Re: Matchday thread - Toon v Blackburn Rovers

Post by UlversToon » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:48 pm

Phew! Rode our luck a bit tonight.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:48 pm

Was a slog but I quite enjoyed that. Should've done better but we started to shine more later in the game. Need work out how to finish though. Is Isak still carrying a knock?
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:01 pm

I feel for Isak, when those behind you either cut back and play the ball infield or cut back and send an aimless ball towards the back post. Every through ball or ones over the top are always over hit, i think Bruno isn't all he's made up to be in the final third btw, seems more the type who will assist the assister, way too many miss-hit passes that end attacks for my liking.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 am

Well that was woeful. Blackburn should have won it in the 90 were it not for Dubravka, and while their fans basically say its the best they've played all season it wasn't good enough from us.

Everyone is playing completely bereft of confidence, there's no link up between runs and passes (either the runs are coming and the ball isn't, or we're just hoping for the best with Schar long balls to static wingers) and the defence look terrified. It's not all about personnel, and while some of the long term injuries need to get up to speed the likes of Harvey Barnes had utter stinkers. His penalty basically summed up his game.

Positive is that at least we're in the draw, but we need to rebuild something quickly (and hope for a reasonable next round) to salvage the season.

I'm very tired.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:06 am

Agree that we were poor, but not sure I agree that Blackburn should have won it in normal time. They were the better side, but I think we had more clear-cut chances (not sure what the xG was in 90 minutes) and could have undeservedly won in 90 minutes.

I know the whole team has been poor, but I'm questioning whether Schar should be starting next season. He's looked poor defensively for a while, Botman has too but he has the saving grace that he's returning from injury. Perhaps a starting centre back is another priority for next season.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:22 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:06 am
Agree that we were poor, but not sure I agree that Blackburn should have won it in normal time. They were the better side, but I think we had more clear-cut chances (not sure what the xG was in 90 minutes) and could have undeservedly won in 90 minutes.

I know the whole team has been poor, but I'm questioning whether Schar should be starting next season. He's looked poor defensively for a while, Botman has too but he has the saving grace that he's returning from injury. Perhaps a starting centre back is another priority for next season.
XG

1st Half
Blackburn: 0.21
Us: 0.08

2nd Half
Blackburn: 0.54
Us: 1.70

Extra Time
Blackburn: 0.51
Us: 1.86

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:49 am

originallad wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:22 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:06 am

XG

1st Half
Blackburn: 0.21
Us: 0.08

2nd Half
Blackburn: 0.54
Us: 1.70

Extra Time
Blackburn: 0.51
Us: 1.86
Highlights how abysmal our finishing was then!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?