Players from relegated clubs

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Players from relegated clubs

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:30 am

Bit of an odd one this year given we're (thankfully) not in the relegation scrap but as always there's some decent players out there who might find themselves playing Championship football next season who shouldn't and would be a good signing even in our current situation.
Here's my usual rún down of players who we could go for from relegated teams.

1st of given there's still 10 games to go and only 3 points between Palace in 12th and Bournemouth in 18th I'm going to start from the bottom up.

I'll add i think it's really between the teams from West ham down who will be in the fight until the end of the season.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Re: Players from relegated clubs

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:50 am

Southampton

Currently bottom I've mentioned before that relegation would catch up to them eventually (like it did for ourselves, Burnley, Sunderland etc in the last few years)

But saying that they do have the typical too good to go down squad here's a few players who I think will be of interest.

James Ward Prowse- top of the list, he's been linked already and is much discussed in the transfer thread already, i for one would think he'd be a good signing, people who say that he's a one trick pony who only knows how to take set pieces are kidding themselves, he's a good all rounder, brings a lot of energy and has an eye for a pass I'd imagine if he was to leave it would probably be a 30-50m fee which is normal nowadays but I'd agree that sort of money could be spent on better abroad.

Adam Armstrong - wouldn't be too bad as 3rd choice (if he was willing) with the potential to move up the pecking order, home grown too which would help with any potential European registration.

Romain Perraud- a potential left back option here, scored a cracker against us not to long ago, has had a few laspes in concentration which have led to goals but with the correct coaching there's a player there.

Few others to briefly mention Bazunu has a lot of potential and was one we looked at before going for Pope would doubt he'd want to leave as he'd lose his 1st team spot which I think he needs to help his career. Caleta-Car the big Croat is another who I feel could improve with the right coaching.

Other potentials Romeo Lavia and Carlos Alcarez would fit right in to our midfield.

Anyone else from the Saints you'd be interested in?
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:51 am

Leicester

First off i think James Maddison will be on our shopping list regardless if Leicester survive or not, he's exactly the type of player we need

Harvey Barnes-is he an upgrade on Murphy... Yes.... I think he'd be next on the list after Maddison in terms of if we could go for one player.
Capable on both sides and a goal threat.

Tielemans - I think if he wasn't being overly asking on wages he'd probably already have something in place with a top 6 team, he may already and is simply keeping quiet.

Wout Faes- would imagine he'd have some sort of release clause, I'll also add while he's probably had a bit of a baptism of fire at times this season, he's got good potential and I think Howe could mould him into the Schar replacement we need.

Outside of those there's not many more who I think could improve us Ihenacho as potential backup, same as Daka but again we could perhaps be looking for someone a bit more zazz
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Bournemouth

Quick and easy here bar perhaps Illya Zabarnyi (young Ukrainian centre back) and perhaps Phillip Billing there isn't much pickings from Bournemouth.

Lloyd Kelly was one which I believe Howe liked from his time there and he rates highly but again does he really improve us?
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Forest

There are some individual players in this team who I think would suit us, Shelvey and Woo....(I joke)

Brennan Johnson would be a player who I think would suit Howe's style and he's been impressive for them.

Danilo was highly thought off and it was a surprise he went to Forest, (might have a nice release fee in there) would 100% suit that number 6 role if we wanted to push Bruno more forward.

Is there anyone else I don't think so
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:52 am

Everton

Interestingly there's two players at Everton who I believe I had on the list of players from relegated Burnley last season, Tarkowski and McNeill, would I take either now??? I'm not sure, Tarkowski would probably be an upgrade on Lascelles but at 30 I don't think he fits our vision. McNeill was again one I would have taken but I don't think he offers anything different especially since we got Gordon in.

I've always rated Ben Godfrey though he's struggled with injuries with the right coaching he could be a player, Amadou Onana would be another who I think would be very useful but he'll have a few suitors I'd say. I've always liked Mykolenko and again I think he'd flourish under Howe.
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:52 am

West Ham

If I could pick one it would be Jarrod Bowen he's by far their best player on his day, he'd be a upgrade on what we currently have.

Declan Rice though I think he's more likely to stay in London with either a Chelsea or Arsenal perhaps.

Lucas Paqueta???? Bruno would love his mate, I think he started slow with West Ham but you can start to see glimpses of brilliance from him.

Zouma maybe???
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:34 am

Would not touch Armstrong with a barge pole. It’s quite clear that he’s a championship level player, and even as a 3rd choice striker / attacker we could do massively better.

I’d take JWP for the right price, tho wouldn’t go much further north of £30m even in todays market. Don’t know enough about the left back, Lavia seems to have a lot of potential but also a lot of suitors.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:39 am

Lavia <ok>
JWP <erk>

NoteToSelf
Wood's Touch

Post by NoteToSelf » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:52 am

Two reasons I'd consider Armstrong:

1, I think it's likely that Wilson will be sold in the Summer or next January.

Not because he's not good enough, but at 31, with one year left on his contract and Isak in line to take over, I don't see the club offering a significant contract extension it seems the best time to cash in.

2, If Newcastle qualify for CL, you need at least 4 (or forfeit as many slots in selection).
Under 21s don't need to be registered, so Elliott Anderson is clear if Newcastle qualify this season.

Beyond that at the club I count Sean Longstaff...Matty Longstaff, Gillespie & Dummett?
I feel like Armstrong would provide more of a valuable option than Gillespie while filling a HG at Club slot (which frankly is a small pool to pick from).

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:53 am

Tsi wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:39 am
Lavia <ok>
JWP <erk>
This! Overrated and overpriced cos he's English and can take a free kick, his all round game is no improvement on what we have in CM. Lavia is a young DM and precisely what we need.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:56 am

Don't think we'll sell Wilson, we already need a striker in the summer, so no sense in making that two. Especially swapping a player proven for us for someone unproven

Do wonder if Howe could get more of a tune out of Armstrong though, would be nice to get another local lad in the squad! Plus he can play across a front 3

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:56 am

Beatski wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:56 am
Don't think we'll sell Wilson, we already need a striker in the summer, so no sense in making that two. Especially swapping a player proven for us for someone unproven

Do wonder if Howe could get more of a tune out of Armstrong though, would be nice to get another local lad in the squad! Plus he can play across a front 3
Yeah I’d be very surprised if Wilson leaves in summer.

Armstrong (even potentially with good coaching) nowhere near good enough imo. Even in a weakened team for a cup i’d want a better option. If he wasn’t local then none of our fans would be in the least bit interested.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:06 pm

Southampton - James Ward-Prowse I'll take as he'll be a upgrade on Longstaff/Jonjo in terms of all-round game (passing, vision, creativity energy) plus the obvious set-piece/penalty taking ability he has. Wouldn't pay any higher than 30 mil though as he's getting closer to his 30s now. Preferred midfield option would be Lavia who's a young DM (only 19) with massive potential to be a top, top player.. already looks comfortable at Premier League level and has all the attributes to be elite in terms of pressing, energy, tenacity, passing, breaking up play tackling/intercepting, mobile and footballing IQ. In defence I wouldn't mind Kyle Walker Pieters as back-up competition for Trippier or replacement for Kraft/Manquillo. Solid all-rounded full-back with good pace. Same with Perraud who looks to have a wicked left-foot on him and with the right coaching could be a top LB too.

Up front is Che Adams counted as home-grown (scottish) ?? Would rather him than Armstrong tbh as his all-round game (under Howe) could expand and be taken to a next level as he has the attributes of a powerful & pacey forward but is inconsistent and needs to be more clinical. He's never hit double figures in a Prem season (Adams) but under us that could change. Not too keen on Armstrong I don't think he's good enough for the level we're striving for even as back-up we could do better.

Other mentions include Banzunu, Alvarez, Caleta-Car, Liveranmiento, Salisu and Tella (who's on loan at Burnley but looks quality).

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:16 pm

Che Adams is Chris wood at best imo and pretty average. Livramento (if he’s over his long injury problems) has a lot of potential, but he may be a crock.

Don’t know much about the others but I think we’ll be targeting more proven quality in summer rather than some of those, Salisu looks incredibly erratic whenever I’ve seen him play.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:12 pm

Please stop saying JWP is an improvement on what we have <fist>

SpoilerShow
HE REALLY ISN'T
Willock, Longstaff, Big Joe, Bruno, Anderson already here add Maddison and a DM then it's a case of why waste money on a player that what he brings to the table (deadball play) is offset by his all round play being bang average.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:26 pm

I can see an argument for JWP if no big clubs want him and he's relatively cheap. He's had a poor season and I think he's a bit over hyped. But his work rate would chime with Howe, I can imagine him slotting in and doing a job. Certainly more creative /likely to score than Longstaff.
That said for 30m,hell no
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:49 pm

Leicester thoughts updated*

On Jwp I'll say yes he'll be over priced due to the English tax but I think he's a good player who gives us another option definitely as Sanchino says an upgrade on Shelvey and Longstaff(though I think Howe has done a great job with him)

I'll also add Gillespie isn't club grown at the moment the only players we have not U21 are the two Longstaffs and Dummett
I'll Hazard a guess

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:02 pm

Has to be Maddison
Ndidi looked like a good player but I've not seen Leicester enough to know if he's had a good season
I'd pass on Tielemans if the reports on his huge wage demands are true

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:20 pm

Tsi wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:02 pm
Has to be Maddison
Ndidi looked like a good player but I've not seen Leicester enough to know if he's had a good season
I'd pass on Tielemans if the reports on his huge wage demands are true
Ndidi is a name I considered but I don't think he's much better than what we have in terms of midfielders could potentially be a player to play at 6 with Bruno pushing forward to 8
I'll Hazard a guess