We've got a team of losers

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

We've got a team of losers

Post by Goat » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:45 pm

Literally speaking, but also metaphorically as well.

The more I think about our team, the more it seems that we have a team which has a deep rooted lack of fighting spirit and, to a degree, quality.

The mental side of the game is arguably the single greatest controlling factor on a player's performance. You can have all of the skill in the world, but you're s*** if you don't apply it. Just look at the countless smaller teams who have had surprise results against much better sides in the league and in cup runs. Simply wanting it more and turning the underdog status into a strength has a profound effect.

Perhaps we were foolish to think that a few good signings might turn things around. Even with the likes of Mbemba and Wijnaldum on board, we've still got a spine in the team which consists of players who crumbled last season and simply gave up.

Coloccini, Haidara, Colback, Anita, Sissoko, Cisse, Obertan, Gouffran. So on and so forth. They're all still here, and merely a few months ago, they were all part of a team which had gave up hope and repeatedly collapsed under pressure. A new manager and new players don't suddenly change the mindset and fighting spirit these players have.

The same problem applies to quality and ability as well. A big chunk of last season's team still plays and starts, and they're still completely disjointed and incapable of working together as a cohesive unit. The few new players gelling everyone together is a tough ask.

Perhaps some of the players we've got have played well in other teams as individuals, but we've inadvertently managed to bring together a squad which lacks any fighting spirit or ability to link up with each other well enough. The odds of achieving that are high, but we've managed it. We saw a lot of evidence of it last season and it's carried right on through to this season as well, like we never even had a summer break.

And then you have players like Colback, who just seems to be cursed as someone who is devoid of any ability to win and be successful. Played for Sunderland, almost got relegated. Hopped over to Newcastle, almost got relegated again. Some players seem to be just prone to it.

I don't think we'll ever get out of this rut until we re-work the entire squad and root out the rot. The players with loser mentalities who don't understand each others' games all need to go, and that's most of the squad. We probably won't achieve consistently good results again until most of the defence, midfield and strikers are brand new.

And as a side note, I no longer trust Carr one bit. He's helped to sign far more duds than successes now. Most of the decent players he's signed lately have been pretty obvious to anyone who watches European football, and almost all of the "hidden gems" have sucked.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: We've got a team of losers

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:50 pm

At this point somewhere comes the question... What's the point of Steve Black?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:08 pm

McClaren had a chance to really shake things up and change the direction of things by taking the captaincy away from Colo who has consistently showed for the last couple of years that he's a poor leader who doesn't deserve it. The fact that he retained the captaincy means the mindset of players here last season will remain the same.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Beatski
Punderful
Punderful

Post by Beatski » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:45 pm

the mod squad is sensational <fist>

oh wait, you're talking about the players...

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:58 am

The main sucker punch that came for me today was that I was quite confident that we'd see the changes that were so obviously needed. Basically when Pardew was in charge, if a player was in the worst form of his career, you could put your house on him starting the next match and I really thought McClaren was different. I really thought there would be no Cisse or Colback, maybe even Sissoko. I think that was the main disappointment outside of the result.
Don't hinder the Trinder

el héroe
Worst Santa Ever
Worst Santa Ever

Post by el héroe » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:16 am

Why bring Aarons on with 10 mins to go ??
FFS give the lad a chance to show his worth !! Drop Colback and Cisse they aint good enough now !!
'I WILL DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE'

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:21 am

Based on the last couple of games, I'd say this is what we need:
Krul

Janmaat - Mbemba - NEW CB - NEW LB

Wijnaldum - NEW CM

NEW RM-----------De Jong---------Aarons/NEW LM

Mitrovic/NEW ST
Then, we still need to bring in another CM for cover, possibly another two strikers, a new CB for cover and maybe even a new CAM if De Jong can't regain any sort of form. The whole squad just seems hopelessly unfit for purpose.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:27 am

We should also be actively looking to move on Haidara, Sissoko, Cisse, Colback, Colo and Tiote. I have a feeling players like Sissoko, Tiote and Cisse hold a lot of sway in the dressing room and that can't be good given their current attitudes. Haidara and Colback just aren't good enough. The whole squad needs ripped apart and replaced with players who actually want to be here and want to play.

El Marko
Miggy's Smiles

Post by El Marko » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:25 am

I agree with this. We have absolutely no passion and no leadership. How many times have you seen a Newcastle player lose his s*** at conceding a goal of a defensive error? ZERO. What we are seeing is a team Of 11 simply playing football and then going home and no doubt blaming the owner or manager for losing. We need players like Ashley Williams. Jamie Vardy, Mark noble. A couple of passionate players willing to fight to the death for a win.

The whole stepping stone transfer system needs to be stopped. Our club is a business operating at a great profit. And scraping 17th place will mean we turn another great profit again. That's all Ashley wants.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:54 am

The only player you could say cares at the minute is Janmaat. He's trying to do everything because nobody else is even bothering. I'd have been going mental in that dressing room if I was him yesterday.

Caer Newydd
Ritchie's Tips

Post by Caer Newydd » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:39 am

McClaren says his players lack belief,
In his latest media debrief,
I guess this is better than Carver crying,
That some players aren't trying,

Its a grim start to the season,
Lack of belief may a reason,
But he should not pretend,
That's all he needs to mend,

He has to accept,
That the defence is inept,
With so many holes,
They bound to leak goals,

The midfield are too often remiss,
They are, at best, hit or miss,
Not enough of the former,
Too many inconsistent performers,

And in the art of attacking,
That's where team are really lacking,
Couldn't hit the proverbial barn door,
Let alone add to the score,

The time for excuses has passed,
Some points need to be amassed,
With football that will excite,
And not another relegation fight.

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:11 am

Idiotism. The main problem then, the main problem now... despite "the new era" slogan. The first problem is Colo. He is s**** for a 4 years now, but they give him extension anyway... despite the fact that he is a captain and a heart of the most weakest defence in the PL for the past two seasons. Is it this hard to calculate 2+2? The second problem is Sissoko. This guy, in every opportunity speak about the CL, how he want to play there... and then McClaren speak about how he don't want to sell Sissoko, because he want to build the team around him. Probably "deserter" is a tough word for this case, but even so... To build a team around a deserter? And the third problem is Cisse. I've start to question him with the wonga fiasco. Just three players but they are on key positions. Heart of the defence, a guy around whom the team should be build, and the guy who should score a goals.

I firmly believe that, if they didn't keep them because of idiotism, they refuse to offload at least one of them, because they thought that this will show to the fans " theirdetermination" for keeping "the key players". And that's why there's a abyss between the club and the fans. I'm not sure how many fans thing about them as a key players, but hardly those fans are a lot...

I know that it's still a early days, but wathcing what West Ham and Leicester does... and Soton last year... I'll give more time for McClaren, but let say it that way, even the small glimpse of optimism are now gone.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:24 am

Caer Newydd wrote:McClaren says his players lack belief,
In his latest media debrief,
I guess this is better than Carver crying,
That some players aren't trying,

Its a grim start to the season,
Lack of belief may a reason,
But he should not pretend,
That's all he needs to mend,

He has to accept,
That the defence is inept,
With so many holes,
They bound to leak goals,

The midfield are too often remiss,
They are, at best, hit or miss,
Not enough of the former,
Too many inconsistent performers,

And in the art of attacking,
That's where team are really lacking,
Couldn't hit the proverbial barn door,
Let alone add to the score,

The time for excuses has passed,
Some points need to be amassed,
With football that will excite,
And not another relegation fight.

Didn't realise this was gangsta rap until this line.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:51 am

People take the piss, but we should have been in for the likes of Johnny Evans in summer. Very professional, used to winning, a lot of PL experience. If WBA could get him I'm sure we could have, he's looked solid since he signed for them. I'd rather have him over Colo.

I said the same thing at the time, some people tend to forget what we are now, a mid-table club (And that's being generous) who's first target is survival. Players like him would have done a good job for us. Of course he's not good enough to be playing every week for a CL club, but we're nowhere near that level. We should've bid for someone like Redmond rather than Thauvin too.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

toonboy984
Shelvey's Precious

Post by toonboy984 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:16 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:People take the piss, but we should have been in for the likes of Johnny Evans in summer. Very professional, used to winning, a lot of PL experience. If WBA could get him I'm sure we could have, he's looked solid since he signed for them. I'd rather have him over Colo.

I said the same thing at the time, some people tend to forget what we are now, a mid-table club (And that's being generous) who's first target is survival. Players like him would have done a good job for us. Of course he's not good enough to be playing every week for a CL club, but we're nowhere near that level. We should've bid for someone like Redmond rather than Thauvin too.
Spot on. Some people seem to think we're "too good" for those kind of players. Even when we signed Thauvin, the French media were a bit surprised at the fee we paid, saying he's not good enough for that kind of fee. We could have secured Nathan Redmond for less than the £12 million we paid. Players like Micah Richards, Jonny Evans, Nathan Redmond, Matt Ritchie are players we should have been targeting. Going abroad for unproven PL players started out as a way to get players on the cheap and hopefully turn them into big hits. Now we are forking out significant money on relatively unknown quantities.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:19 am

Goat wrote:The more I think about our team, the more it seems that we have a team which has a deep rooted lack of fighting spirit and, to a degree, quality.
This has definitely been the case for the last 6 derbies...
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:26 pm

toonboy984 wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:People take the piss, but we should have been in for the likes of Johnny Evans in summer. Very professional, used to winning, a lot of PL experience. If WBA could get him I'm sure we could have, he's looked solid since he signed for them. I'd rather have him over Colo.

Spot on. Some people seem to think we're "too good" for those kind of players. Even when we signed Thauvin, the French media were a bit surprised at the fee we paid, saying he's not good enough for that kind of fee. We could have secured Nathan Redmond for less than the £12 million we paid. Players like Micah Richards, Jonny Evans, Nathan Redmond, Matt Ritchie are players we should have been targeting. Going abroad for unproven PL players started out as a way to get players on the cheap and hopefully turn them into big hits. Now we are forking out significant money on relatively unknown quantities.
Didn't McClaren say when he arrived that he'd be looking to sign some English / British players or have I imagined that?

TJR
10 Champs Chump
10 Champs Chump

Post by TJR » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Chappy wrote:
Goat wrote:The more I think about our team, the more it seems that we have a team which has a deep rooted lack of fighting spirit and, to a degree, quality.
This has definitely been the case for the last 6 derbies...
Not surprising since we keep signing French players. The French aren't known for fighting spirit and are stereotyped as being cowards. The gutless, spineless cowards in our team like Sissoko are living up to the stereotype.

This Thauvin seems like a bit of a bellend as well. Shearers comments were spot on when he slated him at the weekend.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Colly » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:39 pm

I heard we're rubbish because our French players are spending too long cycling with onions round their necks instead of scoring goals or defending.

overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:44 pm

Colly wrote:I heard we're rubbish because our French players are spending too long cycling with onions round their necks instead of scoring goals or defending.
Also they've been asked to train on thier own because they don't use enough soap.