Other
4%

Total votes: 53

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Re: General Election 2017

Post by Aldridge Prior » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:55 am

Tories and DUP sign £1bn confidence and supply deal. Turns out there is a magic money tree after all.

Genuinely curious to see what Conservative voters think of this, I'm not just spoiling for an argument.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:Tories and DUP sign £1bn confidence and supply deal. Turns out there is a magic money tree after all.

Genuinely curious to see what Conservative voters think of this, I'm not just spoiling for an argument.
Tories, talk about having no self-respect or decency. Doesn't a coalition government make a mockery of politics? I'm not an expert but everyone ended up with the representation that the public voted for. So why should two parties be allowed to form an agreement to support each other on things that they might not agree on in return for financial gain? The Tories should have been made to make do with what they had and if they didn't like it then back to the polls.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:55 am

Most political systems in the world see coalition as the normal way to rule a country.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:40 pm

f***ing hell man <laugh>

If you needed more proof that Labour are no longer for the working class and would much rather win over gullible middle class students here it is. <whistle>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Surely that's a piss take.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:32 am

Magdia wrote:Image

f***ing hell man <laugh>

If you needed more proof that Labour are no longer for the working class and would much rather win over gullible middle class students here it is. <whistle>
Theresa May went round some provincial towns with a bus full of actors taking fake photos of fake crowds showing their fake support, and you criticise this?

Let's talk about that magic money tree again, the one that can grow £1.5bn for 10 seats in NI but doesn't work when the labour party ask for a (very reasonable) end to the 1% pay cap for public services.

f***ing vile mob.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:21 am

Aldridge Prior wrote:
Magdia wrote:Image

f***ing hell man <laugh>

Theresa May went round some provincial towns with a bus full of actors taking fake photos of fake crowds showing their fake support, and you criticise this?

Let's talk about that magic money tree again, the one that can grow £1.5bn for 10 seats in NI but doesn't work when the labour party ask for a (very reasonable) end to the 1% pay cap for public services.

f***ing vile mob.
I'm not going to post every political thing I see on here <laugh> . This just seemed amusing and I also voted Lib Dem so criticise who you want at least I know I'm not part of the ideological t** for tat policies and propaganda in the newspapers that is currently knacking the country. <awe>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:26 am

May is an abysmal politician whose lack of leadership and command of hot air set a new low in the history of British prime ministers. The use of public money to prop up her grey, corpselike government is an obscene abuse of office for party political gain, and its not the first time the Tories have done this either.

If this Corbyn poster is real then it's hilarious and people can laugh at it without having to preempt a bunch of whataboutery. This has pretty much defined the Corbyn campaign's defence mechanism: "Oh yeah? Well what about May doing X?" It feels just a little bit creepy to me when a politician is rendered immune to criticism in the eyes of his supporters merely by dint of the awfulness of another politician.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:40 am

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:11 am

Whilst the surge of young people taking an interest in politics is great, if Labour ever did get in they'd probably take us back to the 1970s. That's one theory as to why a lot of disgruntled SNP voters voted for the Tories in the General Election. The theory being that they were unhappy with the SNP but those who voted Tory were the ones old enough to remember the state the country was in in the 1970s under labour.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:22 am

Don't mind that poster tbh. It's lots of West London lefty comedians* doing a gig to their base to raise money. Nowt wrong with thanking your base. It's hardly for the young though, very middle aged

* not using that term to denigrate, I like Shappi and Hardy (when he's not doing sixth form politics jokes)
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:50 am

skalpel wrote:May is an abysmal politician whose lack of leadership and command of hot air set a new low in the history of British prime ministers. The use of public money to prop up her grey, corpselike government is an obscene abuse of office for party political gain, and its not the first time the Tories have done this either.

If this Corbyn poster is real then it's hilarious and people can laugh at it without having to preempt a bunch of whataboutery. This has pretty much defined the Corbyn campaign's defence mechanism: "Oh yeah? Well what about May doing X?" It feels just a little bit creepy to me when a politician is rendered immune to criticism in the eyes of his supporters merely by dint of the awfulness of another politician.
May's entire campaign was based on lies and whataboutery/scaremongering, then when she clings onto power and does several genuinely cunty things off the bounce, I'm naturally going to question where someone's priorities lie when they scrutinise something positive.

Corbyn isn't immune to criticism either, but I can't find much to disagree with, at least not under the circumstances. Yes, the poster looks a bit cringe, but if he's engaging young people and giving hope for a better future then what harm is it doing?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:36 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:May's entire campaign was based on lies and whataboutery/scaremongering, then when she clings onto power and does several genuinely cunty things off the bounce, I'm naturally going to question where someone's priorities lie when they scrutinise something positive.

Corbyn isn't immune to criticism either, but I can't find much to disagree with, at least not under the circumstances. Yes, the poster looks a bit cringe, but if he's engaging young people and giving hope for a better future then what harm is it doing?
Pointing out her whataboutery as a defence of your own whataboutery is just more whataboutery <whistle> <roll>.

Anyway, I reckon that poster is cringe-funny because it's a collection of people whose ideology just did worse at election than the shittiest Tory lineup in history all patting each other on the back as though they won. John McDonnell, Paul Mason and Tariq Ali are hardly going to draw the kids in, lets be honest. It's like having a Theresa May post-campaign celebration gig with Philip Hammond, Toby Young and Tim Montgomerie.

About his immunity to criticism and finding something to disagree with, well, I've found that his supporters (as distinct from the wider pool of people who simply voted Labour) immediately start talking about the Tories when something like this comes up:
SpoilerShow
Corbyn: "Hamas is dedicated to bringing about long term peace, social justice and political justice in the region".

Hamas Charter: "There is no solution to the Palestinian problem except by Jihad. The initiatives, proposals and International Conferences are but a waste of time, an exercise in futility [...] We must spread the spirit of Jihad among the [Islamic] Umma, clash with the enemies and join the ranks of the Jihad fighters. [...] 'The time will not come until Muslims will fight the Jews (and kill them); until the Jews hide behind rocks and trees, which will cry: O Muslim! there is a Jew hiding behind me, come on and kill him!'"
I disagree with him, and I'm sure you do too. So why is it that every time this sort of thing is brought up, few of his supporters are willing to simply accept that this is a stupid opinion that he has never retracted? It's at best so naive as to make him a dangerous man to have messing with the Israel-Palestine problem, and at worst an active whitewash and misrepresentation of the intentions of a genocidal terrorist group. I think many people don't want to face up to the fact that they've made a bargain with themselves to ignore his defense of Jihadists and Islamists so long as the Labour manifesto gets through and starts improving the lives of the poorest in this country. That's a compromise some people have made, and fair enough if they can do that, but rather than admit to having made it, many would rather hide behind the fanatics screaming "Tory smear". Criticism is due where it is due.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:16 pm

skalpel wrote:
Aldridge Prior wrote:May's entire campaign was based on lies and whataboutery/scaremongering, then when she clings onto power and does several genuinely cronutty things off the bounce, I'm naturally going to question where someone's priorities lie when they scrutinise something positive.

About his immunity to criticism and finding something to disagree with, well, I've found that his supporters (as distinct from the wider pool of people who simply voted Labour) immediately start talking about the Tories when something like this comes up:
SpoilerShow
Corbyn: "Hamas is dedicated to bringing about long term peace, social justice and political justice in the region".

Hamas Charter: "There is no solution to the Palestinian problem except by Jihad. The initiatives, proposals and International Conferences are but a waste of time, an exercise in futility [...] We must spread the spirit of Jihad among the [Islamic] Umma, clash with the enemies and join the ranks of the Jihad fighters. [...] 'The time will not come until Muslims will fight the Jews (and kill them); until the Jews hide behind rocks and trees, which will cry: O Muslim! there is a Jew hiding behind me, come on and kill him!'"
I disagree with him, and I'm sure you do too. So why is it that every time this sort of thing is brought up, few of his supporters are willing to simply accept that this is a stupid opinion that he has never retracted? It's at best so naive as to make him a dangerous man to have messing with the Israel-Palestine problem, and at worst an active whitewash and misrepresentation of the intentions of a genocidal terrorist group. I think many people don't want to face up to the fact that they've made a bargain with themselves to ignore his defense of Jihadists and Islamists so long as the Labour manifesto gets through and starts improving the lives of the poorest in this country

Yes I disagree with that statement but I (correctly) assumed he was looking to start dialogue with these people, therefore calling them a bunch of cunts wouldn't get anyone anywhere would it?

He has actually retracted that statement too, saying that in hindsight he regretted it...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... ah-friends

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:Yes I disagree with that statement but I (correctly) assumed he was looking to start dialogue with these people, therefore calling them a bunch of cunts wouldn't get anyone anywhere would it?

He has actually retracted that statement too, saying that in hindsight he regretted it...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... ah-friends
So why is it a good idea to flatter fascists with praise they obviously don't deserve in order to start a dialogue with them? And secondly, how can Israel be expected to get involved in a dialogue whose arbitrator has just called the guys who want to exterminate their entire race "dedicated to peace and justice"?

Also, he said he regretted his choice of words in calling them his friends, he made no mention of retracting saying that they were dedicated to bringing about long term peace, social justice and political justice in the region.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:55 pm

May's a cronut. Simple as that. She only cares about keeping the position of Prime Minister and is willing to screw the country to make that happen.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:00 am

Really wish Corbyn supporters would speak up about his Brexit stance <erk>

It's becoming clearer by the day that he doesn't support a soft Brexit in any way.
REQUIEM

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:05 am

Ramone wrote:Really wish Corbyn supporters would speak up about his Brexit stance <erk>

It's becoming clearer by the day that he doesn't support a soft Brexit in any way.
Is soft Brexit at this point even possible? The EU have been pretty clear you can't have single market without free movement, I think hard and soft brexit are almost meaningless. The Chuka amendment yesterday was nonsense imo ~ leave the market but also have all its benefits.

I think the key difference will be how immigration rights are dealt with (how hard visas are) and then how many EU laws get repealed, like workers rights or safety.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:17 am

Brexit is a lot like a partial circumcision. You either go the whole way or f***ing forget it.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:37 am

overseasTOON wrote:Brexit is a lot like a partial circumcision. You either go the whole way or f***ing forget it.
Why is circumcision always at the fore-front of your mind for analogies?