Match day thread - NUFC v palace

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Match day thread - NUFC v palace

Post by Colly » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:49 am

My slight worry is that as we threw attacking players on the shape fell to bits, when you've got ASM beating two men some of your players should be able to find space and show for him but it never seemed to happen. The problem we have (apart from changing mindset) is that good attacking movement needs coaching, especially with players like Almiron and ASM who are technically and physically great but lacking a bit on the mental side. I worry you aren't going to get that from Bruce, so these winnable games can go by as missed opportunities.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:57 am

Colly wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:49 am
My slight worry is that as we threw attacking players on the shape fell to bits, when you've got ASM beating two men some of your players should be able to find space and show for him but it never seemed to happen. The problem we have (apart from changing mindset) is that good attacking movement needs coaching, especially with players like Almiron and ASM who are technically and physically great but lacking a bit on the mental side. I worry you aren't going to get that from Bruce, so these winnable games can go by as missed opportunities.
This. We had chances in the 1st half to equalise. And in the balance of play and stats wise could and should have been ahead. The 2nd half, Palace became more compact and we struggled to break them down. We seemed to panic and revert to type of sideways and backwards passes, long floaty balls and in the end, pot shots.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:18 am

Played decent = still lost
Play bad = still lose .
I’m not quite getting the redeeming features from this defeat. For all the possession and the 30 yard effort we didn’t worry them at all other than a few chances in the first half. Total lack of ambition going forward in the second half - we were very happy to just go side wards and backwards which shows a lack of bottle , confidence and faith in the system. Yes most of this lies with Bruce but players have to take responsibility . We are quickly running out of games and we have only won 6 games all season. Really worried about relegation and I think we are a dead cert to go down.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:08 am

One big positive is that whether we’re winning or losing there was no sign of Joelinton being brought on. At best he should be 3rd or 4th choice striker and only used in other positions in an absolute injury crisis.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:37 am

Colly wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:49 am
Agree. That's my worry too as much as we change the formation & tactics we need to have cohesion, structure & movement when attacking not just putting every striker & hoping for the best as Bruce did chucking in Gayle & Carroll at random.. too many times as mentioned on here we decide to take the comfort/safe route of passing backwards, sideways & wide. Too many times I saw opportunities we could have through balled it or still played more passes but out of frustration we decide to shoot from long-range (Schar/Shelvey).. & a lack of composure in the final third at time too an example would be when Fraser had time to touch it down & analyse his options weather to shoot or cross it low but instead he scuffed it with a floaty ball up in the air.. all these things are not only down to the players but how there being coached. As good as it is improving possession stats, it's no use if the possession is pedestrian with a lack of urgency & tempo. Possession is good if you use it the right way to create attacking opportunities with good of the ball movement & tactical intelligence.

Out of the 21 shots we did, only 5 were on target. Palace only had 6 shots all game but 3 were on target (2 goals).. that sums up the game in a nutshell. Yes Palace rode there luck at times & parked the bus but they took there chances better than us & were clinical with the two goals. It shows we need to not only work on our shooting to hit it more on target but have more patience, guile & composure in the final third.. I'm not saying we should play tiki-taka or Barcelona style football but yeah we have to improve.. positive signs are there for all to see we're more on the front foot, more attempts on goal & retaining the ball better now but we gotta make it count & be more clinical when it comes down to it but I'm afraid if we don't we're going to have more frustrating games were we should be winning but draw/lose regardless if we have a great, good, average or poor performance. #BruceOut

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:09 am

Well Southampton will be missing three of their regular back four at the weekend (Bednarek, KWP, Vestergaard) and likely without their main DM in Romeu too. Add to that it looks like Walcott, Diallo and a good few other first team squad players will be missing and they're in poor form...there's no excuse not to take the game to them.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ScholarlySloth
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by ScholarlySloth » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:27 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:09 am
Well Southampton will be missing three of their regular back four at the weekend (Bednarek, KWP, Vestergaard) and likely without their main DM in Romeu too. Add to that it looks like Walcott, Diallo and a good few other first team squad players will be missing and they're in poor form...there's no excuse not to take the game to them.
4-0 loss incoming.
Lurker

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:29 am

ScholarlySloth wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:27 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:09 am
4-0 loss incoming.
If we lose that one there's no excuse not to sack Bruce....Chelsea and Man U away after that so it really is a must win.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:39 pm

Have to beat Saints on Saturday or we really risk getting sucked in against Fulham and, dare I say it, Sheffield United. Willock in for Hendrick please.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 pm

I don’t think Saints is a must-win. A point would be a good result (4 points from 9 games). Our current PPG would probably see us to safety. Just need to try and string a few good results together. Our performances have been much improved so I remain optimistic.

Also Fulham have two wins all season.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:15 pm

jpg wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 pm
I don’t think Saints is a must-win. A point would be a good result (4 points from 9 games). Our current PPG would probably see us to safety. Just need to try and string a few good results together. Our performances have been much improved so I remain optimistic.

That PPG ration is heavily skewed to our early season form. We've lost 10 of our last 13 games or something like that. Given that we will almost certainly lose to Chelsea and Man U I think we need 3 points against Southampton to open a little more of a gap, it's not unlikely that Fulham pick up some points in their next 3 home games with Leicester, Palace and Sheffield Utd.

I don't think that we'll go down given that mid-30 points should keep you up, but fail to win v a decimated Southampton side will be a big fail.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:25 pm

A big problem for us is the recent results we have had against the teams at the bottom and around us, Fulham, Sheffield and Palace games are the type we need to pick up points from and we have struggled on that front.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:02 pm

We also have the benefit of not really looking over our shoulders right now. Lose the next 3 you'd guess we might only be 6 points clear and suddenly you're starting to get nervous.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:59 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:02 pm
We also have the benefit of not really looking over our shoulders right now. Lose the next 3 you'd guess we might only be 6 points clear and suddenly you're starting to get nervous.
If we lose our next three games and find ourselves 6 points above the relegation zone I'd be very surprised!

You're saying Fulham will only get 2 points from:

Home to Leicester
Home to West Ham
Away to Everton
Home to Sheff Utd
Away to Palace

That's not even taking into account the points West Brom etc will get from their next 3 games.

Southampton is a must win in my opinion. Won't get anything from Manure and Chelsea.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:01 pm

I really thought we were on more than 22 points <neg>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:12 am

Looking at the fixtures remaining i think the best case scenario is us getting 16 more points, which would be enough, but thats best case scenario and we have Steve Bruce. This is the first season in a while im genuinely feeling relegation is coming.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:52 am

16 would certainly keep us up. I know it's hard to predict as you get surprises wins now and again but I'd say we should/could be looking to get points from:

Southampton (h), Wolves (h), WBA (a), Villa (h), Brighton (a), Burnley (a) West Ham (h), Sheffield Utd (h), Fulham (a).

In current form you'd expect West Ham to beat us, and Villa if they're on song though and Burnley/Brighton are tough to breakdown, so the ones in bold I think we really need good point from and aren't unrealistic.

Games we're unlikely to get anything from would be Man U (a), Chelsea (a), Spurs (h), Liverpool (a), Arsenal (h), Leicester (a), Man C (h).

Not unlikely that we could get a draw with Spurs but other than that can't see much else other than 6 losses there.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:46 pm

2 years ago under Rafa (I know) we had 18 points and were in the bottom 3.

We went on to beat the likes of Man City and Leicester etc. But then lost to Palace and West ham and dropped points to Bournemouth and Brighton etc. So you never know

I don't think we will be relegated actually don't think it will be close.

Part of it is down to the fact I can't see Fulham make up their current 6 point difference.
I'll Hazard a guess

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:55 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:15 pm
jpg wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 pm

That PPG ration is heavily skewed to our early season form. We've lost 10 of our last 13 games or something like that. Given that we will almost certainly lose to Chelsea and Man U I think we need 3 points against Southampton to open a little more of a gap, it's not unlikely that Fulham pick up some points in their next 3 home games with Leicester, Palace and Sheffield Utd.

I don't think that we'll go down given that mid-30 points should keep you up, but fail to win v a decimated Southampton side will be a big fail.
The PPG was taken from roughly the halfway point in the season so I wouldn't say it's skewed at all . Our earlier season form was hardly spectacular and even combined with that horrendous 6 weeks we still averaged above 1 (would leave us with 38pts). Our recent performances have suggested we're slowly turning the corner, and we can count ourselves lucky that the bottom 3 have been have poor as they have. It's amazing we're still 8 points clear.

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:52 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:52 am
16 would certainly keep us up. I know it's hard to predict as you get surprises wins now and again but I'd say we should/could be looking to get points from:

Southampton (h), Wolves (h), WBA (a), Villa (h), Brighton (a), Burnley (a) West Ham (h), Sheffield Utd (h), Fulham (a).

In current form you'd expect West Ham to beat us, and Villa if they're on song though and Burnley/Brighton are tough to breakdown, so the ones in bold I think we really need good point from and aren't unrealistic.

Games we're unlikely to get anything from would be Man U (a), Chelsea (a), Spurs (h), Liverpool (a), Arsenal (h), Leicester (a), Man C (h).

Not unlikely that we could get a draw with Spurs but other than that can't see much else other than 6 losses there.
This. Even the games against Arsenal (h), Spurs (h), Burnley(a), Brighton(a) & West Ham(h) we could get 3-5 points from them you never know. But yeah Southampton (h), Wolves (h), WBA (a), Sheffield (h) & Fulham (a) we need to at least pick up 10 - 12 points (from a possible 15).. that will leave us on 32-34 plus 3-5 points from the other matches mentioned & we should have enough to survive.. around 35 - 37 points if I'm correct? I don't think we'll need to hit the magic 40 this season. <scratch> <ok>