Newcastle Utd vs Sunderland - 20/03/16

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Newcastle Utd vs Sunderland - 20/03/16

Post by Cal » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Perhaps the most important Tyne-Wear derby of all-time takes place at St James' this Sunday; a relegation battle six-pointer between the sides in 18th and 19th as we enter the final stretch of the season.

Following an encouraging performance against league leaders Leicester days after taking over, Rafa Benítez will be hoping to take part in the recent trend of newly appointed managers getting a Tyne-Wear derby win in their second game. We've not been victorious in a derby since August 2011, and Sunderland have won the last six.

"I am sure that we can win this game and that will give the players belief going forward into the next games. Every game is different and a derby is a derby, so anything can happen. The players know this but they also know how important it is that we win.

"The main thing now is that they stick together. They are committed and working very hard to try and understand our ideas of what we want to do. They are trying their best and that is the main reason why I'm so positive."

- Rafa Benítez

Training has been stepped up as Rafa looks to instil some sense of tactical nous into the side, and the strikers have been singled out for a new training regimen with an increased focus on finishing, what a novel idea!

Our 28 goals scored in 29 games is abysmal - only the already adrift Aston Villa have scored fewer (22) - and is largely to blame for our paltry 24 points, putting us in 19th. Sunderland are a point and place above us with the same games played. Norwich are the gatekeepers of safety on 28 points, but we have two games in hand and they're up next. These back-to-back six-pointers will make or break us.

Team News
Chancel Mbemba and Papiss Cissé are back in training and contention, with the former expected to start. Rafa has said that Steven Taylor "will be okay". Siem de Jong and Andros Townsend returned from injuries to be subs on Monday. Fabricio Coloccini and Paul Dummett are out.

Card collector Colback, who faces his former side, is a booking away from a two game suspension.

Predicted Line-up
<elliot>
<janmaat> <taylor> <mbemba> <colback>
<anita> <shelvey>
<sissoko> <wijnaldum> <perez>
<mitrovic>
"We know [Mitrović] has the potential. Now we have to give him the confidence to make the difference. He can score goals but he’s not at the moment. I have watched him training and know he will score. We must give him confidence, movement and tips. Maybe he can improve his game."
- Rafa Benítez

It's hard to really make any predictions here, so I'm going with the same as last time, especially as it worked bar the finishing, but with Mbemba returning to beef up the defence. I wouldn't be surprised to see Siem de Jong or Andros Townsend thrown in.

Prediction
I'm going to do the whole optimism thing and believe that after a week in the job Rafa can coax a performance out of this team, with Mitrović bagging a brace and de Jong coming on as a sub to seal the win. 3-1.

We ran a poll on our build-up thread, so here's how ToonForum predict things will go:
Where to Watch / Listen
Tickets are, of course, sold out. The match is broadcast live on Sky Sports 1, with coverage starting at 12:30, although there's also the Manchester derby going on later in the day, so that'll steal some focus. Local radio commentary, as always, is on BBC Newcastle, with talkSPORT covering the game nationally.

(The previous build up thread can be found here - http://www.toonforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8293)

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Re: Preview: Newcastle Utd vs Sunderland - 20/03/16

Post by Duke » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:12 pm

1rd
I dunno

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:17 pm

Exited and sick at the same time. Really hoping we can snatch a win.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:56 pm

2-1 loss

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:09 pm

0-3 <grim>
Kindly deeds done for free!

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:17 pm

I think the Mags could well be down.
They would be 4 points behind both us and Norwich, with not enough games left to catch up. Maybe catch one, but to overtake both would be unlikely.
If we lose we still have a fair chance; they lose and they are Donald!

RTG logic.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:33 pm

My head says this must be our game. Odds must be in our favour given recent history and we have the better team. Heart is not so kind, I keep thinking back to recent performances where we should have won but s*** our kegs. Im not feeling confident at all. If the stars align and we do win I would caution anyone from celebrating too wildly - remember we have lost 6 in a row. We are most positively the s*** on the shoe of footballing in the North East of England right now

thedeludedfannymagnet2
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by thedeludedfannymagnet2 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:57 pm

I'm flapping, in a pub 50/50 mags/makems plus people who only turn out twice a season <grim> normally means a 2 pint drunken arguement but win or lose... on the booze!! <dotheameobi> 2 0 Newcastle <scratch>

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:09 pm

I'll wake up tomorrow absolutely bricking it, no doubt.

Although i cannot help but feel excited because this has become one of the biggest (if not the biggest) derbies of all time.

Winner takes it all! (well... they have a better chance of gaining some momentum and staying up anyway <roll>)

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:52 am

Anyone know if it's shown in the states? In Seattle on my jollies, so gonna try get a stream. If there's the odd chance at a pub (at half six in the morning) then brilliant <diva>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:32 am

MATCHDAY! C'MON!

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:25 am

Johnny from the block wrote:MATCHDAY! C'MON!
You're up early !
Really excited but shitting myself all at the same time !

Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:40 am

Toondes wrote:
Johnny from the block wrote:MATCHDAY! C'MON!
You're up early !
I'm a thousand miles away and two time zones in front you. So no that early <laugh>

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:54 am

Johnny from the block wrote:
Toondes wrote: You're up early !
I'm a thousand miles away and two time zones in front you. So no that early <laugh>
Where do you live ?

Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:02 am

Toondes wrote:
Johnny from the block wrote: I'm a thousand miles away and two time zones in front you. So no that early <laugh>
Where do you live ?
Bulgaria. On the coast of Black Sea. Cheers.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:21 am

I feel ill. Got that horrible feeling in my stomach like when you're mrs says 'we need to talk' (as a side note I won't be talking to the ignorant s*** today) or when the headteacher would call you into the office at school <erk>

Football is a cronut

LONDONTOON
where so bias
where so bias

Post by LONDONTOON » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:24 am

Can't watch the game but no excuses this time, if we loose we are done. Hopefully I'll check the results and we've thrashed them;giving us immense confidence into our remaining fixtures.

Viva La Toon

Holystone...
Grammer Police Chef
Grammer Police Chef

Post by Holystone... » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:31 am

If we score a couple of goals irrespective of the result, I will hope that we can crack on with our two games in hand with a smidgen of optimism. Goalless draw with unparalleled home advantage and we're down and sort out the mess next year. We've too many players who can't hack it in the EPL. All well and good in Belguim pro leagues and the like but buying them has led to this sorry couple of seasons. The disaster of telling Carr what profile of player to buy ( cheap, U26 with sell on potential) has backfired spectacularly. Then putting these untried punts together with plodders like Carver and Shteve was accident waiting to happen .
Rafa is right guy at wrong time. A fireman he isn't . Sunderland no better due to skinflint player acquisition . Maybe we both go down and at least next year we still have our derby days.
Today is massive but probably six games too late to make that much impact on our chances.
Ashley tells you it's raining. Do you look out the window?

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:52 am

Woke up feeling oddly optimistic - we have to win one eventually, right?

Come on the Toon!!

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:55 am

I have a feeling we'll lose today and still manage to stay up. Defoe with the only goal in a bore 1-0
Don't hinder the Trinder