualifications and be considered a professional is nice, and the money is decent.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:35 am

It's tough to enjoy an office job, it's more about the people you're working with that will make it enjoyable or not for me. I currently support externally funded projects (mainly EU funded) and the amount of rules, red tape and complete inflexibility is utterly ridiculous and frustrating. Speaking to Project Officers at the European Commission is like speaking with a cyborg.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:37 am

I manage a team developing new drugs - generally love it but the as its a corporate company the politics can be a right pain in the ass sometimes

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)

Post by daib0 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:49 am

really interesting reading these answers, and real honest too. Having a real wide cross is what makes this forum click <cheers>
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:36 am

daib0 wrote:really interesting reading these answers, and real honest too. Having a real wide cross is what makes this forum click <cheers>
A few years back 99% of users were accountants.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:42 am

I work for NHS Blood and Transplant, saving lives every day feels pretty good <roll>
work with some good people as well, which obviously helps. the whole culture around the trust is really positive.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Beatski wrote:I work for NHS Blood and Transplant, saving lives every day feels pretty good <roll>
work with some good people as well, which obviously helps. the whole culture around the trust is really positive.
No pun intended <roll>

I gave blood once but felt like s*** afterwards. If I could donate 1/2 pint then I'd be more inclined to do it again.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Financial Analyst. I've had tough fortnight and my firm is managed in an interesting way but generally I do enjoy my job. It's very varied, we have good people in our office, it's genuinely interesting and its basically about being an opinionated git. It's also one of those jobs that gives rise to many possible career paths in the future.

7am starts though <neg>
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:Mortgage adviser

Love dealing with people and often have a right laugh at work, the paperwork is absolutely vile though.

I was too immature to stick in at college and didn't go to uni, but to have qualifications and be considered a professional is nice, and the money is decent.
aw man could have saved myself some wasted time with an adviser in November if I'd knew!
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm doing a compulsory year long placement for my degree at the minute in an accountancy role. It's OK. They've offered me a place after I graduate and want to put me through my accountancy exams. It's grim though as it means I would be earning s**** money for a few years and I'm already 27 for f*** sake. Paying the price for f***ing around/being a cronut when I was younger instead of knuckling down <wenger>
I dunno

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Duke wrote:I'm doing a compulsory year long placement for my degree at the minute in an accountancy role. It's OK. They've offered me a place after I graduate and want to put me through my accountancy exams. It's grim though as it means I would be earning s**** money for a few years and I'm already 27 for **** sake. Paying the price for f***ing around/being a cronut when I was younger instead of knuckling down <wenger>
I'd love to be one of those people who say 'I love my job' or 'I look forward going to work', can't see it happening any time soon though <laugh>

We all become a slave to £ <erm>

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Duke wrote:I'm doing a compulsory year long placement for my degree at the minute in an accountancy role. It's OK. They've offered me a place after I graduate and want to put me through my accountancy exams. It's grim though as it means I would be earning s**** money for a few years and I'm already 27 for f*** sake. Paying the price for f***ing around/being a cronut when I was younger instead of knuckling down <wenger>
About half the people I know who've done this have quit and paid back all their training, it was that bad.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Duke wrote:I'm doing a compulsory year long placement for my degree at the minute in an accountancy role. It's OK. They've offered me a place after I graduate and want to put me through my accountancy exams. It's grim though as it means I would be earning s**** money for a few years and I'm already 27 for **** sake. Paying the price for f***ing around/being a cronut when I was younger instead of knuckling down <wenger>
I'd love to be one of those people who say 'I love my job' or 'I look forward going to work', can't see it happening any time soon though <laugh>

We all become a slave to £ <erm>
I think the only way I would ever be truly happy in that sense is if I was financially able to pack in work altogether.