Have we, the fans, finally learned patience?

simonbh7
I Make Amazing Threads
I Make Amazing Threads

Have we, the fans, finally learned patience?

Post by simonbh7 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Please don't jump to the wrong conclusion because of the title. I am not talking about waiting so long for us to win a trophy. (for that, we are amongst the most loyal and patient of fans)

I am referring to the way that we have backed Pards and the team during this disappointing season. It is not so very long ago that if we spent most of the season hovering a few points above the relegation zone, we would have been calling for the manager's head and giving the players a hard time. But this year that hasn't been the case.

Even after the Reading game, although many of us were a bit concerned, there was no real panic or meltdown amongst the fans. Admittedly the way the club responded to the situation and the impact that the new signings made, nipped any disenchantment in the bud, but I get the impression that, because we can see what the club are trying to do, both on and off the field, the fans seem to be far more patient than in years gone by. This can only be a good thing because Pards and the team must know that we REALLY do back them, unlike our unhygenic neighbours who have spent most of the last few months slagging off 90% of their own players (Only Mignolet, Fletcher, and Rose seem to have escaped, and Rose is not even their player) and who, after crowing so loudly about having one of Britain's "Top" managers at the helm, now whinge that he is not up to the job!

I think that our season spent in the Championship probably helped to re-adjust our expectation levels, but many of us hoped for a top 10-8 finish this year and a good run in one of the cups. Although this could still be the case, most of this season has been disappointing, and fans could be forgiven for allowing themselves to show their frustration. But this hasn't really happened. Even when we have not played well there seems to be an air of optimism, a belief that we will get it right, and that we are moving in the right direction. Alan Pardew may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he certainly isn't the worst manager to have, and it will be interesting to see how he manages to take the club forward next year, in what will be one of the longest spells that he has had in charge of any club. He is in the process of building a very good, young squad. Now he has to show that he has the necessary management skills and tactical knowledge to get the best out of these players and get the team performing at the highest level that they are capable of.

We are now reaping the benefits of staying so patient with Pards and the team, and helping to maintain the positive atmoshere at the club. We have a big game on Thursday to look forward to and the team is still aiming for a 10th place finish in the league.

So as they say, patience really is a virtue.
No-one succeeds like a budgie with no beak!!

overseasTOON MD "He's not a brain surgeon. He's Paul Merson"

Beatski
Punderful
Punderful

Re: Have we, the fans, finally learned patience?

Post by Beatski » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:41 pm

"Anita isnt a PL standard midfielder, is better at RB and was a waste of money."

in other words, no.

The Rock Lobster
Is Shit
Is Shit

Post by The Rock Lobster » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:00 pm

Who said that about Anita? <mob>
" Samaras is a special player." - A. Iniesta

Galactico
Miggy's Smiles

Post by Galactico » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:07 pm

In regards to the form in this campaign...Most intelligent fans will realise that the injury problems we have had this season have hurt the team alot. However we all know it could have been avoided with some summer purchases. I think views would be different had we not spent in January either.
"Someone take this ugly bag of snakes and lay em out straight"

Beatski
Punderful
Punderful

Post by Beatski » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:13 pm

The Rock Lobster wrote:Who said that about Anita? <mob>
loads of people, he'd played under 5 games <disgrace>

Colback's Orange Tufts
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:17 pm

tl;dr <roll>
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:21 pm

In response to the OP, no.

Relegation maybe knocked us down a peg or two but our over-achievements last season seem to have erased the valuable lessons learned from that whole debacle.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:45 pm

I understand where you're coming from but I wouldn't say this season we've shown we've learnt patience after sticking with Pardew through our poor mid-season form. I was always pro-Pardew and knew overcome the blip but needed to spend in order to ensure it- plus we were aware of our injury list and how well Pardew had done last season.

I think the fans have learnt the importance of supporting your team even when times are tough, rather than calling for the managers head.

Cal
10 Champs Bronze
10 Champs Bronze

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Yes.
SpoilerShow
<roll>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote:In response to the OP, no.

Relegation maybe knocked us down a peg or two but our over-achievements last season seem to have erased the valuable lessons learned from that whole debacle.
Really? Most people just seem disappointed that we didn't build on last season's outcome. There hasn't been a sense of entitlement as far as I've noticed - although I suppose I'm only going on what I've seen online.

Beatski
Punderful
Punderful

Post by Beatski » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Cal wrote:Yes.
SpoilerShow
<roll>
<applause>

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:03 pm

skalpel wrote:
Aldridge Prior wrote:In response to the OP, no.

Really? Most people just seem disappointed that we didn't build on last season's outcome. There hasn't been a sense of entitlement as far as I've noticed - although I suppose I'm only going on what I've seen online.
ToonForum has a very mature and level-headed demographic, but you know this already. Until recently the NUFC hashtag on Twitter showed us that fair proportion of our fans are still rather fickle and have short memories.

tomtom94
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by tomtom94 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 pm

No, we should be in the top 4, Pardew out <mob>
History wrought with disease for so long, a nation sleeps tight... the poison carries on!

this space reserved for particularly amusing quotes and/or images.

With friends like these, who needs herpes?

overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:07 pm

I couldn't define it as patience but certain parts of our support, who in the past have called for managerial changes have been far less vociferous this season.

There were still the annual mutterings of discontent and allegations that the manager didn't know what he was doing but on the whole the support of the manager has been very good.

As for the players; the support has always been there for the majority of the squad all season with just the usual suspects lined up for some abuse such as Jonas, Simpson and Williamson.

Colback's Orange Tufts
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Aldridge Prior wrote: ToonForum has a very mature and level-headed demographic, but you know this already. Until recently the NUFC hashtag on Twitter showed us that fair proportion of our fans are still rather fickle and have short memories.
The people who are obsessed with shitting themselves are the mature football fans? <erk>

But yes, as in any club there are people who have no perspective, context or realism. I think fans now have more patience than before on average, but the issue is not solved.

One of our problems is that the press like to feed the stereotype about Geordies by portraying the idiots as representative of us all. i.e coming up on the train to do a report on a Tuesday afternoon, interviewing people outside the ground. The only people around at that time are people getting their Giro, skivers and kids. Meanwhile the sensible fans are at work saying more level headed things.
Last edited by Colback's Orange Tufts on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Joel's Goals

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:11 pm

outre-merTOON wrote:I couldn't define it as patience but certain parts of our support, who in the past have called for managerial changes have been far less vociferous this season.

There were still the annual mutterings of discontent and allegations that the manager didn't know what he was doing but on the whole the support of the manager has been very good.

As for the players; the support has always been there for the majority of the squad all season with just the usual suspects lined up for some abuse such as Jonas, Simpson and Williamson.
Exactly this. <gent>
There is no sin except stupidity.

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:19 pm

I gave up reading the OP just to skip to the responses so I'm guessing the answer's No.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

Blue & Maroon
Final Nail
Final Nail

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:21 pm

A lot of our fans have simmered down a bit but we still have more than our fair share of utter utter mongs.

MitroLand
Les Lions Domptables
Les Lions Domptables

Post by MitroLand » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:03 pm

Yup, definitely. I can't ever remember seeing a thread on here entitled "He has to go" (or something like that) in which the majority of people called for Pardew's head...! <doh> <disgrace>
"Coming from here is special to me. I can relate to the supporters because I was one of them and still am." - Alan Shearer

Holystone...
Grammer Police Chef
Grammer Police Chef

Post by Holystone... » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:08 pm

For one I don't think we have. Without the injury time Stoke win we would be very badly placed.
Ashley tells you it's raining. Do you look out the window?