New Manager: Eddie Howe Confirmed

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: New Manager

Post by Oval85 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:30 pm

I think the chance of us having the usual boost from a manager change is way better than anything Bruce can do in charge, Graeme Jones the obvious choice until they found the right one.

Also, I just think that hanging on to a manager everyone knows will have to leave eventually will hurt us in both short and long run.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:56 pm

Really hope there is something to these latest reports as Brendan Rodgers would be a brilliant appointment.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:11 pm

While I think Rodgers would be a good appointment, wouldn't be my first choice. Not sure exactly what, but I wouldn't see him lasting much more than 18 months in the role. He's not a firefighter, he is a development manager which I think we should target. Just not sure on his longevity.

My own personal preference is Graham Potter. Doesn't quite have Rodgers premier league pedigree yet, but not lightyears behind him either. And I think has far more potential as a manager than Rodgers, who for me at this point has reached his peak. Lucian Favre would be a second choice (probably not far ahead of Rodgers as a potential third). I think he's a decent medium term option, better than the firefighter status, but defensively solid enough to keep us up and build a solid foundation for the next two seasons or so.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:41 pm

Luis Campos being linked as Sporting Director now lol

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:22 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:08 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:04 pm
Problem is you are going off the assumption that Bruce is going to be kept on for months rather than a week or two. There is nothing risky about taking our time especially when it's on our side, it's not like we are down to the final few games of the season and are In desperate times.
Touche. I should clarify that although I think it's a bigger risk to run out the season with him, I don't want them to rush into a hiring if a preferred option isn't available - nor is Bruce management in an away match against Spurs a missed opportunity.
It's at St James' Park and in my opinion, for what it's worth, a win is imperative whoever is in charge.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:23 pm

Sky News just reported that Rodgers has confirmed that he has no interest in talking to Newcastle as he is perfectly happy at Leicester.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:32 pm

Can't blame him. Leicester are well funded and well run, and at the moment we can only (hopefully) guarantee one of those.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:04 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:23 pm
Sky News just reported that Rodgers has confirmed that he has no interest in talking to Newcastle as he is perfectly happy at Leicester.
I can't see any manager walking away from a good job like his.
Kindly deeds done for free!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:43 pm

Leicester are a million miles ahead of us in every aspect at the moment so not surprising.

Other than money, I’d say even Potter would be taking a step down to join us when you look at how well the infrastructure at Brighton has been built up.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:52 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:22 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:08 pm

Touche. I should clarify that although I think it's a bigger risk to run out the season with him, I don't want them to rush into a hiring if a preferred option isn't available - nor is Bruce management in an away match against Spurs a missed opportunity.
It's at St James' Park and in my opinion, for what it's worth, a win is imperative whoever is in charge.
Whoops, my bad. Though I agree we need a win, but on such short notice I don't see an interim or new hire making any real changes for the weekend, and if the players need a morale boost, the sale probably already has produced that (if anything would make a difference).

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:40 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:52 pm
UlversToon wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:22 pm

Whoops, my bad. Though I agree we need a win, but on such short notice I don't see an interim or new hire making any real changes for the weekend, and if the players need a morale boost, the sale probably already has produced that (if anything would make a difference).
I would imagine it's going to be quite an occasion on Sunday so, hopefully, the players should be up for it whoever is in charge.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:08 am

The problem is that I think the players have been up for it a couple of times, they haven't completely downed tools. The issue is a complete lack of tactics and organisation, and that's not going to change. Spurs may look flaky at the moment, but I still reckon they've got far too much for us.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:37 am

Colly wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:08 am
The problem is that I think the players have been up for it a couple of times, they haven't completely downed tools. The issue is a complete lack of tactics and organisation, and that's not going to change. Spurs may look flaky at the moment, but I still reckon they've got far too much for us.
Far, far, far, far too much.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:01 pm

Thursday is a day off for the players. Big day for Bruce tomorrow.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:05 pm

People may not like it but the way this is panning out is the right move imo, I think if he's here after Palace then my stance may change. But for now I'm happy with slow and steady, I'd probably like to see a Sporting Director by middle of next week at the least though.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:32 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:05 pm
People may not like it but the way this is panning out is the right move imo, I think if he's here after Palace then my stance may change. But for now I'm happy with slow and steady, I'd probably like to see a Sporting Director by middle of next week at the least though.
Agreed. I think there's a preferred order to these hirings, and I'd hate for them to jump the gun and potentially hire a manager that doesn't align well with the Director of Football's vision - as an example.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:00 pm

Looking at everyone linked, maybe we will see Rangnick in as interim manager until January, see how it's going, if well stays as manager until the summer where we then move him up to sporting director and appoint a long term manager to work with him.

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:49 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:32 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:05 pm
Agreed. I think there's a preferred order to these hirings, and I'd hate for them to jump the gun and potentially hire a manager that doesn't align well with the Director of Football's vision - as an example.
^^^^ This ^^^*^
Realism time !

If ever there as a time to be pragmatic and not shoot from the lip or the hip it’s now.

Avoidance of the immediate hysterical sacking purge , fair enough for the immediate here and now. That’s not to say that Mr Bruce’s time isn’t up, I mean even he knows that. Point is it’s time for some considered measured thought

Major mission accomplished in terms of ownership change, box ticked

Now the fine detail can commence and as it happens it’s a decision on next manager that’s priority No 1. That doesn’t have to happen before Sunday but hangs over the owners for swift resolution nonetheless. A new manager is inevitable. It’s not a knee jerk reflex but something that should be just down from immediate button push to yes thanks for the input , thanks for your efforts, but there’s the door. Your significant settlement ( for relative failure ) is in the post

It’s not gonna ruin Sunday for me whether Mr Bruce is there or not. This is after all ‘ a process’

Time will tell , I hope the new owners are as sensible going forward as they seem to have been so far.

Fwiw and key for me is if they have been around this for years as seems to be the case, remained close since the initial rebuttal they must inevitably have plans on how they were going to go about this from day one.

My take is don’t panic embrace new hope and ambition for the club.

Let the majority of the press provoke and run off at the mouth as usual. It’s mostly utter guesswork , white noise , or sensationalist whataboutery.
Clydeside & Tyneside

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:35 pm

seaside nipper wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:49 pm

^^^^ This ^^^*^
Realism time !

If ever there as a time to be pragmatic and not shoot from the lip or the hip it’s now.

Avoidance of the immediate hysterical sacking purge , fair enough for the immediate here and now. That’s not to say that Mr Bruce’s time isn’t up, I mean even he knows that. Point is it’s time for some considered measured thought
Nah f*** that, I want a

<divadance> <divadance> <diva> <divax> FRIDAY ANNOUNCEMENT! <divax> <diva> <divadance> <divadance>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:54 am

I feel like they are gonna let him have the 1000th game before booting him. I don't think it's sentiment, but taking the time to get ducks in a row. And end of the day, may as well. I personally (completely and utterly) guess that this time next week it'll be Jones in interim charge, with a sporting director in place by November. Then a manager before christmas.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair