Hate Crime and Banter _ I need your help

BCU
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Hate Crime and Banter _ I need your help

Post by BCU » Mon May 15, 2023 8:18 am

Dear Toon fans,

I’m a Wolves fan – coming in peace and hoping you can help me out…

I’m a Senior Lecturer at Birmingham City University, writing academic papers as part of my PhD portfolio (Koln University). My research has a focus on the language used by football fans at games – for some people it’s ‘banter’ and for others, it has become a ‘hate crime’. It is a complex, emotive issue.

I want to find out what you think of the language used – I want you to be honest.

The questionnaire is entirely voluntary and completely anonymous. I will only use the data I obtain for academic papers and once complete I will share the data with you on this forum. I have ethical approval granted from Koln University and approval from your administrator for this forum. I need 100+ replies from the Toon Army...

I will be comparing your answers with those from supporters of Arsenal, Wolves, Blackburn and Watford.

The questionnaire should only take you a couple of minutes and I would like to thank you in advance. Here is the link:

https://questionpro.com/t/AX3LcZyJou

One last thing – we should definitely have had a penalty up at your place, shouldn’t we?

Kind regards,

Peter Evans
PHD Candidate
Koln University

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Re: Hate Crime and Banter _ I need your help

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon May 15, 2023 1:22 pm

Hi, approved. Had a look at the survey and its only really applicable if you go to alot of home matches. Many of us are remote so go away/ a few at home. So not sure will be much use.

Also, how does one become a senior lecturer at one uni whilst a PhD candidate at another?
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon May 15, 2023 1:44 pm

I've completed it, I thought the two questions relating to specific incidents were difficult though, it's not for me to decide the law so to say "they should be prosecuted" isn't really my call.

BCU
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by BCU » Mon May 15, 2023 1:51 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:22 pm
Also, how does one become a senior lecturer at one uni whilst a PhD candidate at another?
Thank you.

You do not need to be a Doctor to be a Senior Lecturer (or for that matter a Dean). You can also choose to do your PhD at whatever institution you like (I chose the University where I did my Masters).

BCU
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by BCU » Mon May 15, 2023 1:55 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:44 pm
I've completed it, I thought the two questions relating to specific incidents were difficult though, it's not for me to decide the law so to say "they should be prosecuted" isn't really my call.
Thank you, much appreciated.

Timshorts 2
Portugal (Man baby)
Portugal (Man baby)

Post by Timshorts 2 » Tue May 16, 2023 9:19 pm

Yeah, did it, but it's not that great unless you can explain your answers.
The qualification one I could not answer as none of the choices applied to me.
There is also imo a big difference in aiming the sort of comment referred to at Brighton fans and aiming it at Chelsea fans. In one case, it relates to a club from a city with the highest proportion of gay men than any other in the uk - although Manchester might object to that. If those songs are aimed at Brighton fans, then they are nearing 100% intended to be homophobic.
I don't get the Chelsea reference to rent boys. What is the connection there? After that issue on the tube train in France, racist bigots, maybe, but would they have more gay fans than average? Why would gay football fans be attracted to a right wing club more than to, say, arsenal, Brentford, Qpr.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue May 16, 2023 9:58 pm

Timshorts 2
Portugal (Man baby)
Portugal (Man baby)

Post by Timshorts 2 » Wed May 17, 2023 6:41 am

Thanks. That makes the chants seem a bit pathetic as well as being homophobic.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 17, 2023 8:47 am

Done <ok>

In my experience of going to matches, regardless of stadium/geography (I've been to 29/92 Football League Grounds so far) it's far more common to hear racist comments than it is to hear homophobic comments.

The exception being is if a player goes down softly feigning injury, it's not uncommon to hear someone should something along the lines of 'get up you f***ing p**f'.

It's something that we all want to eradicate from sport (and society), but it's so hard to do. Does the student on minimum wage working as a steward really want to confront a grown man and risk confrontation? Probably not. There's more than enough money in the PL at least to have professional security staff who could step-in and take stronger action on a regular basis perhaps.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

BCU
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by BCU » Thu May 18, 2023 10:48 am

Thank you for all those who have completed the questionnaire so far - it is very much appreciated. I'm also reading your forum comments, again with interest. Please keep the replies coming...