sell
15%

Total votes: 20

Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Cheick Tiote - Keep or sell?

Post by Yacob » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:50 am

Cheick Tiote has been a character who has split opinion for a number of years due to his actions on and off the pitch. He was exceptional for his first two seasons at the club and his partnership with Cabaye was one of the main reasons we finished 5th in the 2011/12 campaign. However since then, he has been inconsistent, while last season he rarely played for a combination of reasons.

If Tiote can return to his best football, he could be the perfect midfielder for our midfield as he can dominate matches, break up play and give our fragile defence some much needed protection. However, he will need to move back to a more simple game and not try to take chances with the ball in our own half. He also needs to realise that he is an average passer of the ball at best, and needs to keep it simple and find the likes of Wijnaldum and Sissoko, rather than play any intricate long balls.

Our other options in the middle of the park are:

Jack Colback - Useful worker and can contribute going forwards, but he is not the best at winning the ball back. He could be perfect playing alongside Tiote, but if he is relied on to do the defensive portion in the midfield pairing, his discipline lets him down.

Vurnon Anita - Excellent passer of the ball, who will be an asset under McClaren, but again, he lacks the ability to do the dirty work and offers next to no protection.

Moussa Sissoko - He can win tackles and contribute defensively. His laziness and lack of a work ethic make him unreliable. If an attack breaks down, he rarely makes the effort to track back.

Georginio Wijnaldum - Needs to be used for his attacking quality and shouldn't be weighed down with defensive responsibility.

In short, I'd keep Tiote and get him back into the team, because he will give the defence protection and by God, we need somebody to do that.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Re: Cheick Tiote - Keep or sell?

Post by PTAO? » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:54 am

He's been inconsistent in a whole team of under performers. If he had been persistently s*** in a well performing team I'd say get rid, but I'm hoping that under McClaren he'll return to form

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:55 am

I would give a chance to anyone under the new management... Except Williamson... he is useless.

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:59 am

Keep. With Cabaye he was excellent, from memory, so with people around him who can distribute the onus is on him to just break up attacks. He needs a bit more discipline in his game still which is a bit disappointing but there's no doubting when he is on form he's probably one of the best players in the Premiership at disrupting the opposition.
I'm cycling 6 stages of the Tour de France in July 2018 to raise money for charity. If you'd like to sponsor me then please click the link in my user profile! Thank you!

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:06 pm

I wouldn't be sad to see him go as I haven't been impressed with anything he's done for three seasons now. I often think we play better without him; we certainly did last season anyway.
Kindly deeds done for free!

TommyToon
Big Joe's Hawaiian Shirt

Post by TommyToon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:14 pm

To counter what I just wrote, I'd prefer Abeid in the team instead of Tiote but seeing as that isn't looking likely then I'd keep him...
I'm cycling 6 stages of the Tour de France in July 2018 to raise money for charity. If you'd like to sponsor me then please click the link in my user profile! Thank you!

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:37 pm

Keep. If he can get back to form he's a beast
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Keep. He has proven that he is capable of playing well at this level. That he hasn't done so on a regular basis is another matter really.

Our squad is not deep enough that we can lose a player of his ability without replacement. So unless we line up a like for like player then we should not let him go.

The caveat to that is that every player has his price and if somebody offers silly money for him then sell him, but get somebody else in.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:55 pm

People always forget the 'Burn him' option in the polls.

Keep him. Keep him good.

Jaiston
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Jaiston » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:18 pm

Keep, when he's in form he is by far the best defensive midfielder for us. With a better midfield McClaren should have him playing basics, win the ball and pass it to a midfielder who is better on the ball etc.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Against Chelsea at home last season he did really well next to Colback in front of the back 4. Anita is a better footballer, but against decent sides it would be good to have Colback/Tiote.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:36 pm

Jaiston wrote:Keep, when he's in form he is by far the best defensive midfielder for us. With a better midfield McClaren should have him playing basics, win the ball and pass it to a midfielder who is better on the ball etc.
This. When playing as a midfield enforcer he is very good. It is when he tries to be too creative that he comes unstuck. If he sticks to what he is good at then he is very useful.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:00 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:Keep. He has proven that he is capable of playing well at this level. That he hasn't done so on a regular basis is another matter really.

Our squad is not deep enough that we can lose a player of his ability without replacement. So unless we line up a like for like player then we should not let him go.

The caveat to that is that every player has his price and if somebody offers silly money for him then sell him, but get somebody else in.
Agreed. And I think the time for us to receive silly money for him has passed.

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:19 pm

Keep. "Cheicky" could get back to his best under Schteve.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

Having a Good time
Lee Ryder? Pfft. Twitter is Mine.
Lee Ryder? Pfft. Twitter is Mine.

Post by Having a Good time » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Keep for games against top 6. But he needs to stop doing his turn on the edge of the box.
Games versus lower teams id prefer Anitas creativity
STv2 is now Sammy's First Touch

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:12 pm

I think we should be keeping pretty much everyone (except Willo) until McClaren has had a decent amount of time working with them.
January sales for the toon.