Relegation and recovery prospects

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Relegation and recovery prospects

Post by seaside nipper » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:45 am

Staying the obvious, we are on the brink and as many supporters have flagged for about 8 games previously now, observers, pundits and football know all’s now are in agreement with the fan base and have us installed as favourites for the final drop slot, or at least recognise we are now significant relegation candidates , it’s time to contemplate the options :

1. We survive , Bruce gets sacked we re build under new management with Ashley still owner.
2. We survive, Bruce stays, another s*** fest to look forward to
3. We get relegated, Bruce gets sacked we re build under new management. Be interesting to see who would rock up for consideration under Ashley regime in the Championship.
4. We get relegated , keep Bruce and his extensive Championship credentials , try to re build , accepting say five years of championship football
5. We survive, Ashley sells and the new regime recruit a new management team

Sadly I have the fear for No 4 hoping for No 5 therefore it is simply vital we survive , then can look ahead to Take over speculation Groundhog Day after day after day after day

Frankly , the outlook is pretty grim whatever the angle
Clydeside & Tyneside

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Relegation and recovery prospects

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:11 am

Option 2 or Option 4 seem most likely for me. If we stay up he's nailed on to keep his job and will point to being unlucky with injuries (which have contributed, but still don't excuse how crap we have been).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:35 am

Last drop event, at least, ironically enough, we went in a positive state, we had belief and a plan, a solid and highly regarded professional manager. The team learned early coped and bounced right back.
This time, if we drop, it’s listless, hopeless and I highly doubt we would retain any of our notably, albeit injury plagued, better players.
Clydeside & Tyneside

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:22 pm

everything points to us going down bt i still have hope. no idea why tho lol

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:59 pm

I will go on record saying that he's sacked at the end of the season no matter what. It isn't like they wanted him to begin with, and being on the brink of relegation doesn't help the club get sold. So for as much as people have rightly criticized Ashley in the past for being fine with just surviving, I actually think he'd want more than that right now. I believe they wrongly thought he was safe hands for this year and if they knew all the drama, disfunction and regression we've come to see, he'd have been gone a while ago. I actually think he'd be gone right now if they thought they could actually install someone else, and if it wouldn't cost them more money.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:23 pm

With relegation we might get a crack at The Papa John's Trophy in a couple of years.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:05 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:11 am
Option 2 or Option 4 seem most likely for me. If we stay up he's nailed on to keep his job and will point to being unlucky with injuries (which have contributed, but still don't excuse how crap we have been).
This. Ideally we survive & he gets sacked though.. a Howe or Lampard style manager would do me. Someone fresh, brave & innovative. <ok>

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:36 pm

Our future awaits...
Woodman
Manquillo Watts Clark Dummett
Hayden S. Longstaff
Murphy M. Longstaff Anderson
Joelinton
Can't wait to finish 12th in the Championship <awe>
I had the first custom w***

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:05 pm

Speedo wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:36 pm
Our future awaits...
Woodman
Hayden S. Longstaff
Joelinton
Don't be silly...the Longstaffs still wouldn't play.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:15 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:05 pm
Speedo wrote:
Our future awaits...
Woodman
Hayden S. Longstaff
Joelinton
Would still be Hendrick and Shelvey. Nobody is paying them what we do.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:26 pm

ALF wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:15 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:05 pm

I still think somebody would pay too much for Shelvey. Strikes me as the type of player that you see through only when you watch them on a weekly basis. Or also one you think would do better if paired with different midfielders or with different tactics. In a side that keeps a lot of possession I could see him being pretty handy. Unfortunately we don't, spend most of our matches defending, and half his teammates are afraid of the ball requiring him to pick it up in useless places.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:32 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:26 pm
ALF wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:15 pm

I still think somebody would pay too much for Shelvey. Strikes me as the type of player that you see through only when you watch them on a weekly basis. Or also one you think would do better if paired with different midfielders or with different tactics. In a side that keeps a lot of possession I could see him being pretty handy. Unfortunately we don't, spend most of our matches defending, and half his teammates are afraid of the ball requiring him to pick it up in useless places.
That's the problem though. If he's in the side it won't keep a lot of possession as he loves to send the ball 60 yards down the field into the stands.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:52 pm

ALF wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:32 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:26 pm

That's the problem though. If he's in the side it won't keep a lot of possession as he loves to send the ball 60 yards down the field into the stands.
Well what else are you to do with it when you have a CM partner, 1 CB, 2 fullbacks and most of your strikers who are useless with if not afraid of the ball? If he didn't punt long passes forward every ball would just go backwards to our keeper. But I say that as a criticism of Shelvey's shortcomings in dribbling, pace and maintaining possession as much as a criticism of the squad around him.

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:47 pm

Speedo wrote:
Our future awaits...
Woodman
Hayden S. Longstaff
Joelinton
I'll be a bit more optimistic than that tbh.. I think one of Schar, Lejune, Fernandez & Lascelles will at least stay. Lewis should be a starter as a year in the Championship will help his development. Shelvey might be sold.. or loan to buy option for a club like Crystal Palace/West Ham.. Hendrick will stay & tbh he might be a useful player in the Champs. The likes of Carroll, Ritchie, Atsu & Gayle might stay (all very useful at that level).. Miggy, ASM, Fraser & Wilson will look for new pastures for sure. Could see Dubra/Darlow potentially leaving also..

Woodman
Manquillo Lascelles Clark Lewis
Hayden S.Longstaff
Murphy Joelinton Anderson
Gayle

The likes of Atsu, Ritchie, Carroll, Dummet, Watts, M.Longstaff & Hendrick on the bench.. might see a couple more youngsters pop by here & there too like Tom Allan, Rodrigo Vilca, Ludwig Francillette, etc

Could see us challenging for promotion but falling short & maybe ending up in the play-offs. <urgh>