Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Re: Latest takeover shenanigans

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:29 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:19 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:22 am

Money plain and simple. I've said before, if the Saudis were bringing no more money to the table than Ashley has been, then they wouldn't want them either. They expect a massive cash injection and the success and trophies that that will bring, so principles are for sale.

By the same token, if Ashley had injected the necessary cash for success then they would have made excuses for him and not criticised. Excuses will be made for any owner who brings success or even brings the hope or expectation of success. That 97% of those signing on for the trust support this takeover leaves me extremely disillusioned about humanity, no wonder the world is so f***ed up.
I mean I get the injection of cash and success but the whole Ashley hating thing started with him binning Keegan, apparently that was morally reprehensible. The treatment of Jonas (and even Raylor) was disgusting and people were willing to get up in arms about it. The treatment of Hughton and Benitez caused uproar... But Saudi involvement doesn't ? It makes very little sense from those who (righlty) fought against the above but are more than happy to have Saudi flags in their twitter names
There is no point trying to understand it based on logic or ethics because they play no part in their thinking. It is greed and selfishness.

Ashley wouldn't spend enough to buy success, the Saudi's with their immense wealth suggest that they will, so nothing they do will be criticised so long as that is a possibility. The interesting thing would be if the takeover happened and then the free spending didn't materialise. My opinion under that scenario is that the same fickle fans would eventually turn on them too, as their ongoing human rights violations brought shame on the club without the anticipated success to compensate or offset the negative press.

If you have empathy and principles that aren't for sale then you won't understand that way of thinking and be thankful that you don't.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:08 pm

You know how I feel DT as we've been voicing arguement against this takeover based on owners from the early days of its announcement.

All I'd like to see though after this long drawn out affair is where that line is officially drawn by the Premier League and finally have some clarity on the end decision.

Looking through the legal arguments I've already noted the political issues between Saudi and one of the main resellers of the league based in Qatar.

To me that should have been the be all and end all of the test; how can a high paying digital reseller of the same product allow another neighbouring country to pirate broadcasts and yet make a potential gain out of it?

We can both agree that human rights in Saudi are abhorrent. I've turned down numerous requests to work there based on the decision that I would never live or work in a area where my wife and daughter don't have the exact same rights I do.

Fact of the matter is though; I don't work in Saudi via personal choice but I do know they own 20% of the company I work for and the better I do my role - they do prosper. I can't stop that. I can't change that.

I'm not saying the fight is dead. The fight can always continue. You can support this club but just not as vociferous to an extent as we'd likely have hoped.

I don't know. Maybe we're all just f***ed.

I don't support the Saudi government.

I've met Saudi people who have been truly lovely and also some who have been total cunts I wish I could eradicate from memory.

If it happens. I guess part of is will still watch from a distant position - sort of soulless, which to be fair isn't to far from how we watch now.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:54 pm

I'll give a very specific example, how could I ever get excited about an owner buying [insert star player here], while at the same time being livid that that same man sent a damn hit squad to my city to kill a former Saudi national in 2018 (weeks after that same squad dismemembered Khashoggi). I can't possibly separate the two. And I don't want to feel torn like that when watching us. I selfishly don't want to deal with that association.

And yes, I know we've debated this to death. As long as the story drags on, I'm sure it will be.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:19 pm

I dont think there are many people that would begrudge fans that want to walk away and make a stand, but it just seems like those who want to make a stand are talking down and and being condescending to those that don't hold the exact same views as them. Which I think is pretty childish to be honest, the only thing that is good for is stroking ones own ego. Just let people be.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:33 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:19 pm
I dont think there are many people that would begrudge fans that want to walk away and make a stand, but it just seems like those who want to make a stand are talking down and and being condescending to those that don't hold the exact same views as them. Which I think is pretty childish to be honest, the only thing that is good for is stroking ones own ego. Just let people be.
I'm guessing this is somewhat aimed at me, which leaves me a bit disappointed that my comments have only been regarded as condescending and childish. I was aiming more for contemptuous and insulting. I guess i'll have to try harder in future.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:06 pm

And I'll tread a slightly different path and say that I think we can all probably work on how we communicate with one another on this issue, as it has become really divisive. But it is about more than just what people say on social media, because opinions on this stretch further and have impacts on political interventions, fan trust platforms and other real things that could impact the future of the club. It's not just hot air, and for as long as fan attitudes drive action, people will try and convince others they're not sharing the long-term interests of the club. But if someone's not being a dick about their opinion, it's probably for the best to try and be polite in return.

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:06 am

RC once again talkin sense. diplomatic and kind as eva

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:09 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:06 pm
And I'll tread a slightly different path and say that I think we can all probably work on how we communicate with one another on this issue, as it has become really divisive. But it is about more than just what people say on social media, because opinions on this stretch further and have impacts on political interventions, fan trust platforms and other real things that could impact the future of the club. It's not just hot air, and for as long as fan attitudes drive action, people will try and convince others they're not sharing the long-term interests of the club. But if someone's not being a dick about their opinion, it's probably for the best to try and be polite in return.
I agree. Or in short "What Would Tash NOT do"
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:09 am

So before PL board meeting, the 'big 6' would brief the PL CEO on what it is they want...absolute disgrace.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:22 pm

When did the "Big 6" become the "Big 6" anyway? I'm not disputing they're the 6 most valuable clubs in the league right now, but somewhere along they way it went from 4 to 6, without Tottenham winning anything except the glory of stadium debt.

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:47 pm

regularly finishing in the top six i guess

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:04 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:22 pm
When did the "Big 6" become the "Big 6" anyway? I'm not disputing they're the 6 most valuable clubs in the league right now, but somewhere along they way it went from 4 to 6, without Tottenham winning anything except the glory of stadium debt.
It was when Liverpool stopped getting into the top 4 every year.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:13 am

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/bor ... nistration

If memory serves me correctly this group was linked with a Newcastle takeover before
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:29 am

Could happen to any club the way things are now. Clubs are owned as either investments or as play things of billionaires. If the balance sheet doesn't stack up or the owner gets bored then they've little reason to carry on investing.

Saw something online (meant to post a link but forgot) at the weekend saying the outcome of Ashley's arbitration case against the PL should be resolved in summer and that it looks to be going in his favour.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:35 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:29 am
Could happen to any club the way things are now. Clubs are owned as either investments or as play things of billionaires. If the balance sheet doesn't stack up or the owner gets bored then they've little reason to carry on investing.

Saw something online (meant to post a link but forgot) at the weekend saying the outcome of Ashley's arbitration case against the PL should be resolved in summer and that it looks to be going in his favour.
I saw the same thing, all seems to come from Frank Kane, an american journo based out of Dubai. Other journalists have said that the PL are "supremely confident" that it'll go there way. I don't think anyone knows anything at this stage.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1847736
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:01 am

Yeah true. I can't imagine anyone at the PL saying they're 'supremely confident' either!

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:15 am

I half expected some sort of deal to be cut after ESL. Big six power's waning.
"oh ok the crown prince won't be on the board but one of the 1000 other princes will do"
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:09 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:29 am

Oh definitely I'm actually surprised a few more owners around the world haven't pulled out of other clubs (especially in France given the TV deal collapse)
I'll Hazard a guess

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue May 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Arbitration to happen in July. CAT proceedings delayed a bit too. So realistically no takeover of any kind this side of the new season...
I had the first custom w***

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 18, 2021 2:12 pm

Can some other super rich group just come along and buy us already? Just so we can all move on from this more than a decade-long debacle.