Match Thread: Newcastle v Palace

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Match Thread: Newcastle v Palace

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:47 pm

Wolves, Leicester and Palace - all solid PL sides and all dispatched.

If we’d got 4/5 points from those 3 I’d have been quite content, to win all of them is phenomenal.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Toon Ireland
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Toon Ireland » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:51 pm

Things really are looking up now, it's nice to have some positivity around the club for once. We have an interesting summer ahead and I can only imagine the crazy rumours. To be fair though the January recruitment was spot on so hopefully we'll continue in the same vein. There was a bit of a collective meh when Eddie Howe got appointed but fair fucks to him and his staff, they're doing an unreal job

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:51 pm

Immense achievement and points haul against our last three opponents at SJP.
Place is really becoming special again….
Looking like sore head Thursday 😜😜😜🥃🥃🥃
Clydeside & Tyneside

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:55 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:41 pm
Get in!!!

40 points. Who would've believed that back in December? Not me that's for sure. What a turn around!
Yep, I had us down at Xmas what a turn around! <diva>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:56 pm

Toon Ireland wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:51 pm
Things really are looking up now, it's nice to have some positivity around the club for once. We have an interesting summer ahead and I can only imagine the crazy rumours. To be fair though the January recruitment was spot on so hopefully we'll continue in the same vein. There was a bit of a collective meh when Eddie Howe got appointed but fair f***s to him and his staff, they're doing an unreal job
The positivity is brilliant.

I don’t think he’ll completely rip up the team as they’ve shown they can play as a team and win games.

I expect a defender (+ Targett on a permanent deal) and a couple of attackers but not too much more in the way of people to come into the first XI. A couple of young players to develop too.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:01 pm

Watching the goal from some overseas broadcast…..

Almiron ….Almironnnnnnm….. Almirooooooooon !!!!

Brilliant 🤣
Clydeside & Tyneside

Toon Ireland
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Toon Ireland » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:03 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:56 pm
Toon Ireland wrote:
Things really are looking up now, it's nice to have some positivity around the club for once. We have an interesting summer ahead and I can only imagine the crazy rumours. To be fair though the January recruitment was spot on so hopefully we'll continue in the same vein. There was a bit of a collective meh when Eddie Howe got appointed but fair f***s to him and his staff, they're doing an unreal job
The positivity is brilliant.

I don’t think he’ll completely rip up the team as they’ve shown they can play as a team and win games.

I expect a defender (+ Targett on a permanent deal) and a couple of attackers but not too much more in the way of people to come into the first XI. A couple of young players to develop too.

👆 that would be perfect. What we have is working and with a few tweaks we could really start to flourish. I agree we only a couple of first teamers, striker being the obvious position. But yeah, happy days lads. The future is bright

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:14 pm

Toon Ireland wrote:
This. Howe's done a brilliant job. Even though they weren't stellar / star names (apart from Trippier) they were exactly what we needed.. seasoned solid Premier League level pros with great attitude & character. Guimares just brought that Brazilian skill, elegancy, composure and class into the midfield, what a signing he's been! 35 - 40 mil will look peanuts in the coming years as he's gonna be a very important component in this new era. Already a Brazilian international and the sky is the limit with him.. already looks a top-8 / top 6 footballer.. wouldn't look out of place at say a Arsenal / Tottenham / Man United. Really glad we snapped him up! <diva>

Excellent three points.. St.James Park is a proper fortress now. We look unbeatable at home.. sadly can see it ending against Liverpool soon but what a run we've been on.

Norwich next.. hopefully we can end this poor away record we've had recently and get the three points. Would like too see the same team but maybe freshen things... Kraft out Manquillo in & Shelvey / Big Joe out Willock in. ASM hasn't looked himself recently so maybe give him a break and see if he be more of a impact sub on Saturday & give Murphy a start. <scratch>
Last edited by Sanchino on Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:14 pm

seaside nipper wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:01 pm
Watching the goal from some overseas broadcast…..

Almiron ….Almironnnnnnm….. Almirooooooooon !!!!

Brilliant 🤣

MIGGY. <run>

Like the goals he scored in Atlanta.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:30 pm

Get him signed <laugh>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:41 pm

<awe>

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:19 pm

Good time to be a Newcastle fan.
Kick on next season, two or three good signings and who knows?
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:29 am

Oval85 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:27 pm
god, not like this for 10 min more please. I'm concerned for Ulvers
<laugh> I survived, but only just!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:48 am

Hopefully we can enjoy Norwich away (fair play to anyone travelling to Carrow Road, it's an absolute pig of a place to get to) and then play against Liverpool and Man C with absolutely no pressure on us.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:32 am

Doesn't feel like this finish is getting the praise it deserves. Phenomenal.

Miggy has looked great past couple of games, if it wasn't amazing enough that Howe is elevating some players, we also now have Bruno doing the same on the pitch. I've always felt Miggy has made some good runs in behind the opposition but we never really had the players with the ability, vision or confidence to try to pick out those runs. I'm hoping this could be the start of something big for him. I think his main issue has been his confidence, if he gets more opportunities and gets himself in those advanced positions more often then he can really thrive imo.

I think it's going to be difficult in the transfer window now, if certain players keep improving it could give us a good dilemma going into the summer. Think if we can get another quality midfielder in, then that could further elevate people like Miggy and ASM. Although that would mean we would have to ship someone out, I think Hayden will be gone, talk of Longstaff getting a new contract means he will be probably staying. The way Shelvey has spoken recently shows he's either accepting he may be shipped out or willing to accept he may become a bit part player, the latter I think would be the best option.

Joelinton although he's been quality in midfield, I can see him eventually becoming more of a situational player for games where we need the running and energy, it's a shame he just can't add a decent level of goals and assists to his game.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:58 am

It was a sublime goal, no doubt about that. And I agree, Miggy has done well since coming in to cover Fraser's injury but he still has to add end product consistently. If he plays the rest of the season (likely) then I'd hope to see another couple of goal contributions given the minutes he'll get. Obvs we have some tough games and won't have much of the ball, but if he wants a regular role in the team going forward then he should be delivering against the likes of Norwich and Burnley. But definitely signs of improvement lately so maybe the Howe effect and a run of games will see him fulfil some of his potential rather than just being someone who runs a lot.

I think in summer we'll get rid of Clark, Fernandez, Lewis (on loan somewhere), Hendrick, Gayle and probably Hayden. Shelvey I think will certainly stay as he's probably playing his best football under Howe, and on this form I expect Joelinton to retain his spot as he's so central to the way the team play and the presence/muscle he adds in midfield.

Funny thing is, a month ago I'd have said Krafu was nailed on to be sold, but he has been very good lately and doesn't look out of place. Based on the way he's been playing I'd have no qualms about keeping him as cover for Trippier next season.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:56 pm

I can see Lascelles going as well

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:22 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:58 am
It was a sublime goal, no doubt about that. And I agree, Miggy has done well since coming in to cover Fraser's injury but he still has to add end product consistently. If he plays the rest of the season (likely) then I'd hope to see another couple of goal contributions given the minutes he'll get. Obvs we have some tough games and won't have much of the ball, but if he wants a regular role in the team going forward then he should be delivering against the likes of Norwich and Burnley. But definitely signs of improvement lately so maybe the Howe effect and a run of games will see him fulfil some of his potential rather than just being someone who runs a lot.

I think in summer we'll get rid of Clark, Fernandez, Lewis (on loan somewhere), Hendrick, Gayle and probably Hayden. Shelvey I think will certainly stay as he's probably playing his best football under Howe, and on this form I expect Joelinton to retain his spot as he's so central to the way the team play and the presence/muscle he adds in midfield.

Funny thing is, a month ago I'd have said Krafu was nailed on to be sold, but he has been very good lately
and doesn't look out of place. Based on the way he's been playing I'd have no qualms about keeping him as cover for Trippier next season.
Thing is he’s now getting game time and it’s showing. He is a Swedish International and playing in the last two big tournaments so he deffo has ability. He’s just getting a chance and looks tbe better for it.
All credit to him, he’s improved along with just about every player under EH.
Makes you wonder eh 😊 obviously wasn’t too keen on Greggs.
Clydeside & Tyneside

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:16 pm

seaside nipper wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:22 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:58 am

Funny thing is, a month ago I'd have said Krafu was nailed on to be sold, but he has been very good lately
and doesn't look out of place. Based on the way he's been playing I'd have no qualms about keeping him as cover for Trippier next season.
Thing is he’s now getting game time and it’s showing. He is a Swedish International and playing in the last two big tournaments so he deffo has ability. He’s just getting a chance and looks tbe better for it.
it's almost like playing to your squad's strengths and demonstrating confidence in them to do more than just aimlessly soak up pressure can actually get the best out of your players and produce results. Craziness. It was so obvious for so long that most of our managers for the past decade+ weren't adding any meaningful value.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:24 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:16 pm
seaside nipper wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:22 pm

it's almost like playing to your squad's strengths and demonstrating confidence in them to do more than just aimlessly soak up pressure can actually get the best out of your players and produce results. Craziness. It was so obvious for so long that most of our managers for the past decade+ weren't adding any meaningful value.
Also acknowledging that tactics, training and fitness are all things, and not giving the squad (and consequently the management team) four days off a week.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair