Season Review 21/22

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Season Review 21/22

Post by lassassinblanc » Sun May 22, 2022 9:50 pm

Season Review

Another fun packed season comes to an end, and what a season :)

I suppose this season can be split into probably 4 sections

1. Pre Takeover

What can I say about the first part of the season, as always we start with blind optimism which is quickly sapped away after the transfer window closes with only Joe Willock returning on a permanent deal and talk of our great owner not being willing to stump up any more cash for even loans.

Some very lacklustre performances including a 1-1 draw with a shockingly bad Watford team had us languishing in the relegation zone winless and with relegation almost guaranteed if something didn't change soon, little did we know it soon would....

2. Takeover Joy
The 7th October is a date which will live long in all Toon fans memories (the hangovers will anyway) on this day we celebrated like we'd won the Champions League not due to the fact that we'd been bought by one of , if not the richest group in the world but more due to the fact Mike Ashley was gone, we could dream again...

3. Bruce Out, Howe-Ay
I'd always said Bruce could only do as much as he could do as his hands were basically tied behind his back by Ashley but our new owners knew that something needed to change and soon after the first game under the new era Bruce was gone, there was about a month until we'd get in Eddie Howe, with the likes of Unai Emery and Paolo Foncesa all talked up as being nailed on. Howe's first game came after the November international break and it wasn't until the 4th December that we picked up our first win of the season against Burnley, a tough December followed and at the turn of the year we sat 19th with 10 points, we needed something in the transfer window

4. Transfer turnaround

Well the start of January started with defeat in the FA Cup to Cambridge, at least we could concentrate on the league <laugh>
A disappointing draw at home to Watford left us praying, but we then went on a 7 match unbeaten run inspired by smart January signings Kieran Trippier, Dan Burn, Chris Wood and the jewel that is Bruno Guimarães Rodrigues Moura.

That run seen us rise to 14th and we started to look more in the rear view mirror as we slipped away from the relegation zone 3 losses in March aside we began to dream of next season in the PL another 4 game winning streak all but sealed it, we'd finish the season with our annual hammering from Manchester City and probably our best display in many years against Arsenal we'd then finish the season with a 2-1 win away to Burnley.

Roll on the 22/23 season and what is bound to be a fun transfer window.
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Mon May 23, 2022 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Re: Season Review 21/22

Player review

Goalkeepers

Martin Dubravka
Our best goalkeeper by a mile, similar to last season though he started the season injured and appeared to need a few games to find his rhythm, I agree with the assessment that while he's our best keeper I think we need an improvement if we want to go to the next level, in terms a rating between 1-10 I'd give him a 6/10

Karl Darlow
Like I've always said he's a typical backup keeper, will never pull up any trees, I think he'll probably be leaving this season again I'd give him a 6/10

Freddie Woodman
Was meant to meant to go out on loan but started the season as our number one due to injuries and covid issues, and i'll be honest I think we got our answer as to whether or not he'd be ready for PL football. He eventually moved to Bournemouth on loan in January but failed to make an appearance in the Championship. 4/10

Mark Gillespie
Didn't make a single appearance so going to say n/a

Defenders

Jamaal Lascelles
I suppose I'll start with the club captain, it's clear injuries have taken their toll on Jamaal but I still think he gives everything when he is able to but the lapses in concentration and poor positioning cost us dearly a few times this season, it will be interesting to see what happens him come the summer 5/10

Fabian Schar
If there is one player you could say Howe turned around then (Joelinton aside more on him later) it has to be Schar, I think many had lost faith in him, but we all knew that he had the potential to be that ball playing defender you need in the modern game much improved as Howe started to implement his way and formed a great partnership with Dan Burn delighted to see him sign a new deal 7/10

Ciaran Clark
Only included for the first half of the season, a very poor season for him and i'd imagine he'll be leaving come next season 3/10

Fede Fernandez

A season disrupted by injuries only making a total of 7 appearances, one year left on his deal given his age I'd say he'll be moved on in the summer but a great servant 5/10

Dan Burn

The big local lad came in in January and as previous stated formed a great partnership with Schar, a very unrated signing 7/10

Emil Krafth

Once again Emil gets a lot of criticism for probably not being the most glamouress of players but he's a solid pro who gives his all, yes there can be the small lapses but he again improved under Howe 6/10

Javi Manquillo

Slowly but surely he became a fan favourite and still remains so, injuries once again halted his season, he'll be an interesting one to what happens with during the summer 6/10

Kieran Trippier
The first signing of the new era and despite only playing 7 games he made a real impact with his leadership and of course two goals. 7/10

Matt Targett
Our deadline day signing and he made a great impact adding energy and guile to what has been a problem area for us for years. Hopefully we can agree a deal keep him here full time 7/10

Jamal Lewis
Another left out after January it just didn't work this season for him (injuries of course played a part), I think there is still talent there and hopefully Howe can unlock or he can find a loan that will work for him 3/10

Paul Dummett

Another injury wrecked season, signed a one year extension now whether this was to avoid losing him on a free or not I'm glad he's signed it always good to have a home grown player n/a
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Mon May 23, 2022 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Player review
Midfield

Joelinton
If you had said to someone at the start of the season that Joelinton would win player of the season, they would be readying a straight jacket. But what turn around from the lad and what a job Howe has done to turn him from an 40M flop to what looks like a probable bargain now. Still has some work to do when he plays higher up but what an improvement by him 9/10

Jonjo Shelvey
He has his critics but I still think on his day he could ping a ball which wins us a game, injuries affected him a little this season, It will be interesting to see what happens with him next season 6/10

Joe Willock
He was our only signing during the summer and one will all wanted to happen after his performances the season before, he didn't have the same impact this season but still came up with a few moments probably another who we'll have to see what happens come the summer 6/10

Sean Longstaff
Another one who got left behind by Bruce and as mentioned in interviews he's been impressed by Howe and hopes he can improve, similar to Dummett good to have a home grown lad in the squad but will probably never be more than a Squad/fringe player 5/10

Isaac Hayden
One due to injury probably didn't get his chance under Howe, left out in January and his latest social media posts seems like he's on his way out of the club and best wishes to him, if we could find players with the same mentality to replace him then we'll do well 6/10

Bruno Guimarães
Our big January signing, and what a player this lad looks like he can be and what an impact he made 5 goals and a few assists, can't wait to see how he'll improve 8/10

Miguel Almiron
if you can describe Miggy in one word it would be workhorse, the lad never stops, OK his end product can be questionable, he may leave in the summer. 6/10

Ryan Fraser
Definitely improved once Howe came in though his injury record worries me 6/10

Jacob Murphy
Our go to game changer (19 subs appearances) a well publicised Toon fan, you can tell playing for us means everything to him similar to Miggy his end product can be questionable another who we may see leave 6/10

Matt Ritchie
One who has drifted out of the picture had his moments this season and covered a few positions when needed saying that he's another who I think will be leaving come the summer 5/10

Allan Saint-Maximin
What can I about Max, he's either really good or a liability, when he is good he is good when bad he is bad, some questionable comments which were probably taken out of context, but he's a great player and he's definitely one with can hopefully build the team around 7/10

Forwards

Callum Wilson
Top scorer despite another season of bonding with the physios, our number one striker but as said injury record worries me 7/10

Chris Wood
There were questions marks (and a few laughs) when we signed him, but he's done a very good job in the absence of Wilson, I think he'll stay around for at least another season but he'll definitely be down the pecking order next season.

Dwight Gayle
Another player that I've probably being saying the same thing about the last few seasons, not PL level and will most likely leave in the summer 4/10

Players out on Loan
Jeff Hendrick
I think he was never going to pull up trees for us and I still think he's a decent player but he doesn't do it consistently enough was poor while away at QPR and he'll be either loaned out again or sold in the summer

Matty Longstaff
Tbh a didn't really follow his loan moves that closely but didn't seem to do much at either Aberdeen or Manfields maybe one who Howe can work his magic on during pre-season.

Elliot Anderson
I think this lad has potential another loan move next season perhaps back to Bristol to see how he gets on in the next step up.
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Tue May 24, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sun May 22, 2022 9:52 pm

What is needed

The first time in two years I don't have to include New Manager or New Owner on the list <dotheameobi>

In terms of what we need being logical

Goalkeeper- we've been linked with Dean Henderson I think he's a decent keeper and will give Dubravka better competition than Darlow/Woodman/Gillespie given that I believe at least 2 of that 3 will leave (whether on loan or permanent) I can see us going for a keeper.

Centre back- with the likes of Clark, Fede and perhaps Lascelles heading for the exit we'll definitely need at least one more body here, we've been heavily linked with James Tarkowski on a free he'd be a good signing, we probably need another rock here the likes of Botman and Diego Carlos who we pursued in January might be revisited, One I think we might go for and one to keep an eye on ;) is Victor Lindelöf

Left Back- I think we hope Targett might be made permanent, links to Renan Lodi too which would be a great signing too, I think we'll definitely see movement here.

CM- more competition needed here, there's been a few Lucas Paqueta rumours who'd be brilliant, I think this will all depend on who leaves to open up space in the squad.

Wingers- Again this probably depends on departures if the likes of Miggy/Murphy was to go we'd need replacement/improvements on them. Sarr from Watford has been rumoured as has a move for Ekitike who can cover both wings and CF position. Dare I say Thorgan Hazard would be nice <whistle>

CF- let's be honest we've needed a striker for the past couple of seasons, Wilson can only do so much and is injury prone,Wood is nothing more than backup, I actually don't know who'll we'll bring in here tbh probably Ekitike, would love to see us make a move for Alexander Isak
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Tue May 24, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun May 22, 2022 9:53 pm

Tease <fist>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Sun May 22, 2022 11:39 pm

Reserved for reviewer review

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Mon May 23, 2022 7:27 am

uv put 2 player review, whys thatm8? are you doiun one individual player eahc for them both or is it sth else? tryin work it out lol also wen u doin them be interesting read

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon May 23, 2022 8:22 am

gola wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:27 am
uv put 2 player review, whys thatm8? are you doiun one individual player eahc for them both or is it sth else? tryin work it out lol also wen u doin them be interesting read
Yep I usually split Goalkeepers/defence and Midfield/Forwards into two separate posts (I think there is a character limit too so just being safe )
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon May 23, 2022 9:12 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:50 pm
Season Review

1. Pre Takeover

What can I say about the first part of the season, as always we start with blind optimism which is quickly sapped away after the transfer window closes with only Joe Willock returning on a permanent deal and talk of our great owner not being willing to stump up any more cash for even loans.

Some very lacklustre performances including a 1-1 draw with a shockingly bad Watford team had us languishing in the relegation zone winless and with relegation almost guaranteed if something didn't change soon, little did we know it soon would....

2. Takeover Joy
The 7th October is a date which will live long in all Toon fans memories (the hangovers will anyway) on this day we celebrated like we'd won the Champions League not due to the fact that we'd been bought by one of , if not the richest group in the world but more due to the fact Mike Ashley was gone, we could dream again...

3. Bruce Out, Howe-Ay
I'd always said Bruce could only do as much as he could do as his hands were basically tied behind his back by Ashley but our new owners knew that something needed to change and soon after the first game under the new era Bruce was gone, there was about a month until we'd get in Eddie Howe, with the likes of Unai Emery and Paolo Foncesa all talked up as being nailed on. Howe's first game came after the November international break and it wasn't until the 4th December that we picked up our first win of the season against Burnley, a tough December followed and at the turn of the year we sat 19th with 10 points, we needed something in the transfer window

4. Transfer turnaround

Well the start of January started with defeat in the FA Cup to Cambridge, at least we could concentrate on the league <laugh>
A disappointing draw at home to Watford left us praying, but we then went on a 7 match unbeaten run inspired by smart January signings Kieran Trippier, Dan Burn, Chris Wood and the jewel that is Bruno Guimarães Rodrigues Moura.

That run seen us rise to 14th and we started to look more in the rear view mirror as we slipped away from the relegation zone 3 losses in March aside we began to dream of next season in the PL another 4 game winning streak all but sealed it, we'd finish the season with our annual hammering from Manchester City and probably our best display in many years against Arsenal we'd then finish the season with a 2-1 win away to Burnley.

Nice.

The only thing I'd disagree with is that Bruce could only do as much as he could with his hands tied.

That is partly true as we only signed Willock, but his entire approach was lazy and unprofessional. Far too many (well publicised) days off, praising the team when they were clearly awful, players being unfit, no tactics (his own admission...), players not knowing their roles etc. was all on him. Yes he had to work with what he had but he didn't even do the minimum with them.

When Howe came in, even before he started winning games you could see players getting fitter and more organised which is the basic you'd expect from anyone in a Head Coach role.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon May 23, 2022 9:18 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:12 am
lassassinblanc wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:50 pm
Season Review

1. Pre Takeover

2. Takeover Joy

3. Bruce Out, Howe-Ay

4. Transfer turnaround

Nice.

The only thing I'd disagree with is that Bruce could only do as much as he could with his hands tied.

That is partly true as we only signed Willock, but his entire approach was lazy and unprofessional. Far too many (well publicised) days off, praising the team when they were clearly awful, players being unfit, no tactics (his own admission...), players not knowing their roles etc. was all on him. Yes he had to work with what he had but he didn't even do the minimum with them.

When Howe came in, even before he started winning games you could see players getting fitter and more organised which is the basic you'd expect from anyone in a Head Coach role.
True of course , I'd actually meant to point that out so thanks for bringing it up, definitely you could see our players getting fitter and more structured as Howe started to work his magic.
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon May 23, 2022 10:09 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:18 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:12 am

Nice.

True of course , I'd actually meant to point that out so thanks for bringing it up, definitely you could see our players getting fitter and more structured as Howe started to work his magic.
A friend of mine is a WBA season ticket holder so I'll get them to let me know if they experience similar regression under Bruce <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon May 23, 2022 11:39 am

I love the fact that we keep getting player interviews where they skirt round how s*** he was. Longstaff saying he hadn't had any development in two years without saying why etc.

I'll always maintain that the gap between Dubravka and Darlow is nowhere near as big as some make out, but it's probably an academic point at this stage, both could be backup or gone very soon.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon May 23, 2022 12:24 pm

I suppose it’s a mix of professional courtesy and potentially thinking he could be their manager again one day E.g. wouldn’t be any surprise if the likes of Ritchie, Gayle, Clark ended up at wba next season.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon May 23, 2022 4:48 pm

Goalkeepers and defence updated shall hopefully do midfield and forwards tomorrow
I'll Hazard a guess

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon May 23, 2022 5:08 pm

*Reserved for a Thorgan Hazard jibe*

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon May 23, 2022 5:38 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:08 pm
*Reserved for a Thorgan Hazard jibe*
<smooch>
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 24, 2022 8:13 am

On the defender reviews, of all the players to play regularly (or frequently) this season there is only one that hasn't improved or shown progress under Howe; and that is Lascelles. He has been a good servant to the club through some difficult times, and did have an excellent season or so under Rafa but ultimately we need someone who is better and can develop.

Schar improved massively under Howe, Burn has come in and looked very assured and formed a good understanding with Schar, and even Krafth has come on leaps and bounds whilst Lascelles just kind of stayed exactly the same. It seems nailed on that we'll sign another CB in summer and that will bump Lascelles down to 4th choice (which is fine, if he was happy to not play often) but realistically I doubt he'll want that and it will be time to move on. If Forest come up maybe he could go back there perhaps.

I wouldn't mind if he did stay for another season as 4th choice and play a few cup games etc. but that'd be it I think. I remember watching the Arsenal game and the ball dropped out of the air to him at one point when no Arsenal player was close to him. Even though he had time, he headed it straightaway upfield whereas Schar/Burn would have had to confidence and ability to control the ball and look for the pass rather than just lumping it back forward when not under any pressure and I think that's the difference.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 24, 2022 8:59 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:13 am
On the defender reviews, of all the players to play regularly (or frequently) this season there is only one that hasn't improved or shown progress under Howe; and that is Lascelles. He has been a good servant to the club through some difficult times, and did have an excellent season or so under Rafa but ultimately we need someone who is better and can develop.

Schar improved massively under Howe, Burn has come in and looked very assured and formed a good understanding with Schar, and even Krafth has come on leaps and bounds whilst Lascelles just kind of stayed exactly the same. It seems nailed on that we'll sign another CB in summer and that will bump Lascelles down to 4th choice (which is fine, if he was happy to not play often) but realistically I doubt he'll want that and it will be time to move on. If Forest come up maybe he could go back there perhaps.

I wouldn't mind if he did stay for another season as 4th choice and play a few cup games etc. but that'd be it I think. I remember watching the Arsenal game and the ball dropped out of the air to him at one point when no Arsenal player was close to him. Even though he had time, he headed it straightaway upfield whereas Schar/Burn would have had to confidence and ability to control the ball and look for the pass rather than just lumping it back forward when not under any pressure and I think that's the difference.
Yeah agree he'll definitely be 4th choice and it will be interesting to see what happens him as you mention he didn't seem to improve at all this season under Howe like others , I think he'll be kept around for his leadership at least until we get a few more like Trippier in for example,
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 24, 2022 1:09 pm

Midfield /Forwards and what is needed updated.

PTAO over to you for the reviewer review <whistle>
I'll Hazard a guess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 24, 2022 1:35 pm

To Matty Longstaff's credit, he seems to have had a good run for Mansfield, scoring 6 and adding 2 assists. Obviously performance like that in League 2 means nothing for his potential to cut it with us, but I'm sure Mansfield feels they made a good short term addition at least.