two other successful Newcastle Sports teams in action on saturday and sunday...

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

two other successful Newcastle Sports teams in action on saturday and sunday...

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Tue May 01, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi guys,

this will be a bit left field but the team northumbria mens and womens volleyball teams are in action on saturday and sunday, being in the super 8 finals against London Polonia (Mens) and Team Durham (womens). Currently they're aiming to do the double, both teams already having won the domestic cup, as well as both the University cups and leagues. If they win this will make it the most successful year in Team Northumbria history, and I believe Volleyball England history.

To give you an idea of the quality, the mens team includes the england captain and 2 england players, and the womens team are all from abroad including an international level beach volleyball player (representing croatia).

Whilst Volleyball is a huge sport worldwide, it isn't in Britain and has received funding cuts with volleyball england receiving half a million pound a year (under a quarter of what Jack Rodwell earns a year) for everything from juniors to the senior national teams, who are currently self funded. The North east, weirdly, is a powerhouse for the sport, with top teams in Newcastle, Durham and Sunderland, with lots of local teams with decent talent. This being shown on the BBC is huge as volleyball england looks to acquire new sponsors and (hopefully) improve funding.

Link is here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/volleyball/43848448

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: two other successful Newcastle Sports teams in action on saturday and sunday...

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed May 02, 2018 9:49 am

Not volleyball, but I had a mate at school who joined the netball team. At the time all the guys took the piss out of him, lets just say that it turned out to be a very clever move on his part <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?