Armstrong joins Bolton on loan until January

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Armstrong joins Bolton on loan until January

Post by MultipleJesuses » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 am

It's insane how much a player can grow between 20-25, especially strikers. Armstrong definitely wasn't ready for us this year but he shouldn't be anywhere near last chance saloon either. Would have at least liked to have seen him in a few friendlies before loaning him out.
Don't hinder the Trinder

Diego21
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Diego21 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:37 pm

He need to play and to grew up.

Sometimes, is better a player go on loan to a smaller club where he can play near to 30 matches in a season.

I liked so much Armstrong in youth football. Even, I could say that he isn't worse than Solanke. But I thinl his problem is that he is phisically the same player that he was with 17 years old. He need to get more weight because in the currently football is essential.

I suposse he have to fight with Le Fondre for a site in the FW and Bollton needs to hire another striker.
Sorry for my bad english, I am spanish!

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Diego21 wrote:He need to play and to grew up.

Sometimes, is better a player go on loan to a smaller club where he can play near to 30 matches in a season.

I liked so much Armstrong in youth football. Even, I could say that he isn't worse than Solanke. But I thinl his problem is that he is phisically the same player that he was with 17 years old. He need to get more weight because in the currently football is essential.

I suposse he have to fight with Le Fondre for a site in the FW and Bollton needs to hire another striker.
That Messi fella is only about 7 stone, he's done alright.

Diego21
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Diego21 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:58 pm

ALF wrote:

You can't compare... Messi is not striker, he doesn't fight with center backs for the possition. He always receive the ball in the center of the pitch and start to do magia.

You can't compare Messi with anybody in fact. Aarons is more or less the same weight and hight than Armstrong, but he is in the same situation than Messi. They are not CF.

You have to be a supergifted (as MIchael Owen) nowadays to didn't need use your body in terms of strong.
Sorry for my bad english, I am spanish!

Mag_Laad
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Mag_Laad » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Diego21 wrote:
ALF wrote:
You can't compare... Messi is not striker, he doesn't fight with center backs for the possition. He always receive the ball in the center of the pitch and start to do magia.

You can't compare Messi with anybody in fact. Aarons is more or less the same weight and hight than Armstrong, but he is in the same situation than Messi. They are not CF.

You have to be a supergifted (as MIchael Owen) nowadays to didn't need use your body in terms of strong.
Thing is Owen had pace which made up for the fact he was a midget, as soon the injuries took over and he lost his pace he wasn't the same player. Armstrong ain't that fast either, he's a lightweight dwarf with no pace I can't see him making it at us tbf, I'd love to be wrong though. Hopefully he kicks on this season, he's at a good club to step it up too!

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Yep, like Atlético de Madrid or Tottenham. Both losers. <awe>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Mag_Laad wrote:
Diego21 wrote:

Thing is Owen had pace which made up for the fact he was a midget, as soon the injuries took over and he lost his pace he wasn't the same player. Armstrong ain't that fast either, he's a lightweight dwarf with no pace I can't see him making it at us tbf, I'd love to be wrong though. Hopefully he kicks on this season, he's at a good club to step it up too!
Armstrong is lightning quick. Not sure where you get the idea he's slow from <scratch>

Mag_Laad
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Mag_Laad » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:22 am

ALF wrote:
Mag_Laad wrote: Thing is Owen had pace which made up for the fact he was a midget, as soon the injuries took over and he lost his pace he wasn't the same player. Armstrong ain't that fast either, he's a lightweight dwarf with no pace I can't see him making it at us tbf, I'd love to be wrong though. Hopefully he kicks on this season, he's at a good club to step it up too!
Armstrong is lightning quick. Not sure where you get the idea he's slow from <scratch>
Maybe went too far saying no pace, but he's got nowt on what Owen had speed wise before the injuries definitely not lightning. Same with Dwight Gayle, people think he's rapid but he's only quickish off the mark. Neither of them have anything on Atsu or Townsend when he was here when it comes to pace, both on different levels.

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:08 am

ALF wrote:
Mag_Laad wrote: Thing is Owen had pace which made up for the fact he was a midget, as soon the injuries took over and he lost his pace he wasn't the same player. Armstrong ain't that fast either, he's a lightweight dwarf with no pace I can't see him making it at us tbf, I'd love to be wrong though. Hopefully he kicks on this season, he's at a good club to step it up too!
If I remember correctly Aarons posted something on social media a few years ago about him and Armstrong setting a record (and equal) time for Newcastle's speed tests.
Don't hinder the Trinder

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:50 am

If you remember correctly Paul Dummett was the quickest...

I'm not convinced by Atsu's pace either to be honest, he's not exactly rapid.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:49 am

Presumably Yedlin is our quickest player?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:47 am

Colly wrote:If you remember correctly Paul Dummett was the quickest...

I remember that about Dummett as well. Top speed and acceleration are different things though (acceleration being more important in football IMO), Usain Bolt is always slowest off the line for instance.

Graw
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Graw » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Presumably Yedlin is our quickest player?
Easily him or maybe Murphy now having them both on the same side will be wicked pace but might make us a bit unbalanced as they will be up the pitch way before anyone else <laugh>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Beatski wrote:

I remember that about Dummett as well. Top speed and acceleration are different things though (acceleration being more important in football IMO), Usain Bolt is always slowest off the line for instance.
Dummett was top speed, remember seeing it happen because it was him and Martial(I think) chasing a ball and they set the exact same speeds.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm

So Dummett is the footballing equivalent of a Q-car <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:45 pm

No I meant the speed tests they do in pre-season. I do remember the Dummett stat. Which meant absolutely nothing because Sol Campbell was also top of that list a few years prior

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2009/08/23 ... ayers/amp/
Don't hinder the Trinder

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Scored on his debut tonight
# stolen from nufc.com :)

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Not good enough get rid

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Just to point out that 'he's just scored against Crewe's league cup side so he must be good' is just as daft as writing him off early. There is a balance to be had here...

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Nice to see him score on his first start though. Nice to hit the ground running.