Could it happen? Next manager suggestions

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: Could it happen? Next manager suggestions

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:52 pm

Something I hadn't previously considered, but the whole brexit thing will make it tougher to hire managers and coaches. Not that we really seemed to look to the continent much at all.
The qualifying criteria for managers are simpler than those for players: 24 months consecutively or 36 months over the past five years working in any competition from band 1 to band 5. You also need a Uefa Pro licence and proof your English is good enough to, among other things, “describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans”. There is some debate as to whether Marcelo Bielsa would meet these criteria and Watford’s new Spanish head coach, Xisco Muñoz, whose previous job was with Dinamo Tbilisi, would certainly not.

Finally there are the staff and the days of an overseas manager turning up with all of his mates may be numbered. Any individual looking for a visa as a “Performance Manager” (which covers most coaching and sports science-related roles) requires a degree and five years’ experience in bands 1 to 5 or at international level.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -new-rules

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:05 pm

Yeah based on those rules, Man United wouldn't have been able to bring OGS in from Molde now I don't think. Same with Swansea initially bringing in Graham Potter. Although that might have been different, not entirely sure. While Brexit will make it harder for clubs in general, I don't think we will have that problem. Rafa is the only non british/irish manager that Ashley has hired I think? The top names at the bookies like Howe and Steve Cooper would go through alright. And the usual suspects like Mark Hughes and Nigel Pearson would also past muster.

That being said though, the football landscape is going to be a lot different now with these new brexit rules. Be interesting how that effects club plans going forward. There's been plenty of managers to come to the english leagues in the last few years, and be successful, who spent a long time communicating via a translator. May have just been a f*** you to the ratbag media, rather than due to English not being good enough, mind. I believe Poch always used a translator for press conferences with the media at Southampton, but communicated fine in English with the players during training. Not necessarily a snub to the press I guess, more just making sure he says what he means in that case.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:31 pm

CIH wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:59 pm
To carry on the discussion from the match thread, at least other pundits and fans are starting to see how bad he is. He should be under immense pressure, but he won't be with our regime. Eddie Howe is the favourite, but I don't think he's likely even if Bruce does get sacked. Warren Barton had a good rant on **** that I enjoyed.

<applause>

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 pm

originallad wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:31 pm
CIH wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:59 pm
To carry on the discussion from the match thread, at least other pundits and fans are starting to see how bad he is. He should be under immense pressure, but he won't be with our regime. Eddie Howe is the favourite, but I don't think he's likely even if Bruce does get sacked. Warren Barton had a good rant on **** that I enjoyed.

<applause>
Spot on

Can everyone make a point to buy and hock a cabbage over the gates at SJP when they pass? It seems necessary

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:46 am

CIH wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:05 pm
Yeah based on those rules, Man United wouldn't have been able to bring OGS in from Molde now I don't think. Same with Swansea initially bringing in Graham Potter. Although that might have been different, not entirely sure. While Brexit will make it harder for clubs in general, I don't think we will have that problem. Rafa is the only non british/irish manager that Ashley has hired I think? The top names at the bookies like Howe and Steve Cooper would go through alright. And the usual suspects like Mark Hughes and Nigel Pearson would also past muster.

That being said though, the football landscape is going to be a lot different now with these new brexit rules. Be interesting how that effects club plans going forward. There's been plenty of managers to come to the english leagues in the last few years, and be successful, who spent a long time communicating via a translator. May have just been a **** you to the ratbag media, rather than due to English not being good enough, mind. I believe Poch always used a translator for press conferences with the media at Southampton, but communicated fine in English with the players during training. Not necessarily a snub to the press I guess, more just making sure he says what he means in that case.
I'd imagine OGS would have passed on appeal if even he was rejected on the first incident as he lived and worked in the UK for a how long it was he played for Manchester United.

Graham Potter is English so not sure how he'd have been rejected unless I'm missing something on why you think he would be rejected.

In terms of the language thing, as you've said in regards to poch he chose that so he wouldn't be misinterpreted this is similar to Bielsa too.

While Bielsa doesn't have the same English level as Poch does, believe me from having spoken to many who have dealt with him he speaks good enough English when he feels he can without being misinterpreted.
I'll Hazard a guess

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:38 am

I’m not sure how it works for managers, but students need to demonstrate a certain level of English ability (spoken and written) to get a visa for the U.K. Obviously they’re studying so by nature need to be competent but not sure if there’s a similar (less stringent maybe) rule for anyone applying for a U.K. visa. You’d imagine some ability to communicate in English would be needed.

Agree about managers not wanting their words misquoted by the press so speaking in their own language as we know how bad the press can be in this country.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:52 am

I think olenty of rich russians have got entrepreneurs visas with poor english. Money talks
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:15 am

can also conmfirm bielsa can speak good english he just chooses not to incase he words are turned on him which to me seems fair enough. know a couple ppl from leeds and its a bit of a joke in the club that he does ivs with a translator lol

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:22 am

gola wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:15 am
can also conmfirm bielsa can speak good english he just chooses not to incase he words are turned on him which to me seems fair enough. know a couple ppl from leeds and its a bit of a joke in the club that he does ivs with a translator lol
That's actually a really good idea. I get the impression that he's a bit socially awkward too and cannot put on a show for the media like other managers can. But I'd be really surprised if a manager as intelligent as he is who has worked in various countries (mostly Spanish speaking, but also Italy, France and England for a few years now) couldn't speak English well.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:42 am

One of the commentators on a game the other day (maybe the FA Cup one?) was surprised when he was shouting for a foul in English, but it's been pretty well documented he's been talking to his players in English for years, he just doesn't do it for the press at the risk of misrepresenting himself. Am I right in remembering Pochettino did the same for a while?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:45 am

Yeah Poch did it at Southampton but when he moved to Spurs started speaking English to the press etc.

Some players do it too, I can't recall Aguero giving many interviews in English but I've heard him talking to teammates in English before.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:42 pm

A Shame for SB as he is a genuinely nice guy - but I reckon less than 5% of nufc fans would have welcomed his appointment.....
......Surely our view matters ?

The problem is we are stuck with Ashley for now and no serious top manager would come.

Eddie Howe would probably come as he is still young and needs the job / needs to prove himself at a big club.
Bournemouth were a tenth the size of Newcastle and he did brilliantly to keep them in PL so long.

He attacks- we would win more than we lose I reckon - and finish top half

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:19 pm

wud love howe but his family is down south so dnt think hed wanna come up here just cnt see it

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:40 pm

gola wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:19 pm
wud love howe but his family is down south so dnt think hed wanna come up here just cnt see it
He did move to Burnley.

I've been to Burnley once for a few hours and to be honest; I stayed far too long for one life time.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:00 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:40 pm
gola wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:19 pm
He did move to Burnley.

I've been to Burnley once for a few hours and to be honest; I stayed far too long for one life time.
I made the mistake of visiting for a second time back in the 1970s. Was a s**thole then and I don't think it's changed much over the years.

Eddie Howe didn't settle there, can't imagine why, and went back to Bournemouth.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:29 am

I know it's all relative, and I experienced it first hand when living in England, but I still always find it hilarious how one region of England is perceived as so far from another - especially when talking about where a football manager or player would be willing to live. The farthest clubs from one another there are closer than the nearest teams to some places here in Canada/US.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:20 pm

Be afraid...

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:44 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:20 pm

Be afraid...
.........be very afraid!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:22 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:20 pm

Be afraid...
They didn't just hand out Premier League Manager of the Month in October 2007 to anyone you know.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:12 am

<laugh>

Billy Davies has been without a club since he left Forest a few years back, no doubt he features on Charnley's shortlist of possible Bruce replacements.