Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Latest takeover shenanigans

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:42 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:18 am
Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 pm

But we're then talking about the exact same thing. You're absolutely right, these multi-billion dollar investments in sports and other internationally recognized institutions are marketing vehicles to ensure increased investment in their country. They raise the profile of their countries, providing new headlines besides negative ones. I'm not implying it's something sinister or heinous, nor that they're hiding their intentions, it's very in the open that they're trying to change their national brand by aligning themselves with more favourable ones. That kind of strategy is used in all walks of life and business, they're just doing it as part of a 3.2 trillion dollar, decade-long investment strategy (Saudi Vision 2030), that happens to be running parallel to a lot of really negative news stories.

But it's also no coincidence that only controversial countries have the money and political freedom to buy foreign football clubs for these marketing purposes, so it isn't surprising that it's been given it's own unique label "sports washing".
So it's a lose lose situation, stay an outcast and as an insular nation or open up and spread your investment arm and still be damned for every move you make, also these country's buying clubs is more than likely rooted in culture, the same reason they will buy a football club is probably why these people hang paintings worth more than our football club on their Yachts which are also worth more than our football club. It's a status symbol as well as an investment.
Well yeah, it does put extra pressure on them, but I think the key thing is if you want to be on the global stage, owning foreign football clubs, hosting sporting events, and generally marketing your country, you need to also stop getting caught sending hit squads to foreign countries to kill journalists and enemies of the state (I pesonally am sensitive to that fact because a team got caught trying to assassinate someone in my city recently). Even though I recognize that kind of crazy stuff happens, and other countries are guilty of it too - I'd feel the same if the US Government was buying NUFC. I completely agree though that just like for any other super rich people, teams are status symbols, demonstrating you're among the elite of the world - it'll always just feel a little different to me when the club is then also owned by a country - that just seems to carry more baggage.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:36 pm

FFS.

Can anyone copy and paste this. I don’t have any more free articles.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... oned-2022/
I had the first custom w***

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:04 pm

Speedo wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:36 pm
FFS.

Can anyone copy and paste this. I don’t have any more free articles.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... oned-2022/
It's basically Luke Edwards being Luke Edwards. Claiming it's all down to the Saudis and saying that the deal has collapsed "again" and there is another buyer waiting in the wings. A rinse and repeat of all the other bollocks he spews. Somehow he's managed to get a whole article out of a very short uninformative statement.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:21 pm

f*** right off
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:41 pm

The whole thing is a joke, this takes the whole thing close to 2 years, that's all because of delays, why has it not been rejected? If it's because the buyers haven't supplied the evidence then that's grounds for rejection as withholding information is against the the ODT rules.

Fans need to start invading pitches like the Man Utd/Liverpool game, get these live games called off. End of the day the lack of action is harming the fans the most. This deal need accepting or rejecting immediately.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:25 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:41 pm
The whole thing is a joke, this takes the whole thing close to 2 years, that's all because of delays, why has it not been rejected? If it's because the buyers haven't supplied the evidence then that's grounds for rejection as withholding information is against the the ODT rules.

Fans need to start invading pitches like the Man Utd/Liverpool game, get these live games called off. End of the day the lack of action is harming the fans the most. This deal need accepting or rejecting immediately.
I mean Staveley and co pulled out of the deal last summer - the last 12 months have just been bickering up to this arbitration. The PL can’t reject a bid that isn’t live… Serious questions have to be asked about Staveley and co at this point though. They talk a huge game but there’s no evidence of progress…

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:07 pm

Yeah, at this point it feels more like them putting up a fight to protect future investments, or about ego, than actually because anyone involved really cares about purchasing the club. Really hope at this point a new buyer comes along, as we clearly found the one and only that can fail the FA's "test".

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:13 am

That's the point though, no test has been failed, and the premier League have practically admitted to delaying this in the emails that got released the other month. Also the bid was and is still live, so you really believe both buyer and seller are going to spend a significant amount of money on legal fees on a deal that doesn't exist?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:21 am

Speedo wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:25 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:41 pm

I mean Staveley and co pulled out of the deal last summer - the last 12 months have just been bickering up to this arbitration. The PL can’t reject a bid that isn’t live… Serious questions have to be asked about Staveley and co at this point though. They talk a huge game but there’s no evidence of progress…
Even if they did completely pull out (it's unclear as to what exactly is the case) could you blame them? In business if you're banging your head against a brick wall and making no progress at all then everyone would stop and focus on something else rather than waste your time.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:58 am

PL are playing a blinder here. Clear they don't want to allow it but also don't want to officially say no.

I'd rather it was rejected, but at least this should mean we can ignore it for now and the club concentrated on the season ahead.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:39 am

Personally I think even if you are against the takeover you still should question the PL process. Let's face it they are already in a close business relationship with Qatar who are not so different to KSA, so you can establish they just don't care about these nations reputation.

As for the takeover you need to ask why hasn't it been rejected, if what the PL say is true and they believe information on who runs the club is being withheld then they can reject the consortium outright, So why is that not the case? What is the reason for the delay what is the reason that Qatari money can prop up the league but KSA cannot invest in a member club.

I get people who don't want the takeover are happy about it but surely you have to be worried that the PL are basically making up the rules for whatever reason behind closed doors with zero transparency. For all we know the directors at the "6" could be calling all the shots on this process, that could sound like a huge conspiracy but how can anyone ever know for sure if the PL are allowed to continue acting in this way?.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:05 pm

Agree, whether you want the Saudi takeover or not, nobody can deny that the whole thing stinks.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:19 pm

To be clear, I’m certainly not saying the process is good - it’s clearly a total mess. But this apparently permanent purgatory is very damaging at this point. Can see us getting relegated this year without Willock and one or two others.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:02 pm

As with other seasons, I think there’s more than enough s*** in the league that we’ll stay up. Wilson, ASM and Almiron is a decent front 3, lots of experience in defence, it’ll be another p13 or something but I don’t see us going down.

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:13 pm

Is it possible the deal to be finalized without EPL permission? And if it can what can be the concenquances?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:22 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:39 am
Personally I think even if you are against the takeover you still should question the PL process. Let's face it they are already in a close business relationship with Qatar who are not so different to KSA, so you can establish they just don't care about these nations reputation.

As for the takeover you need to ask why hasn't it been rejected, if what the PL say is true and they believe information on who runs the club is being withheld then they can reject the consortium outright, So why is that not the case? What is the reason for the delay what is the reason that Qatari money can prop up the league but KSA cannot invest in a member club.

I get people who don't want the takeover are happy about it but surely you have to be worried that the PL are basically making up the rules for whatever reason behind closed doors with zero transparency. For all we know the directors at the "6" could be calling all the shots on this process, that could sound like a huge conspiracy but how can anyone ever know for sure if the PL are allowed to continue acting in this way?.
Oh don't get me wrong, despite the fact I don't want the headache and drama associated with Saudi Arabia involved with the club, I also think this dragged out, opaque process reflects poorly on the league and the club. I think there are legitimate reasons why if a fit and proper ownership test does exist, PIF and the Prince would fail it (just as other prospective owners in the past should have too). But clearly their testing criteria and process are broken if they can't/won't just come out and clearly communicate that they're denied and why. I also completely believe Ashley probably has been difficult to work with, and the new owners, and the league themselves. I just want it all over so the club can get out of purgatory and move forward with some direction!

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:39 am

Oh yeah the process has been terrible. Hardly surprising with the PL imo
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:38 pm

The Premier League either need to allow the takeover or come out a categorically confirm that they will never approve it. That way we'll have clarity and can all move on.

At this point I'm not even bothered whether they allow it or not as long as we get a definitive answer and can draw a line under the whole thing.

Dragging it out this long is ridiculous.