Over 11.5 months
44%
Under 11.5 months
56%

Total votes: 18

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Re: Sandro Tonali Deal Confirmed? You bet!

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:18 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:51 am
Daft lad like, shouldn't be betting at all imo, that said shouldn't actually backing your team to win be a lot less serious offence than the spot fixing over yellow cards etc which is more in line with match fixing. At the least it's not like you can do anything dodgy when you are essentially backing yourself.
You can influence odds which is technically falls within match fixing
I'll Hazard a guess

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:51 pm

<erk> Oh, this is getting way worse than I was hoping

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:56 pm

Why would his ban be so much longer than the other guys when he’s not denying it?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:13 pm

The poll <laugh>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:56 pm

Surely this is where the Saudis do some bribery? Or maybe because gambling is haram he's dead to them..
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:03 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:56 pm
Why would his ban be so much longer than the other guys when he’s not denying it?
Probably because he’s admitted to gambling on Milan games whereas the others accused haven’t. Laws in Italy don’t sound as stringent as here; can gamble on legal platforms just not on your own team, if I’ve understood correctly.

Such a setback for the player and club. I really hope he can get the help he needs. Don’t think he’ll be allowed to train with the team under the terms of ban so you’d imagine he’d return to Italy. He’s signed a 5 year deal but given the speed at which the club and squad are moving forward you have to question what it means for his future here.

Hasn’t been confirmed when his ban starts so could be available for Saturday. I wonder if the club would rather not have the distraction and keep him out the squad.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:34 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:55 am

Silly boy , think he'll be getting a lengthy ban....100% AC Milan knew what they were doing when selling him
If Milan knew something - which is entirely plausible- NUFC would need to prove this which is likely to be near impossible .

Unless Tonali comes out and spills the beans on that

All in all, the likelihood of Newcastle still having to pay the full £55m is high ( 75%+ imv)

That's a big blow for us Re FFP.

The Champions league qualification gained us a £100m

Tonali has kicked £50m Into touch

Mind you NUFC may look to make a statement that they won't be duped.

We are party to the investigation now - if it comes to light that either club , player or agent had a pre-warning that this was dropping - then the s*** will hit the fan.

We still owe them £40m+ I think 🤔
Last edited by Slim999 on Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:27 am

Slim999 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:34 am
lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:55 am

Silly boy , think he'll be getting a lengthy ban....100% AC Milan knew what they were doing when selling him
If Milan knew something - which is entirely plausible- NUFC would need to prove this which is likely to be near impossible .

All in all, the likelihood of Newcastle still having to pay the full £55m is high ( 90%+ imv)

Tonali has kicked £50m I to touch
Tbh depending on the length of the ban it would only amass to 11m a season in terms of FFP.

It's a bummer he'll be out but in sense it's similar to him just being injured, though insurance would kick in to cover x amount if that were the case. I don't believe you can claim insurance back if someone is banned
I'll Hazard a guess

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:30 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:27 am
Slim999 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:34 am

All in all, the likelihood of Newcastle still having to pay the full £55m is high ( 90%+ imv)

Tonali has kicked £50m I to touch
Tbh depending on the length of the ban it would only amass to 11m a season in terms of FFP.

It's a bummer he'll be out but in sense it's similar to him just being injured, though insurance would kick in to cover x amount if that were the case. I don't believe you can claim insurance back if someone is banned
It affects his value going forward

Plus his desire to be here ... Was he pushed out for a reason ? ( that likelihood seems high )

Will he ever be the same player ?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:23 pm

I struggle to believe that if AC Milan knew this was coming that we wouldn't have known about it. If you're breaking the club record for a new signing, you're doing a thorough investigation of the player and person. Given the financial situation at Milan in the summer, that they were willing to sell him for an Italian record doesn't necessarily tell me his sale was linked to this - they could be mutually exclusive.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:51 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:23 pm
I struggle to believe that if AC Milan knew this was coming that we wouldn't have known about it. If you're breaking the club record for a new signing, you're doing a thorough investigation of the player and person. Given the financial situation at Milan in the summer, that they were willing to sell him for an Italian record doesn't necessarily tell me his sale was linked to this - they could be mutually exclusive.
I doubt the club do any investigations into potential gambling breaches by transfer targets tbf. I'm sure there is a lot of due diligence on different aspects but betting breaches are so rare that I doubt much thought is given to it. And other than saying "have you been betting on football" there's not a lot more they can do.

There's probably some tickbox exercise where the selling club has to say "in good faith we are not aware of any circumstance where player X will be the subject to criminal investigations" or words to that effect.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Caer Newydd
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Caer Newydd » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:22 pm

Best ignore that logo on last season's shirt,
With the bookies its wise not to flirt,
As Sandro may find it isn't such fun,
Eighty-eight to one on, he'll get done,
And have to serve a lengthy ban,
For having a flutter on Milan,
Sadly he is not the first,
To fall into this whirlpool and be submersed.
Last edited by Caer Newydd on Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:38 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:51 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:23 pm
I doubt the club do any investigations into potential gambling breaches by transfer targets tbf. I'm sure there is a lot of due diligence on different aspects but betting breaches are so rare that I doubt much thought is given to it. And other than saying "have you been betting on football" there's not a lot more they can do.

There's probably some tickbox exercise where the selling club has to say "in good faith we are not aware of any circumstance where player X will be the subject to criminal investigations" or words to that effect.
I'm not suggesting there's an individual investigation completed on the theme of gambling, so much as if word of this Italian investigation was swirling around the industry and Milan were already aware this was coming, that it'd be hard to keep quiet from agents, scouts, etc. and it getting back to our club.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:48 pm

Caer Newydd wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:22 pm
Best ignore that logo on last season's shirt,
With the bookies its wise not to flirt,
As Sandro may find it isn't such fun,
Eighty-eight to one on, he'll get done,
And have to serve a lengthy ban,
For have a flutter on Milan,
Sadly he is not the first,
To fall into this whirlpool and be submersed.
As always, a pleasure <awe>

And there's an important point in the first two lines there. Obviously in Tonali's cause it's actually a crime which he has allegedly committed, in terms of using an unlicensed gambling platform. But there's definitely some hypocrites in football with the sheer amount of betting companies as main shirt sponsors across the leagues, especially in the top flight. Obviously laws are coming in to restrict that, but not until after tens of millions are made from it.

Mildly related to that, I read something earlier about a sky bet tweet being banned because it featured Gary Neville in it, and apparently that made gambling appealing to under 18's? I don't have the full information, but that seems really strange. Not saying it's right or wrong, just an odd thing to flag up considering everything else. When you have the likes of us until this season (we swapped the chinese gambling firm for the much more ethically reasonable saudi funded sponser group, Sela) Fulham, Brentford, West Ham having shirt sponsers from betting company.

I've no particular opinion on GNeville, but I hardly think he's more influential to under eighteens in this country, than the half or dozen or more teams that play at least nearly a dozen players with betting logos emblazoned across their shirts every single match day.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:25 am

I think people are really overstating the impact this will actually have, I imagine he will get the 7 months max. There are far too many other instances flying about right now that they can't make an example of him with this. Especially with the cooperation, if he's banned longer than Fagioli then immediately it gets very messy and goes to the courts, the ownership have shown they are more than willing to fight on legal front.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:42 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:25 am
I think people are really overstating the impact this will actually have, I imagine he will get the 7 months max. There are far too many other instances flying about right now that they can't make an example of him with this. Especially with the cooperation, if he's banned longer than Fagioli then immediately it gets very messy and goes to the courts, the ownership have shown they are more than willing to fight on legal front.
Difference between him at Fagioli though is Tonali bet on his own team and on games he played in.

Win, lose or draw his actions on the pitch influence the active market for that game and later games.

It's why betting on your own team is banned exclusively under the rules.

Which he broke, I think he'll get more than Fagioli for this reason
I'll Hazard a guess

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:51 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:42 am
Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:25 am
Difference between him at Fagioli though is Tonali bet on his own team and on games he played in.

Win, lose or draw his actions on the pitch influence the active market for that game and later games.

It's why betting on your own team is banned exclusively under the rules.

Which he broke, I think he'll get more than Fagioli for this reason
It's not exclusive though, all match betting is banned. Backing your team to win is nowhere near the level of backing them to lose. The ultimate aim for a football player is to win so how does having a bet on winning influence the the game any differently than not having a bet the player isnt doing anything different to what he would normally do on the pitch.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:21 pm

If your addiction is so bad that you're going anywhere near betting on matches you're participating in, regardless of the outcome you're picking, it's hard to trust your mindset and professionalism, I'm sorry. With everything else there is to gamble on, and the wages they're already making, there's no excuse for betting on football, full stop. If you need the thrill or stakes of your own match on your slip, you're in deep water.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:43 pm

To be fair it's classed as an addiction for a reason. There isn't a rational behind it, wouldn't just tell an alcoholic just don't drink or a drug addict to just stop shooting up. It's not as simple as that. I think he needs a punishment/consequence, but it has to be balanced and fair for the circumstances.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:50 pm

As it should have been for Toney before him, and I'm still stunned his punishment hasn't been reduced. The idea he's going to come back in January with "Hollywood Bets" on his shirt, walking onto a pitch surrounded by Skybet etc logos, should be an absolute embarrassment to the Premier League.