Coronavirus

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Coronavirus

Post by overseasTOON » Mon May 25, 2020 10:35 pm

My bath is full of gravel. f*** Cummings!

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue May 26, 2020 7:33 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:35 pm
My bath is full of gravel. f*** Cummings!
<perv>
Kindly deeds done for free!

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed May 27, 2020 5:39 pm

27 days now without any new cases detected and confirmation that there are now 0 active cases of infection. Moving to stage 4 re-opening this weekend. Must say i'm breathing a lot easier now.

We expect more cases to arise but am really impressed with how well the Guernsey Government has handled this.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Wed May 27, 2020 5:59 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:39 pm
27 days now without any new cases detected and confirmation that there are now 0 active cases of infection. Moving to stage 4 re-opening this weekend. Must say i'm breathing a lot easier now.

We expect more cases to arise but am really impressed with how well the Guernsey Government has handled this.
The thing is, it should be this simple. The virus can't survive without new hosts. Set strict lockdown rules, and enforce them, let the virus burn out. Countries that have let people piss about or took too long to start doing anything are the ones suffering long term.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed May 27, 2020 6:06 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:59 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:39 pm

The thing is, it should be this simple. The virus can't survive without new hosts. Set strict lockdown rules, and enforce them, let the virus burn out. Countries that have let people piss about or took too long to start doing anything are the ones suffering long term.
I agree. We have outlying islands that have never even had a diagnosed case that are still under tighter restrictions than any of the US States for example. It really is about a unified disciplined approach and some plain common sense.

A decent social safety net also helps though.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 27, 2020 6:22 pm

I was never worried about going to the supermarket or catching it, but obviously it will be good whenever we can move more freely. I’ve never worn a face mask, I just wear gloves in the shop, don’t touch my face until I’ve washed or sanitised my hands etc. when I get home.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Wed May 27, 2020 8:45 pm

UK has the fewest mask-wearers out of anywhere recorded. I haven’t worn one and have only seen the odd person with one on. Funny how in some countries 80+% of people wear them and in other it’s like 10%, wonder what drives that beyond government recommendations

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Wed May 27, 2020 9:00 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:45 pm
UK has the fewest mask-wearers out of anywhere recorded. I haven’t worn one and have only seen the odd person with one on. Funny how in some countries 80+% of people wear them and in other it’s like 10%, wonder what drives that beyond government recommendations
Personally I don't trust the UK or US government to tell me the truth, so I get my information from scientific studies and make my decision from that.

I wear a mask.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 27, 2020 10:19 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:00 pm
Sir Bobby wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:45 pm
Personally I don't trust the UK or US government to tell me the truth, so I get my information from scientific studies and make my decision from that.

I wear a mask.
You’ve got more chance of picking it up off a surface rather than through airborne particles, but it’s each to their own. Masks from what I’ve seen are more effective at stopping you spreading it if you have the virus.

Also, the amount of dimwits who don’t know how to put a mask on correctly, and pull it down around their neck and back up to their mouth again instantly lose a huge % of any possible benefit <laugh>

(Not saying that’s you btw!)
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Thu May 28, 2020 2:00 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:19 pm
PTAO? wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:00 pm

I wear a mask.
You’ve got more chance of picking it up off a surface rather than through airborne particles, but it’s each to their own. Masks from what I’ve seen are more effective at stopping you spreading it if you have the virus.

Also, the amount of dimwits who don’t know how to put a mask on correctly, and pull it down around their neck and back up to their mouth again instantly lose a huge % of any possible benefit <laugh>

You'll only get it from surfaces if you pick your nose, or in rarer cases, touch your eye or mouth. The airborne droplets are the major form of transmission, the main receptor for the virus entering host cells are the ACE2 receptor in your nose, these are also found in the lungs, but current thinking is that the virus migrates there after nasal entry, hence the nasal swabs for tests.
Even surgical have been shown to prevent 80% of particles smaller than the virus and prevent people getting the flu, they do protect you, and societies that wear them have lower transmission rates.

No helping the dimwits though, it's true. I see so many with the mask not over the nose, or around the neck, what's even the point <laugh>

Edit: If you're actually interested, I can send you some articles I'm using to write a grant proposal to study the viruses effects on the body.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu May 28, 2020 7:06 am

I've seen mask wearing decreasing where I live since the lockdown began but that's only been in the last few weeks since the announcement that you could spend more than an hour outdoors.

We've been using hand sanitizer rather than gloves but after what I witnessed in the supermarket the other day; I might resort to gloves.

Someone picked up 20 cartons of eggs and inspected every egg individually, manhandling everything. A few minutes later they were in the veg aisle picking up and squeezing every tomato. I then saw the person cough into thier ungloved hand and continue picking and squeezing before moving to the next veg, cough again and continue.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu May 28, 2020 8:51 am

PTAO? wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:00 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:19 pm

You'll only get it from surfaces if you pick your nose, or in rarer cases, touch your eye or mouth. The airborne droplets are the major form of transmission, the main receptor for the virus entering host cells are the ACE2 receptor in your nose, these are also found in the lungs, but current thinking is that the virus migrates there after nasal entry, hence the nasal swabs for tests.
Even surgical have been shown to prevent 80% of particles smaller than the virus and prevent people getting the flu, they do protect you, and societies that wear them have lower transmission rates.

No helping the dimwits though, it's true. I see so many with the mask not over the nose, or around the neck, what's even the point <laugh>

Edit: If you're actually interested, I can send you some articles I'm using to write a grant proposal to study the viruses effects on the body.
Good knowledge! Though as you say, as with a lot of new science, it’s current thinking and without further studies we’ll never be 100% sure. What does annoy me is people cashing in. And I’m talking about corner shops mainly, I’ve been in a few and they’re selling masks at £1 a go, profiteering bastards. At the start of the pandemic before lockdown I also saw shops and market stalls selling small bottles of hand sanitizer for £5 a bottle.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu May 28, 2020 8:53 am

Saw a woman all gloved up in the supermarket the other day put her card in her mouth after she had paid. <laugh> People fingering half the produce is annoying at the best of times.

I wear gloves so I dont touch my face, got a load of wipes in the car, we've been told to wear masks at work if we think we will have to approach within 2 meters of someone. I dont wear one regularly though, only if I feel I need too, i.e. confined spaces. Plenty of handwashing and sanitizer as well.

No going out at busy times, one shop a week, no hanging about for f***ing picnics or seeing anyone friends, family, even from 2 meters away. Zero interest in mincing about outside at the minute and I'll be in my own self imposed quarantine (apart from work) for some time after the government says it is all rainbows and sunshine again.
Last edited by Blue & Maroon on Thu May 28, 2020 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu May 28, 2020 8:54 am

Also I see that Alistair Campbell has gone full Malcolm Tucker on BBC and Matt Hancock has been on Sky and looks like hes taken cowies

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 am

Oh yeah, the amount of idiots at beaches and in parks over than bank holiday was insane - I swear that half the population of this country doesn't have two brain cells to rub together between them. We haven't even had a 'proper' lockdown through any of this. A lot of countries such as Spain, Italy and now places in South America have had proper lockdowns where you're not even allowed out to exercise. You can go to buy food or pick up medication and that's it. We've had it piss easy in comparison, you could go out and walk your dog, go running, go cycling - whatever you fancy more or less. And even though they said 'go outside once per day' it wasn't enforced. Yet all people do is complain how hard it is, well they should be grateful we didn't have a proper lockdown!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu May 28, 2020 9:51 am

This track and trace thing doesn't sit comfortably with me at all, especially with this government running it.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu May 28, 2020 9:56 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:51 am
This track and trace thing doesn't sit comfortably with me at all, especially with this government running it.
There will be similar arguments as to what there have been in the past about having ID cards or DNA on file.

For me personally, I couldn't care less if the police for example had my DNA on file. If it lead to one murderer, rapist etc. getting convicted by having everyone's DNA stored then it's worth it in my opinion, though I appreciate not everyone feels the same. Likewise if we were getting 'tracked', I won't be doing anything I shouldn't be doing so doesn't bother me. And in all honesty their are probably countless private companies who have access to constant streams of data about each and every one of us through our phones, so it'll already be happening whether we know about it or not.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu May 28, 2020 10:15 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:56 am
Don Sholeone wrote:
There will be similar arguments as to what there have been in the past about having ID cards or DNA on file.

For me personally, I couldn't care less if the police for example had my DNA on file. If it lead to one murderer, rapist etc. getting convicted by having everyone's DNA stored then it's worth it in my opinion, though I appreciate not everyone feels the same. Likewise if we were getting 'tracked', I won't be doing anything I shouldn't be doing so doesn't bother me. And in all honesty their are probably countless private companies who have access to constant streams of data about each and every one of us through our phones, so it'll already be happening whether we know about it or not.
This is why conspiracy nutters using social media, particularly Facebook, is hilarious.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu May 28, 2020 10:16 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:56 am
Don Sholeone wrote:

Thing is, in theory yes its helpful, but that's only when you can trust the people running it, apparently with this your data is going to be kept on file for 20 years, so what happens with that data if we successfully vaccinate against Covid-19 a year from now? Also the company implementing this has Dominic Cummings sister on the board so already there are questions of personal interests within government.

Also at risk of wading into tinfoil hat territory, this is basically a doorway to real world "cookies" with digital and potentially wifi enabled advertising boards not being far off being common place. what's to stop targeted advertising and political manipulation in the real world, they already did it with social media, now we are heading into an age where your every movement can be tracked and with tech enhancement this has massive potential for sinister manipulation. We are slowly moving into an age where data and Information about people is becoming a valuable commercial asset.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu May 28, 2020 10:33 am

Your personal information is already monetized and not just from social media.

Every agreement you enter into - be it online or offline has arrangements in place to monetise your provided information.

In terms of this track and trace operation though there is nothing to fear about it as the information required about you is already in the public domain - and freely available to access if you can be assed to chase a paper trail. If you cant be assed then its behind a pay wall.