Lineker removed from MOTD for criticising govt

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Lineker removed from MOTD for criticising govt

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:06 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64920557

Can’t say I’ve ever thought he was anything amazing to justify the salary, thought couldn’t give a crap about what he chooses to talk about on Twatter.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: Weekend football - 11/12 March 2023

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:32 pm

Oh, f*** off bbc
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:50 pm

Absolutely ridiculous decision

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:18 pm

I deleted what I originally thought about the policy and the government statements criticising him...But what a shambles. Credit to him for saying what he thought was right despite knowing who butters his bread.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:19 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:06 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64920557

Can’t say I’ve ever thought he was anything amazing to justify the salary, thought couldn’t give a crap about what he chooses to talk about on Twatter.
Tories run the bbc now and people seen fine about removing him because he, a sports presenter has some political views on twitter that run against our horrible, racist , quasi fascist governments ridiculous policies.

Its madness. And it's all under the guise of "well you pay his wages, the working man" . Mad. Just mad.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:34 pm

I am shocked that a board of stooges installed by the tories with the goal of preventing criticism of the tories has taken exception to a non-journalist, freelance sports TV presenter disagreeing with tory policy on his personal Twitter account.

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:36 pm

Hard to find anything positive around the ridiculous BBC latest “decision” concerning Gary Lineker !
Maybe collectively people should just stop paying their licence fee ?!?!
I hate politics and politicians as a rule but this current so called government is proving utterly corrupt and inept. Their influence and doctoring agenda is indeed very pernicious and an attack on free speech.
The positive I suppose is that Sunderland have said they won’t be appearing on MOTD as a sign of solidarity with Gary. Good for them 🙃
Clydeside & Tyneside

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:44 pm

If I watch motd it’s on iplayer and I fast forward the waffling punditry between games, so having no pundits or presenters this week won’t make a blind bit of difference to me! Better than having to listen to Danny Murphy!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:01 pm

I honestly quite like the punditry (Murphy and Keown aside of course) but that's by the by.

I'm so pleased that so many of his colleagues have shown there's far more important people at the BBC than the Tory cunts at the top. Complete storm in a teacup of the Beebs own making, if they hadn't spent two days making Daily Mail headlines their top story it might have just disappeared, as it is they've tried to throw him under the bus for fuckall but completely misread the mood. Had it (and still were it to) gone to court I actually can't see how they could find his words anything but factual.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:32 pm

MOTD will now go ahead (as it stands) with no pundits or commentary. I'm sure some Twitter nonces will be saying "that'll be the best one ever", but it won't be.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:55 pm

Commentators add to matches, pundits rarely do imo.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:23 am

The BBC have also apparently pulled an episode of David Attenborough's latest series because of fears it will piss off right-wingers. Apparently it contains sections about destruction of the environment and calls for the re-wilding of parts of the UK. It won't be shown on tv and will only be available on iPlayer.

The BBC needs to grow a spine and stop kowtowing to conservative fuckwits.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:13 am

Good punditry massively adds to the value of sports programmes. Admittedly, BBC punditry is fairly surface level compared to the analysis on Monday Night Football for example, but that’s because it’s for a broader audience who are less invested. Lots of people learn from the analysis on MOTD - I know I certainly did as a kid. I’m sure there’s plenty of other people who could do the job for less, but that’s not the issue. The issue is, quite literally, thought policing.

For a political faction who are constantly trying to drum up culture wars about people being too sensitive and soft, they complain more about the most minor indiscretions than people do about their lives being torn to pieces from barbaric government policies. It’s almost poetic how the corporate backlash over his comments highlights the fact we continue to march towards a fascistic, authoritarian hellhole of a country.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:21 am

To an extent I agree he shouldn't be getting involved due to his status as a BBC presenter, but the problem is it's only an issue for them when he digs out the Tories. The BBC is essentially a tory state propaganda tool now and has been for a very long time. It's pretty scary the point we have gotten to with this government to be honest.

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

linekar motd

Post by gola » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:12 am

anyone not with gary on this??? so hapy shearer n wright arre behind him

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Re: linekar motd

Post by gola » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:39 am

"Bournemouth and Liverpool will refuse to speak to the BBC pre and post match. Other clubs are expected to follow."

Timshorts 2
Portugal (Man baby)
Portugal (Man baby)

Re: linekar motd

Post by Timshorts 2 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:45 am

It's a pity that the noise about it has been diverted from the point that he was making to tax issues, bbc impartiality, etc.

I get that this is a deliberate attempt by the tory party to get their ratings up looking forward to the next election and that "stop the boats" is the next "get brexit done", but just as they seemed to have started the process with the new leader of trying to convince that they were "grown-ups" and could be trusted by the other "grown-up" countries, we get this ill thought out teddy throwing that even they themselves suspect is unlawful.

It is a big pity that the braverman woman has a huge majority. She makes amber heard look tolerant.

Timshorts 2
Portugal (Man baby)
Portugal (Man baby)

Post by Timshorts 2 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:58 am

Colly wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:01 pm
I honestly quite like the punditry (Murphy and Keown aside of course) but that's by the by.

I'm so pleased that so many of his colleagues have shown there's far more important people at the BBC than the Tory cronuts at the top. Complete storm in a teacup of the Beebs own making, if they hadn't spent two days making Daily Mail headlines their top story it might have just disappeared, as it is they've tried to throw him under the bus for fuckall but completely misread the mood. Had it (and still were it to) gone to court I actually can't see how they could find his words anything but factual.
There was a professor on radio 4 yesterday stating that the comparison to 1930's Germany was not a very good one. He thought the better comparison was to late 1930's Switzerland when they stopped allowing persecuted Jewish refugees from Germany crossing the border claiming that they were "full" . The tory MP that they had on for balance was, frankly, embarrassing.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:53 am

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:23 am
The BBC have also apparently pulled an episode of David Attenborough's latest series because of fears it will piss off right-wingers. Apparently it contains sections about destruction of the environment and calls for the re-wilding of parts of the UK. It won't be shown on tv and will only be available on iPlayer.

The BBC needs to grow a spine and stop kowtowing to conservative fuckwits.
That one ended up a bit of misinformation as the 6th episode was never intended for the BBC, the Guardian article helpfully left that fact in the last paragraph. That said between Lineker and the Fiona Bruce/Stanley Johnson fiasco it's probably been the worst week for the BBC since they tried to "both sides" racism with Naga Munchetty.

The problem isn't even impartiality, it's the wrong kind of impartiality, and had Lineker come out in favour of being inhuman to refugees he'd be presenting MOTD tonight and probably in line for a bonus. I've never ever been a fan of Kaveh Solkehol but this is excellent.

Oh, and no Football Focus, Final Score and probably no 5 Live commentary. Lots of backbone at the BBC.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: Lineker removed from MOTD for criticising govt

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:42 pm

My biggest fear with this is that Lineker comes across as pretty arrogant and egotistical most of the time so it won't have as big of an impact as it really should with the general population. Overheard a few people talk about this situation and they didn't really grasp how dangerous this situation is in terms of the BBC becoming a propaganda tool, their focus was the fact they don't like Lineker so don't have any sympathy.

It's kinda frustrating as I think this could and should have a much bigger impact than it's having.