Over 11.5 months
44%
Under 11.5 months
56%

Total votes: 18

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Re: Sandro Tonali Deal Confirmed? You bet!

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:52 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:51 am
lassassinblanc wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:42 am

Difference between him at Fagioli though is Tonali bet on his own team and on games he played in.

Win, lose or draw his actions on the pitch influence the active market for that game and later games.

It's why betting on your own team is banned exclusively under the rules.

Which he broke, I think he'll get more than Fagioli for this reason
It's not exclusive though, all match betting is banned. Backing your team to win is nowhere near the level of backing them to lose. The ultimate aim for a football player is to win so how does having a bet on winning influence the the game any differently than not having a bet the player isnt doing anything different to what he would normally do on the pitch.
If you bet on something regardless of the outcome, you are influencing the odds of that bet and further betting odds.

For example if I bet Newcastle to beat Palace for example.

It could change the odds for someone else making the same bet or the odds on Newcastle v Wolves or Palace v spurs for example.

That's why the rules are that you can't bet on things you have an influence in .

I'll add this is the same for players and staff BTW.
I'll Hazard a guess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:26 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:43 pm
To be fair it's classed as an addiction for a reason. There isn't a rational behind it, wouldn't just tell an alcoholic just don't drink or a drug addict to just stop shooting up. It's not as simple as that. I think he needs a punishment/consequence, but it has to be balanced and fair for the circumstances.
I can appreciate the terrors of addiction while still wanting an alcoholic locked up if they kill while drunk driving. I won't pretend to know how or if his gambling addiction specifically impacted him gambling on Milan vs. matches he wasn't involved in, and I recognize that every player's gambling charges and circumstances will vary, but this is one of the cardinal, longstanding rules of professional athletics, even if sports betting has seemingly wrapped its grubby, thieving hands around every part of life.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:11 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:43 pm
To be fair it's classed as an addiction for a reason. There isn't a rational behind it, wouldn't just tell an alcoholic just don't drink or a drug addict to just stop shooting up. It's not as simple as that. I think he needs a punishment/consequence, but it has to be balanced and fair for the circumstances.
He needs the book thrown at him. Pulling the addiction card while betting on your own clubs games will not wash. Give them the proper support by all means but the bans given out need to be lengthy.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:21 am

He should and will be punished, but the idea of the "addiction card" is ridiculously harsh. Thankfully it seems the players and the club are supporting him more than some fans.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:45 am

Colly wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:21 am
He should and will be punished, but the idea of the "addiction card" is ridiculously harsh. Thankfully it seems the players and the club are supporting him more than some fans.
Maybe it is harsh, gambling addiction is probably one of if not the worst addiction out there but to say you're an addict after the fact, and it happens a lot when players are caught gambling is always going to seem dodgy.

Maybe the league needs to implement some sort of gamblers anonymous, allowing players to come out with their gambling problems and get treatment without fear of punishment.

Given the leagues own addiction to betting sponsorships though it seems unlikely

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:07 pm

Verdict expected today or tomorrow for this.

I'd say minimum he'll be out for the rest of the season

Worst case 3 years
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:46 am

Going by reports from Italy it will be 10 months
I'll Hazard a guess

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:08 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:46 am
Braced myself for a year. Assuming he's allowed to train at some stage during that he'll be back for early next season. Not horrendous all things considered.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:37 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:46 am
How come it's more for Sandro?
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:40 pm

More than Fagioli, or Toney? We haven't heard details yet, but it'll be down to what he's bet on and how many times. The early rumours were he'd bet on games he was involved in.

NoteToSelf
Wood's Touch

Post by NoteToSelf » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:52 pm

He's admitted to betting on games he was involved in (for his team to win). That makes it more serious than Toney (who bet for/against his team in matches where he was not selected).

Fagioli approached the authorities before being brought in for questioning; Tonali confessed and cooperated when approached, so more serious than Fagioli.

Pending full details, 10-11 months is probably in line with precedent.

Zaniolo if found guilty could see longer as he has denied the charges.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:19 pm

You'd presume that after an initial exclusion period that he'd be allowed to train with the team after the first half of the ban or something, so if it was 10 months he'd be back in contention very early next season.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:29 am

10 month ban confirmed on Sky Sports

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:11 pm

Chappy wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:29 am
10 month ban confirmed on Sky Sports
He looked good last night when he came on <laugh>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:25 pm

At least it was entirely as expected! Even if he'd got 7 months he'd have missed the rest of this season anyway.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:43 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:25 pm
At least it was entirely as expected! Even if he'd got 7 months he'd have missed the rest of this season anyway.
Doesn't the end of the season depend on how many replays Liverpool get?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:39 pm

I wonder if in light of this ban we might see Lewis Hall have a run out in the middle? Apparently that's his preferred position before being slotted in atlb due to Chelsea's injury problems.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:05 am

Nothing through yet so he could play tomorrow. With our current injury issues that could be a massive bonus, give Willock an extra game to get up to speed and maybe play him against Man Utd in the cup.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:26 am

Colly wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:05 am
Nothing through yet so he could play tomorrow. With our current injury issues that could be a massive bonus, give Willock an extra game to get up to speed and maybe play him against Man Utd in the cup.
Yeah that would be a big boost - fingers crossed!

Also on a separate note... I'm starting to get bored of all the "what about Toney?" bollocks circulating surrounding Sandro's ban.

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:10 am

Colly wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:40 pm
More than Fagioli, or Toney? We haven't heard details yet, but it'll be down to what he's bet on and how many times. The early rumours were he'd bet on games he was involved in.
As this whole Tonali betting scandal has unfurled and continues today I was just looking at Italian football in general and it’s clear that corruption is rife within the game, has been for decades. Match fixing, betting , bribery ….. it goes on. One thing that has not been mentioned is coercion, pressure being put on players to bet. I’m certain coercion has a place in all of this but unlikely ever to be brought forward. I’m not saying directly that Tonali has been forced to bet, though without doubt that threat is always there. His advisors have played the addict card , he has a compulsive problem, he has plea bargained. What the reality is we will never know. Genuinely feel for the guy on a football level, his emotional and mental health will need careful managing.

More widely in football generally I’d be prepared to suggest ( not bet ) that there are players in every team throughout the UK footballing pyramid who bet. They will put bets on via their mates, it’s undeniable and no rules about no betting is going to stop this.

It’s a massive problem and contradiction football has made for itself in the relationship ( if you call it that ) with the betting industry
Clydeside & Tyneside