Starting XI on Aug 13th

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Starting XI on Aug 13th

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:07 pm

I do get pissed off when athletes etc. get so much praise for making such sacrafices to do their job. Essentially they're doing what they love, and doing it by pure choice. What's more admirable is someone like a nurse working 12 hour shifts, home for a few hours sleep and then back into another 12 hour shift (and on bang average pay). Elite athletes don't really deserve any praise for the sacrafices they've supposedly made IMO. I'd love to be in their position.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:I do get pissed off when athletes etc. get so much praise for making such sacrafices to do their job. Essentially they're doing what they love, and doing it by pure choice. What's more admirable is someone like a nurse working 12 hour shifts, home for a few hours sleep and then back into another 12 hour shift (and on bang average pay). Elite athletes don't really deserve any praise for the sacrafices they've supposedly made IMO. I'd love to be in their position.
What if a footballer earned "bang-average" pay - would they be worthy of praise then?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:24 pm

Surely the point was that running for 90 minutes with a collapsed lung against other players who don't have collapsed lungs is a slight disadvantage, not that he's some kind of martyr...

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Colly wrote:Surely the point was that running for 90 minutes with a collapsed lung against other players who don't have collapsed lungs is a slight disadvantage, not that he's some kind of martyr...
My point was more general rather than having anything to do with De Jong.
Juliet Papa Golf wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:I do get pissed off when athletes etc. get so much praise for making such sacrafices to do their job. Essentially they're doing what they love, and doing it by pure choice. What's more admirable is someone like a nurse working 12 hour shifts, home for a few hours sleep and then back into another 12 hour shift (and on bang average pay). Elite athletes don't really deserve any praise for the sacrafices they've supposedly made IMO. I'd love to be in their position.
What if a footballer earned "bang-average" pay - would they be worthy of praise then?
Not really. Ultimately they've made the conscious choice to pursue a passion for sport as opposed to going down the normal work route. Which is perfectly fair enough of course, but it's a choice nonetheless to follow a leisure pursuit that they love.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Colly wrote:Surely the point was that running for 90 minutes with a collapsed lung against other players who don't have collapsed lungs is a slight disadvantage, not that he's some kind of martyr...
My point was more general rather than having anything to do with De Jong.
Juliet Papa Golf wrote:
Not really. Ultimately they've made the conscious choice to pursue a passion for sport as opposed to going down the normal work route. Which is perfectly fair enough of course, but it's a choice nonetheless to follow a leisure pursuit that they love.
Medical professionals and athletes may be unfair to compare when it comes to altruistic outcomes - agreed, but it's also not all fun and glory being an athlete. They have dedicated themselves to a craft requiring an absurd amount of discipline, and receive more criticism and public pressure than nearly any other job on earth. It may just be a game fans love, but too many fans treat it like life and death, and project that onto players. They shouldn't be martyrs, but it is very much a job, and although it's a great one, I think we as fans sometimes forget at that level it is more than just a game we love, and it'd take on a lot of other issues that we don't face as fans.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 am

Nurses do that for 3 days then have 4 days off.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:25 am

PTAO wrote:Nurses do that for 3 days then have 4 days off.
My wife works in the NHS and staffing levels are critical, that's far from the truth.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
PTAO wrote:Nurses do that for 3 days then have 4 days off.
My wife works in the NHS and staffing levels are critical, that's far from the truth.
They can do overtime for more, and then the pay is not so average.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:17 pm

<laugh> Lazy no good nurses <fist>

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Ist Game line up

Post by Slim999 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:34 pm

Anyone care to venture what Our 1st game line up might be (assuming no major additions before the).

Likely Options

Goalie: Darlow / Elliot

Defence: from: Dummet, LeJeune, Lascelles, Mbemba, Manquillo, Yedlin

Midfield: from Merino, Shelvey, Ritchie, Atsu, Perez, Diame,

Attack: Gayle / Mitrovic

Subs from: Woodman, Krul (is he back?) Colback, De Jong, Murphy, Gamez, Aarons (is he fit?)
Last edited by biggeordiedave on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Already a thread on this so moved post <ok>.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:54 pm

PTAO wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Let me guess...conservative voter?
Kindly deeds done for free!

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:02 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
PTAO wrote:
No <ok>

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:47 pm

PTAO wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:
No <ok>
Perhaps their policies are too nicey nicey for you <scratch>
Kindly deeds done for free!

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Re: Ist Game line up

Post by Sanchino » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Slim999 wrote:Anyone care to venture what Our 1st game line up might be (assuming no major additions before the).

Likely Options

Goalie: Darlow / Elliot

Defence: from: Dummet, LeJeune, Lascelles, Mbemba, Manquillo, Yedlin

Midfield: from Merino, Shelvey, Ritchie, Atsu, Perez, Diame,

Attack: Gayle / Mitrovic

Subs from: Woodman, Krul (is he back?) Colback, De Jong, Murphy, Gamez, Aarons (is he fit?)
You forgot to mention Hayden and Clark in there. But yeah that seems the most likely of options, maybe Murphy/De Jong as starters but it'll most probably be :

Elliot
Yedelin LeJeune Lascelles/Clark Dummet
Shelvey Hayden
Ritchie Perez/De Jong Murphy/Atsu
Gayle

Subs : Darlow/Woodman, Manquillo/Gamez, Merino, Colback/Diame, De Jong/Perez, Atsu/Murphy, Mitrovic

If the rumours of Andreas Samarais andd Batsuhyui are true then swap Samarais with Hayden and Batsu with Gayle. That would be a cracking XI

Ellliot/NEW GK
Yedellin LeJeune Lascells/Clark Dummet
Shelvey Samarais
Ritchie Perez/De Jong Murphy/Atsu
Batsuhyui

Subs : Darlow/Woodman, Manquillo/Gamez, Merino, Hayden, De Jong/Perez, Atsu/Murphy, Gayle.

Reserves : Mitrov/Colback/Diame/Aarons/etc

Strong Xi and strength in depth on bench. Would be awesome but sounds too good to be true but here's hoping because with that starting XI the potential is there to be comfortably in mid-table and maybe charge up towards top-half.. Europa League? <awe> well just a bit deluded but you never know we have a quality manager and if he can set us up to play a fast counter attacking style we'll be a problem for most most teams outside the top 6 so should be aiming for mid-table/top-half.

<diva> Positivity <diva>

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:54 pm

We're a CM away from a decent (good enough to keep us up) starting 11 and a reasonable back up for each position.

Starting 11:
Elliot
Yedlin Lejeune Clark Dummett
Merino Shelvey
Ritchie DeJong Murphy
Gayle
Backup 11:
Darlow
Gamez Mbemba Lascelles Manquillo
Hayden NewCM
Atsu Perez Aarons
Mitrovic

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Yeah I think a couple of decent players and we'll be ok.

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:32 pm

TJR wrote:We're a CM away from a decent (good enough to keep us up) starting 11 and a reasonable back up for each position.

Starting 11:
Elliot
Yedlin Lejeune Clark Dummett
Samarais Shelvey
Ritchie DeJong Murphy
Gayle
Backup 11:
Darlow
Gamez Mbemba Lascelles Manquillo
Hayden Merino
Atsu Perez Aarons
Mitrovic
<awe> <awe> <awe> If the rumors of Samarais are true then that would be a good solid starting XI with strength in depth. Deadwood like Colback, Hanley, Haidara, Lazar, Krul, Riviere and potentially Diame need to all get shifted aswell by the end of Aug.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:58 pm

I do kinda feel bad for Krul. I can believe his several years of injuries have potentially diminished his ability and that's what Rafa's seen. But he's been with the club a long time and could never be faulted for his effort or commitment. I'm not saying he should keep a spot because of that, but it's too bad this is how his time's coming to an end with us.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:03 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:I do kinda feel bad for Krul. I can believe his several years of injuries have potentially diminished his ability and that's what Rafa's seen. But he's been with the club a long time and could never be faulted for his effort or commitment. I'm not saying he should keep a spot because of that, but it's too bad this is how his time's coming to an end with us.
Palermo and Spurs away will live long in my memory.

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Current mood.

Mitro. <awe>