Arsenal result last night

simonbh7
I Make Amazing Threads
I Make Amazing Threads
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Bournemouth

Arsenal result last night

Post by simonbh7 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:21 am

Although Arsenal were knocked out of the Champion's League last night, they will have taken a great deal of heart and pride in their performance.

Now they are out of all cup competitions they only have the league, and 4th place in particular, to focus on and this could be bad news for us on Monday night. Often, when a team goes out of the Champs league, their league form can also suffer with the players feeling a bit flat, but due to the nature of their European exit and their excellent performances in their last couple of league games, I am quite concerned about facing them at the Emirates next week.

RVP against Williamson is the stuff that nightmares are made from, so it will be vital that we limit the supply to him from midfield. having said that, i really feel that HBA should start on the right wing to give them something to worry about and to make the fullback think twice about bombing forward in support.

Our best opportunity, IMHO, is to get at their centre backs with the ball on the floor and HBA allows this to happen. He seems to occupy 2-3 of their players, thus creating more space and time for Cabaye and Tiote, and gives them more options when they have the ball. He also has the ability to provide insightful defence splitting passes for Ba and Cisse (when he actually decides to pass the bloody ball). The downside to playing HBA on Monday is that it is vital that we keep the ball as much as possible, but it is only natural that in trying to be creative he is going to give away possession. Despite this, I would definately put him in the starting eleven.

Once again we will need to rely on the incredible work ethic that Pardew has instilled in this team and maybe a flash of individual brilliance to come away with a result.

How do you guys think we should best deal with the threat of RVP and how do you see us being able to expliot their weeknesses?
No-one succeeds like a budgie with no beak!!


overseasTOON MD "He's not a brain surgeon. He's Paul Merson"

User avatar
Lewis Hamilton The F1 Legend
Miggy's Smiles
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by Lewis Hamilton The F1 Legend » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:25 am

When I watched Gibbs he seemed to have had poor positional sense. This could be perfect for HBA, with his pace and ability dribbling with the ball I feel that is where we can exploit their defense.
Image

simonbh7
I Make Amazing Threads
I Make Amazing Threads
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by simonbh7 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:28 am

Lewis Hamilton The F1 Legend wrote:When I watched Gibbs he seemed to have had poor positional sense. This could be perfect for HBA, with his pace and ability dribbling with the ball I feel that is where we can exploit their defense.
Well he certainly loves running at fullbacks, so hopefully he will give Gibbs a horrible evening.
No-one succeeds like a budgie with no beak!!


overseasTOON MD "He's not a brain surgeon. He's Paul Merson"

User avatar
rabit71
Joel's Goals
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by rabit71 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:29 am

it is quite easy to make a case for impending sodomy.

RVP vs williamson
walcott running into the space santon leaves when he goes forward and colo being subsequently dragged from the centre
oxlade-chamberlain vs simpson
jonas will get little joy against sagna and without an outlet we haven't been able to absord any pressure since before saylor's injury
I don't always reply to a thread, but when i do, they usually die within the next 5 posts

User avatar
Lewis Hamilton The F1 Legend
Miggy's Smiles
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by Lewis Hamilton The F1 Legend » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 am

simonbh7 wrote:
Lewis Hamilton The F1 Legend wrote:When I watched Gibbs he seemed to have had poor positional sense. This could be perfect for HBA, with his pace and ability dribbling with the ball I feel that is where we can exploit their defense.
Well he certainly loves running at fullbacks, so hopefully he will give Gibbs a horrible evening.
I think he is their main weak link.
Image

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 20892
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 am

rabit71 wrote:it is quite easy to make a case for impending sodomy.

RVP vs williamson
walcott running into the space santon leaves when he goes forward and colo being subsequently dragged from the centre
oxlade-chamberlain vs simpson
jonas will get little joy against sagna and without an outlet we haven't been able to absord any pressure since before saylor's injury
I feel the need to slit my wrists after reading that...

<wah>

User avatar
Beardsley My Hero
Andy's Top Knot
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by Beardsley My Hero » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:36 am

I too would like to see HBA start. The problem might be Pardew's comments after the Spurs defeat. Didn't he say he got his tactics wrong for that game by having a too attacking lineup for a team like Spurs. He may feel the same about Arsenal.

User avatar
asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster
Posts: 10376
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by asbo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:48 am

Arsenal were incredibly poor in the second half. They showed no spirit at all. Walcott and Chamberlain both picked up knocks as well, Walcott's looked pretty serious and I'd be really surprised if he played any part. So we've got a chance.

Tiote will need to track Rosicky's runs, and if Jonas and Santon nullify Sagna I think that's a large part of RVP's supply cut off. He's not the quickest so I think a high line will be the way to go, I can't see him running it in from 40 yards and slotting past the keeper, I think Colo, Simpson and Santon are all quicker than him, but if Song chips him in he can finish beautifully first time as he showed against Liverpool at the weekend and earlier in the season against Everton. I don't really see us being able to set a plan of any kind for Gervinho, he's too erratic, hopefully he'll have a mare.

User avatar
asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster
Posts: 10376
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by asbo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:59 am

Blogged: http://www.toonforum.co.uk/blog/arsenal ... e-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Shola's Answering Machine
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1377
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by Shola's Answering Machine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:36 pm

I think that the game will be lost or won on the wings... Just look at the Spurs game for instance. Even if they dominated us in the middle, they only managed to score when they penetrated via the wider areas. So again whoever's playing on the wings will have to be on top of their game... or maybe we should just double LB's and RB's instead of playing with wingers ....
"Hey how you're doing
Sorry you can't get through
Why don't you leave your name
And your number
And I'll get back to you
Hey how are you doing
Sorry you can't get through
Why don't you leave your name
And your number
Cos I'm playing for the Toon "

zlatanera (eng: to zlatan ?)
verb
1.to dominate
2.to clear anything with force

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 30609
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm writing this one off as 'any point is an unexpected bonus'. Arsenal have excellent recent league form, if only we'd played them before Christmas.

I see this as a perfect chance to experiment with a new game plan, get Ben Arfa involved, keep it on the deck, possible a 3-man midfield with Guthrie in there. Would love Ferguson to get a chance on the wide left. And dare I say it, even Kadar. But that won't happen. Don't know if he even get's reserve team games so may not even be fit.

I'd love points there, but my head says 3-0 / 4-0 to Arsenal. Cabaye, Tiote, and Ba just haven't re-discovered their early season form.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Iksee
Joel's Goals
Posts: 797
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by Iksee » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Aren't Walcott and the Ox injured? They both got taken off with injuries, especially Walcott's he was limping really bad.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 30609
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Privet Iksee wrote:Aren't Walcott and the Ox injured? They both got taken off with injuries, especially Walcott's he was limping really bad.
This is good if true. Wish the game was on Saturday as now they have an extra two days to recover.

Even though Walcott has no end product 95% of the time, his pace still worries me. I'd expect Wenger to put the Ox back on the bench as per their last few league games.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Beatski
Punderful
Punderful
Posts: 23094
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: The Dangerzone

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by Beatski » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:06 pm

aBSOLUTELYgLORIOUS wrote:Blogged: http://www.toonforum.co.uk/blog/arsenal ... e-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and spell checked i notice <whistle>

User avatar
PLS
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies
Posts: 9139
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: At 'Work'

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by PLS » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:08 pm

aBSOLUTELYgLORIOUS wrote:Arsenal were incredibly poor in the second half. They showed no spirit at all. Walcott and Chamberlain both picked up knocks as well, Walcott's looked pretty serious and I'd be really surprised if he played any part. So we've got a chance.

Tiote will need to track Rosicky's runs, and if Jonas and Santon nullify Sagna I think that's a large part of RVP's supply cut off. He's not the quickest so I think a high line will be the way to go, I can't see him running it in from 40 yards and slotting past the keeper, I think Colo, Simpson and Santon are all quicker than him, but if Song chips him in he can finish beautifully first time as he showed against Liverpool at the weekend and earlier in the season against Everton. I don't really see us being able to set a plan of any kind for Gervinho, he's too erratic, hopefully he'll have a mare.

<yikes> <yikes> <yikes> <yikes> <yikes> <yikes> <yikes> <yikes> <yikes> <yikes>
<cheers> ............ ......... <cheers>

User avatar
Ramone
Interblew
Interblew
Posts: 18735
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:47 am
Location: The Homeland

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by Ramone » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:12 pm

I think Pardew's much maligned long balls could prove to be extremely effective against Arsenal. Cisse and Ba should have the beating of whoever Wenger has at the back and Guti and whoever starts on the right should be able to get into the space left by Arsenal's attacking fullbacks. As long as we accept that we aren't going to have much possession and that we will be attacking solely on the counter I think we're in with a chance.
REQUIEM

User avatar
The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9720
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Couldn't care less if Ox and Theo aren't playing us, we'll still get a mighty ass whoopin'!

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 21717
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by ALF » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Let's hope RVP plays like he did last night.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 30609
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:48 pm

I wish Mertesacker was playing.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies
Posts: 19158
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:11 pm
Location: Brighton

Re: Arsenal result last night

Post by Yacob » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:52 pm

I can't see Arsenal maintaining this run, I reckon 1-1

Post Reply