Football Titbits

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Football Titbits

Post by Colly » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:15 am

Valentino's fast feet wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:16 am
What's everyone's opinion on the Henderson move to Ajax? There's the obvious, of course. I think he's set fire to a lot of things, let alone burning his bridges, but certain things aren't always a priority.

There's been some reports already about it being a "downfall" for the saudi league, high profile player pushing for a move away etc. I think that only becomes a story when several happen in the same window. Then it becomes an avalanche.

As for Henderson, I think the polite term is "badly advised". We can't call him a f***ing idiot because it'd just seem like rivalry s***. But he's been a right berkley hunt. The Athletic interview he did after he moved made things so much worse, because it gave the impression he had no idea why people were disappointed with him.
This sums it up perfectly.

As for the end of the Saudi league, that won't really happen because they can keep propping it up indefinitely until they get bored, whether anyone watches the thing doesn't really matter. What it probably does end is any decent English player (or indeed anyone who couldn't handle a massive culture clash, see also the Russian and Chinese leagues) going over there unless they're 38 and desperate for cash.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:25 am

I don't care if any player chases the money, I'd do it. Just don't **** about the reasons behind what you're doing. He's earnt almost £10m for being there 6 months (that's without any signing on bonus etc.), that's the sole reason he went to Saudi. I'd respect players who came out and said "they're paying me 3x as much as I'm currently on for doing exactly the same thing".
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:55 am

Not to be overtly political or controversial and s**** but well f***ing played Henderson.

Vini, vidi, vici.

f*** em. Life is too short.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:46 am

Supposedly he hasn't been paid yet...

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:31 pm

Colly wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:46 am
Supposedly he hasn't been paid yet...
And the reason he's targetting a continental team is to avoid British taxes until he's been gone long enough.

As for the significance, his is nothing to the Saudi League, but if it's to believed that Benzema also wants shot already - that I think is a much bigger deal.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:06 pm

The arrogance of our media thinking Henderson is the poster boy for a league that has the likes of Ronaldo etc 🤣.

In terms of morals, money etc, who honestly gives a f***, it's all fake outrage half the time. Why do we expect people to justify accepting absurd amounts of money to go play football, especially those at the back end of their career. I understand a footballing argument for players in their prime who could be fighting for CL etc but still if their motivation is money then what's it really to anyone else.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:37 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:06 pm
The arrogance of our media thinking Henderson is the poster boy for a league that has the likes of Ronaldo etc 🤣.

In terms of morals, money etc, who honestly gives a ****, it's all fake outrage half the time. Why do we expect people to justify accepting absurd amounts of money to go play football, especially those at the back end of their career. I understand a footballing argument for players in their prime who could be fighting for CL etc but still if their motivation is money then what's it really to anyone else.
The money part wasn’t really the issue though.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:23 am

jpg wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:37 am
Don Sholeone wrote:

In terms of morals, money etc, who honestly gives a ****, it's all fake outrage half the time. Why do we expect people to justify accepting absurd amounts of money to go play football, especially those at the back end of their career. I understand a footballing argument for players in their prime who could be fighting for CL etc but still if their motivation is money then what's it really to anyone else.
Exactly this, and it was more that he tried to deny the money was a deciding factor as well, and seemed to not understand why people were so upset. Obviously it's about the money, and a lot of people if offered that kind of money would take it, of course they would. But it's about the regime - which is obviously a sticky wicket given our ownership - and what they represent. More so as this is a player who spoke strongly in favour of things that are horrendously considered illegal in that country. If a player came out and said yeah they are paying me a f***ing fortune, it wouldn't be half as bad. Still not great again because of where it is, but still.

There was a swedish player years ago, Rasmus Elm. Had a lot of potential and linked all over Europe, but ended up going to a Russian club at the start of the big surge there. I vaguely remember him reading basically football is a job to him and they offered the most, so there you go. Which in some ways gotta respect that. Henderson can f*** off, though.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:56 am

jpg wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:37 am
Don Sholeone wrote:

No, the issue was people just want something to moan about. People these days are just waiting for an opportunity to arise so they can criticise someone else living their lives and putting themselves and family first. It's just one big "I'm morally better than you" competition. It's all f*** you, f*** your life, f*** your family you have to do what other people want you to do and be what other people want you to be just to keep them happy.

The biggest annoyance for me is that a man is standing there having to justify doing what he wanted for himself and family to a load of t*** bags who think they and their opinions are above everyone else's.

That was the issue.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:58 pm

Personally I don’t have any time for hypocrites, famous or otherwise, which he is.

But generally I agree, we’ve produced a society where people can’t wait to be offended and to vent their “outrage” at every possible opportunity. It’s like when the BBC s*** their pants if someone swears on air and have to get the presenters to apologise profusely. Who gives a f***. Someone saying f***/s***/bollocks on TV isn’t going to kill anyone but you can bet some uptight prick will complain about it.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:09 pm

The hypocrisy is another debate all together but it's kinda rooted from the same place, everyone these days is expected to stand up for something, especially celebrities as it helps their "Brand" I'm pretty sure Jordan Henderson didn't wake up one day and decide to make a stand off his own back, yeah maybe he had his opinions on certain things but I'm pretty sure it was more the advisors etc that would have pushed him to the forefront on certain issues and make it so public to help with his image which in turn they would market.

It's all about what's viable, morals and a good image don't make you more successful and financially secure than playing football in a wealthy country like Saudi Arabia.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:53 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:09 pm
The hypocrisy is another debate all together but it's kinda rooted from the same place, everyone these days is expected to stand up for something, especially celebrities as it helps their "Brand" I'm pretty sure Jordan Henderson didn't wake up one day and decide to make a stand off his own back, yeah maybe he had his opinions on certain things but I'm pretty sure it was more the advisors etc that would have pushed him to the forefront on certain issues and make it so public to help with his image which in turn they would market.

It's all about what's viable, morals and a good image don't make you more successful and financially secure than playing football in a wealthy country like Saudi Arabia.
The hypocrisy is the crux of the matter. Nobody forced him to be the poster boy, but you can’t have it both ways. He was 100% deserved of the scrutiny.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:01 am

<ok>

I think his Ajax press conference basically summed it up, looking sheepish as f*** trying to dodge answering whether he regretted the move whilst also making it really f***ing obvious he regretted the move.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:05 am

Starting to wonder if the club has had a fallout with Castore, I was surprised when they announced the Adidas deal on the documentary considering how early in the season that dropped, now with the new Adidas advert having 3 of our players having prominent roles. It all seems a bit odd whilst Castore is still our official kit/Merch providers. Surely the Adidas deal being announced so early has impacted sales of this season's shirt, i know that likely doesn't affect us due to how it was structured, but does feel a bit odd and a slap in the face for Castore.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:46 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:05 am
Starting to wonder if the club has had a fallout with Castore, I was surprised when they announced the Adidas deal on the documentary considering how early in the season that dropped, now with the new Adidas advert having 3 of our players having prominent roles. It all seems a bit odd whilst Castore is still our official kit/Merch providers. Surely the Adidas deal being announced so early has impacted sales of this season's shirt, i know that likely doesn't affect us due to how it was structured, but does feel a bit odd and a slap in the face for Castore.
Castore have consistently been awful from what I've seen online through fan complaints. No stock, massive delays when ordering, sending out wrong sizes and wrong names on the back and zero customer service. Not just us either, Villa cancelled their deal early due to their kit being low quality. Can't think of a kit supplier that's ever been worse

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:51 am

Even before the takeover they had massive supply issues, so if they couldn't cope then they've no chance now. The kits haven't been bad, but the pricing on everything was absurd, and the quality of the non football stuff was awful. Bought my son a Castore track top for football in the sale a few years back (£15 down from £60) and it didn't even look worth the £15.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:32 am

I’m in the minority, I’ve never had a bad experience (only ordered training kit) and the quality has been absolutely fine. I’ve got a midlayer jumper that I wear often and it’s absolutely fine, a couple of training t-shirts and a couple of gym vests. All absolutely fine.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:14 am

Castore are a relatively small North West based start up. Made sense to partner with them under the sports direct days. But I guess now nufc want big £££ for deals, so that means one of the big players.

Also I'm guessing Castore don't yet have good worldwide sales connections which nufc would want
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:59 am

Only bought next year's Christmas jumper from them in the Jan sales <laugh>

To be honest it's kinda what my post is about, I'd have got this year's kit but held off once I found out about Adidas next year. Why risk all the potential f*** ups and ball aches that comes with Castore when I could just get an Adidas one in a season's time. Got me thinking how many other people feel the same way.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:07 pm

I'll do what I usually do and look in May to see what's in the end of season sale (if there is one this time) and hopefully nab the home kit for £20. Then a year later I'll do the same for Adidas but might consider shirt printing again...