Matchday thread - Toon v Citeh

NoteToSelf
Wood's Touch

Re: Matchday thread - Toon v Citeh

Post by NoteToSelf » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:09 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:19 pm
I still feel like we missed a trick not trying to attract some more proven talent in the summer before CL, and instead now we'll be trying to negotiate off the back of an underwhelming season.
Thinking of some of the alleged first choices that slipped by - Diaby, Szoboszlai, Maddison, MacAllister, it could have been some squad.
Of the players brought in, when they've been able to play they've largely demonstrated a step up.

I'm still broadly optimistic for the future.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:35 pm

ALF wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:27 pm
Colly wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:26 pm

I think that's fair, but you were suggesting he was getting beat on 1:1s, when both goals have seen him face two men. Our big issue (as usual) is communication and anticipation, when we have the ball we're making wrong decisions and without we're just not getting it back. That break from Doku a bit before the first goal came entirely from Longstaff not reading a recovery chest from Botman, probably because he's off his face on painkillers.

Willock having a stinker at both ends sadly.
Not sure you can blame that on Longstaff. I thought it was Schar but it might have been Botman, but they ran onto the ball as if they were going to bring it down so Longstaff started to make the run forward. It was then chested into a nothing space and the CB just moved away from it.
That's pretty much my point though, if you're playing a team like City you have to be able to anticipate and make the right decisions. It was a hoofed ball and whichever CB it was had a right job to chest it down under control, once it was loose it's an easy get for Longstaff if he's on his toes. As it is we've lost possession with central defense and midfield bypassed. Fine margins I guess, but that game was full of them.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:37 pm

NoteToSelf wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:09 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:19 pm
I still feel like we missed a trick not trying to attract some more proven talent in the summer before CL, and instead now we'll be trying to negotiate off the back of an underwhelming season.
Thinking of some of the alleged first choices that slipped by - Diaby, Szoboszlai, Maddison, MacAllister, it could have been some squad.
Of the players brought in, when they've been able to play they've largely demonstrated a step up.

I'm still broadly optimistic for the future.
Maddison never wanted to come here, that much was clear. Mac Allister wound never choose us over Liverpool so not losing any sleep over that, same could be said for Szoboslai - regardless of CL football.

Diaby had a good start at Villa but can’t get a start now.

We’ve been unfortunate with our big signings. Nobody could predict the Tonali situation, or Barnes missing so many games.

I’m still optimistic for a decent season next year with some squad development.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?