Quirks in English/British Football

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Quirks in English/British Football

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:02 pm

I was listening to a football podcast on the way to work (and at work, it's dead) and they were saying that there are a few peculiarities with English/British football. The two examples given were:

1) Bookings and suspensions related to domestic cup competitions being carried over to league matches e.g. Morata will be suspended for Chelsea's next PL match because of a yellow card he got in the League Cup win over Bournemouth whereas in other countries such as Italy if you get booked/suspended during a cup match then that only applies to future cup games.

2) Players on loan from one club to another in this country are not allowed to play against their parent club e.g. Zouma isn't allowed to play for Stoke against Chelsea. In other countries if a player is on loan from one club to another then they can play against their parent club.

In the cup game instance I'd say that we do it the 'wrong' way. Bookings from Cup games should only apply to cup matches as it's an entirely different competition, also managers might leave star players out of cup games if they're on 4 yellows as they won't want to lose them for the more important league match if they get a fifth caution. You might also get players getting cautioned on purpose in a league match if they know that their next match is a league cup game and that's when they'd serve a suspension.

The loan one is less clear cut. You could argue that the host club has paid for that player for a period of time so should be allowed to use them regardless of opposition. But then again there's an argument that the player might have a conflict of interests if allowed to play against his parent club. It's also a bit awkward when a loan player scores against their parent club (e.g. Lua-Lua against us before they changed the rule). Personally I'd say it's best that loan players can't play against their parent club as it's a bit of a tricky situation.

What do others think? And are there any other quirks in British football that we have which all the other major leagues don't? Surprising that UEFA or FIFA don't make sure there's standard practice on these things.
SpoilerShow
Yes, I'm very bored at work.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: Quirks in English/British Football

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Hasn't always been that way tho, with regards to the loan thing. Lualua was on loan, I think to Brighton? Scored the winner against us. He hurt us that day.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Not current but didn't we introduce 3 points for a win long before it was adopted in other foreign leagues and international competitions?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:28 pm

CIH wrote:Hasn't always been that way tho, with regards to the loan thing. Lualua was on loan, I think to Brighton? Scored the winner against us. He hurt us that day.
Yeah, he was on loan at Portsmouth and they changed the rule soon after I think.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
CIH wrote:Hasn't always been that way tho, with regards to the loan thing. Lualua was on loan, I think to Brighton? Scored the winner against us. He hurt us that day.
Yeah, he was on loan at Portsmouth and they changed the rule soon after I think.
Knew it was someone blue.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:22 pm

Portsmouth.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:37 pm

Luque wrote:
Portsmouth.
Terrible echo in here <roll>

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:45 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Luque wrote:
Portsmouth.
Terrible echo in here <roll>
echo in here?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:17 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Is it an official rule? Or is it just a clause that everyone puts in so they don't get Lua Lua'd?

Having a Good time
Lee Ryder? Pfft. Twitter is Mine.
Lee Ryder? Pfft. Twitter is Mine.

Post by Having a Good time » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:21 am

The amount of games played over the Xmas period.
STv2 is now Sammy's First Touch

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:24 am

ALF wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Is it an official rule? Or is it just a clause that everyone puts in so they don't get Lua Lua'd?
I think it's just a clause personally.