Man Utd Fans' Thoughts on the Match

Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Man Utd Fans' Thoughts on the Match

Post by Yacob » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:42 pm

I went over to RedCafe to post the questions and as usual we got a good response. The questions were:
1 – Where do you think you’ll finish this season? What about Newcastle?
2 – Do you think that Moyes was treated unfairly given that LVG has spent over £100m on players and there is no real improvement in the quality of football?
3 – Is there any merits to the Rooney in midfield experiment?
4 – How far away are you from being able to challenge the likes of Chelsea for the title?
5 – If you could have one football player, past or present, live in your spare room who would it be and why?
6 – Who do you think will be the three clubs to get relegated? And who will make up the top four?
7 – If your club was a biscuit, what biscuit would it be? And why would it be that biscuit?
8 – Why do you think Di Maria and Falcao have struggled to adapt? Is it LVG's fault or is there another issue?
9 – Have Newcastle made a mistake by waiting until the summer to appoint a permanent manager?
10 – Scoreline prediction?
roonster09
ManUtd 4th (Hopefully) and Newcastle 10th.
2 – Do you think that Moyes was treated unfairly given that LVG has spent over £100m on players and there is no real improvement in the quality of football?
No. He was not. We have improved, not much but at least we haven't lost against every top 7 team like we did last season. Van Gaal spent money but he also lost most of the first team players. Still for the money spent we haven't seen superb performance but I'm more relaxed that Moyes not in charge anymore.
None. Weakening 2 positions with 1 decision. He is our best striker and should be played upfront in every game.
4 – How far away are you from being able to challenge the likes of Chelsea for the title?
Hopefully next season with 1 or 2 big signings this summer and a fully settled squad.
5 – If you could have one football player, past or present, live in your spare room who would it be and why?
None.
6 – Who do you think will be the three clubs to get relegated? And who will make up the top four?
Relegated: Leicester, Burnley and Villa.
Top 4: Chelsea, ManCity, Arsenal, ManUtd
7 – If your club was a biscuit, what biscuit would it be? And why would it be that biscuit?
8 – Why do you think Di Maria and Falcao have struggled to adapt? Is it LVG's fault or is there another issue?
I can't fault Van Gaal for Di Maria's problems, he is played as winger, CM and a forward but he has struggled in all positions. He is still adapting not only to the league but also to Van Gaal's slow build up play. Im sure he will be fine next season.

Falcao, I think injury has done him. He looks so slow he can't outpace any defender. Didn't even look sharp at all. It's to do with injury and his ago IMO.
9 – Have Newcastle made a mistake by waiting until the summer to appoint a permanent manager?
I don't think so. Europe is out of equation and no way you are getting relegated, so it's better to wait till summer and see who's available. Also one negative is if Newcastle appointed new manager then planning for next season could have started from this season but not sure who was available.
1-1. Away form is very poor, so can't see us winning this one at all. Maybe a draw or close defeat.
thedano
we'll finish in the top 4, 3rd hopefully. Newcastle will be midtable 10-12th.
No, there is a major difference between what we are doing now and then. Plus he had the opportunity to spend the money but just chased Fabregas instead.
yes but not yet, a few more years and he will be playing there.
next season we should be there or thereabout, I'd be disappointed if we are this far behind this time next year.
Diego Forlan, I have a thing for South American hair banded goal scorers. (See Falcao)
Villa, Leicester, QPR - Chelsea, Us, City, Arsenal
I don't think Falcao was wanted by LVG, but it also doesn't help that we don't play to his strengths, the quality into the box is just not good enough.
Di Maria's an odd one, I thought he would be great and for the first couple of games he had been, not sure he is settled and also not sure he'll be with us next season.
No, better to have someone you actually want as oppose to a poor choice (Tim Sherwood). I'd wait and see who is available at the end of the season.
2-1 Utd
oriole
Behind liverpool if we don' t improve ( like liverpool already has), Newcastle: 11th seems logical
No, Moyes spent 70 mil. as well. Apart from di maria lvg did not buy world class quality anyway,
Not with our strikers performing this badly, he should be all the way up front again where he once used to play
This is not even a formation year ( we need quality additions in defence, midfield and attack before we can start building a title challenging team ): in two seasons if LVG is allowed to stay
Solskjaer, he would help me finish the dishes
Not aston villa or sunderland so probably the current bottom ones: burnley, qpr and leicester ( too bad for ritchie... )
The new dinosaur cookie, it used to be a menacing dinosaur, now just round with a picture of one...
Falcao due to injuries and lack of feed. Also lvg might have damaged his confidence further by benching him too often, maybe he should have had more patience. Di maria started the season well enough, no clue actually why... He's definately not dead yet, maybe he'll find his Real form again as soon as the entire team recovers?
No: better options in summer, you should be careful to pick one that is willing to dedicate himself to Newcastle for a long run. The club should after all have the potential to be easily up there with the likes of Tottenham...
1-2 win United
bosnian_red
4th, Newcastle, somewhere between 9th and 13th which doesn't really matter where in those you finish.
No, he deserved to be sacked, it was woeful. The quality of football has improved, we were dreadful last year. It's still pretty s*** though, but we are in the top 4 and in the fa cup still so there's reasons to be optimistic. And the players believe in him which is key.
He does provide more passing range and energy, strength whike having the attacking qualities, but there's way more negatives then positives to it.
On paper, a defence that isn't crocked always and a winger like nani close to his best away... In real life though, probably a couple of years. We'll be top 3 next season, but I'm not sure if it'll be a proper title challenge.
No idea.
Qpr, Leicester, Villa
One of those bland and tasteless ones, it gets the job done if you're hungry but it's not very entertaining.
With falcao, the injuries have taken its toll and he's just not very good anymore. So many things lacking in his game, slow, weak, touch is off, poor movement... Just not the same.

With Di Maria, a combination of things. New league, new country, being moved around everywhere, off field issues maybe affecting him, not used to being the main man in the side and perhaps burdening him... He hasn't been awful by any means, he has good stats and still creates a decent amount of chances every game, it's just he can do so much more. His inconsistency is the main problem, it's one game good like against Burnley, then the next is just meh like against swansea, and then a stinker against Sunderland. His decision making is just way off and is clearly lacking confidence that he had at the start of the season.
They didn't really have anyone available right now though, unless they wanted Tim Sherwood which would've been a disaster of course.
2-0 United.
sunnydnl
We'll be battling it out for fourth with Liverpool, might just about edge them out. Ye'll finish somewhere around 11th.
Was Moyes treated unfairly? No. We had a massive amount of patience with Moyes, he just burned through it all in an astonishingly short space of time. Performances were poor, results were terrible and he had lost the faith of the players long before he was actually fired. There was no prospect of us improving under him and, for all that there were other contributory factors beyond his control, he still proved to be well out of his depth.
As for LVG, it's true that the money spent has yet to see an improvement in the quality of football. However, the bottom line is: we're still on course for a CL place, we still have a chance of winning a cup, we've cleared out a lot of deadwood players and the remaining players still seem to have faith in the manager. That would be enough for this season given we needed to recover from last year's meltdown. It's not ideal but it's not so bad that it actually makes Moyes look good either.
I can sort of see why LVG might want him in midfield (he brings a level of physicality and work rate our other CMs can't match) but the reality is that he's far better as a striker. Given that Falcao and RVP have been so poor this season it seems a waste to throw our best striker back into midfield.
Thing is, we're really talking about small margins of improvement making a big difference. I mean City are (allegedly) challenging Chelsea for the title this year yet they're only five points ahead of us. If we improved and bought the right players in the summer then we could probably make up that gap next year and be challengers. Of course, that isn't the same as saying we'd win it or even be favourites to. It's just not such a big leap to go from finishing fourth to finishing second.
Absolutely no idea.
Relegated: Leicester, Villa, QPR.
Top four: Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United.
Own brand digestive biscuit. Because meh.
There's no one reason really. It's a mix of injuries, a new league, an under-performing team around them and the manager not quite knowing how to get the most out of them. Plus Falcao may be past it anyway.
Depends on what your options were really, doesn't it? I mean if the alternative was to appoint someone like Sherwood then you were right to wait until the summer. Tough call to make from the outside but it will probably work out fine.
2-1. Hopefully to United.
OnlyTwoDaSilvas
I'm confident we'll pinch 4th. It'll be ugly, and fully dependent on Arsenal and Liverpools godawful early season form. Newcastle are currently 11th, and I think they'll stay there. I think all the teams below them are worse, and all the teams above them are better.
I backed him right until the end, but I don't think Moyes should have ever been appointed. I think it's unfair to compare Moyes and LvG now. The jobs they had are vastly different. Moyes took over Champions. Moyes had the benefit of not having to take over a side that had been mentally demoralised by David Moyes. LvG's task was a total repair job.
Our actual midfielders are getting plenty of rest
Not this season or next. Maybe the one after.
Juan Mata. I reckon he'd do most of the housework.
I think Villa will get out of the drop zone. I predict the 3 clubs that came up will go down. QPR will get sucked back in. Bobby bleedin' Zamora is their main striker now Austin is out for a bit. I think the top 4 will finish as it is now. Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United. Y'never know with Arsenal though. We're reaching the time of year where they normally fall to pieces.
Bourbon. Big reputation. Soft in the middle. One impact and it falls to pieces. If you open up a packet, a good few of them are broken.
Di Maria was excellent when he first arrived. Right up until he got injured. He returned from injury playing as a striker, which didn't suit him, and I don't really know what the issue is now. He doesn't like the weather, can't speak English and that attempted burglary probably didn't help. Falcao looks broken. When he runs, he looks uncomfortable and in pain. He grafts, but he's snatching at chances like Chelsea's Fernando Torres.
I don't think so. Mid-season, who is available? I think you're looking at scraps. In the summer, men of bigger reputations could be had. Managers tend to not leave jobs in the middle of the season unless they're sacked/forced out, so I think it's wise to wait it out. As much as I think Pardew is an ultimate boob, I think it may have been worth keeping him until the Summer. Newcastle could look a bit silly if Pardew's Palace finish above you.
1-2. I think we'll nick it. It will be a godawful spectacle.
Thread: http://www.redcafe.net/threads/question ... ns.401996/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: Man Utd Fans' Thoughts on the Match

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Disappointed in the number of no answers for the biscuit question.
2-1 Utd
1-2 win United
2-0 United.
2-1. Hopefully to United.
They think we're going to win. <diva>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:31 pm

I never understood why some of our fans get so shitty about people calling them 'United'. It makes perfect sense, they've got 2 big clubs in the City so one gets called City for short and the other United for short. Same as people saying Real and Atletico or Inter and AC.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:52 pm

It's fine in the context where the word "United" is unique to one of the sides in discussion. It's silly otherwise. The different camps seem to be split between fans from around Newcastle, who don't like it, and those elsewhere who've probably been used to associating the word "United" primarily with another side. We're a one club city, so it's not the main focus of our identity, but it's still a big part of it.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:56 pm

Cal wrote:It's fine in the context where the word "United" is unique to one of the sides in discussion. It's silly otherwise. The different camps seem to be split between fans from around Newcastle, who don't like it, and those elsewhere who've probably been used to associating the word "United" primarily with another side. We're a one club city, so it's not the main focus of our identity, but it's still a big part of it.
Where it's been used so often to split the Manchester sides, it's become a habit of the footballing world. The fact they're a huge club as well means they've earned the right to be called United. They're the biggest 'United' in world football.

LONDONTOON
where so bias
where so bias

Post by LONDONTOON » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:48 pm

Took the piss out of my mate who is a West Ham fan by calling Man United 'United'.

You should never refer to a club by 'united' if you're club has United in it's name.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:51 pm

LONDONTOON wrote:Took the piss out of my mate who is a West Ham fan by calling Man United 'United'.

You should never refer to a club by 'united' if you're club has United in it's name.
So why did you do it then?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:00 pm

Cal wrote:It's fine in the context where the word "United" is unique to one of the sides in discussion. It's silly otherwise. The different camps seem to be split between fans from around Newcastle, who don't like it, and those elsewhere who've probably been used to associating the word "United" primarily with another side. We're a one club city, so it's not the main focus of our identity, but it's still a big part of it.
This.

If it's the Manchester derby or something then fair enough refer to one team as United and the other as City. However when two sides called United are playing like they are tonight then it's idiotic to refer to one side as United.

It's sort of excusable when it's someone who has no connection to us or any other United who refers to Man Utd as United, you can put it down to them being ignorant. However for a Newcastle United fan to refer to Manchester United as United in the context of the game tonight is just wrong and there is no excuse for it.