Is Shola Ameobi done?

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Is Shola Ameobi done?

Post by Goat » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Many have mentioned that Shola has often played through injuries and has damaged his mobility as a result. Others claim he's just plain lazy and s***.

However, one thing I've noticed is that his general ability seems to be getting worse and worse as each season passes, and that now, at the age of 30, he may have ran out of any limited ability he originally had.

His best season came in 05-06, when he scored 9 goals in 30 apps, which is almost 1 in 3. However, since then:

06-07: 3 goals in 12 apps
07-08: 0 goals in 6 apps
08-09: 4 goals in 22 apps
09-10: 10 goals in 18 apps (hooray! Oh wait it was the Championship)
10-11: 6 goals in 28 apps
11-12: 1 goal in 17 apps

This season seems by far and away his worst yet. His lethargic and lazy performances look worse than ever and represent only a single goal in 17 apps, and he's a bloody front-man striker!

Not only that, but even in the derby at the start of this season, a game he usually excels in, he looked lazy and failed to make any impact. It remains to be seen how he will fair on Sunday if he comes on, but if it's another poor show, then we can chalk this down as the worst season he's ever had at this club to date.

Do you think it's all caught up to him and it may be worth considering his retirement? If the trend continues, I dread to think how he will be in the 12-13 season at the age of 31.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Le Quiff
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Is Shola Ameobi done?

Post by Le Quiff » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:32 pm

I think he isn't good enough for our team, not even as back up anymore as Best is a better all rounder than him and we will have youngsters like Campbell coming through soon, his time is almost up for sure but I don't think he should retire, maybe go to a lower club like Stoke where his abilities would be out to good use...
It's not about money... It's about sending a message.

Hung,Drawn and Quartered
Hayden's Chin Tuft

Post by Hung,Drawn and Quartered » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:35 pm

biggest day this sunday where a shola hatrick will see him gain another 3 year contract <worried> <where'sthebloodytongueincheeksmiley>

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 pm

Some well made and good points.

Added this post to the Blog <ok>

Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:44 pm

He can still contribute from the bench with about 20 mins left, but that is all.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:46 pm

I think Lovenkrands should be ahead of Shola in getting game time for the rest of the season.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

krully
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by krully » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:47 pm

hes been done for a long time, but is like the club mascot at this point.

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:59 pm

I mean it's not as if he LOOKS like scoring when he comes on either. He just doesn't look like he'll ever get anywhere near it. Last time he played I don't think I can remember him registering a single shot on goal or even anywhere near the goal for that matter.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:34 pm

He should have retired after that quality goal against Spurs. Well, for all intents and purposes he has, as I don't recall him threatening to score since that day in October.

I was politely democratic in the thread I created about him earlier today, but truthfully, I think this reputation he's built up about playing well against Sunderland is pretty unfounded, considering he's only scored in 4 games against them over like 10 years. As if any other player but one who is as consistently toothless as Shola would skate by on such a small number of great showings.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Good thread and I fully agree. The man is s****.
I dunno

The Situation
No Thanks, I'm Full
No Thanks, I'm Full

Post by The Situation » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:54 pm

I think he has one more season in him as a last 10 minute man when we need someone to hold the ball up in the corner, but he shouldn't be anywhere near our first team, surely he must know that aswell.

Could see him going to a mid table championship team for 2 more seasons bagging himself quite a few goals, maybe someone like Ipswich, Leicester or Derby.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:57 pm

I do not think he can last 90 mins anymore, but I do think he can be useful from the bench.

Marvo
Hendrick's Luscious Locks

Post by Marvo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:16 pm

I think anyone who believes he has a future here is too blinded by nostalgia and the fact that he's a local (sort of).

He's been terrible for years. If the club truly wants to move onwards and upwards then he needs to be ditched. Maybe he'll score tomorrow, maybe he won't, regardless it doesn't change the fact that in almost every game he plays he offers absolutely nothing.

Cal
10 Champs Bronze
10 Champs Bronze

Post by Cal » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 pm

He's done at Premiership level, even though every time he's on the pitch I let myself believe that he could pull off a lethal finish out of nothing...

A comparison between him and Best; (Would have done Lover, but ~ 200 mins and no goals)

Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Yacob » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:52 pm

I think the question is did he ever get started? He certainly had potential when he was young

Spidey-Mask
Andy's Top Knot

Post by Spidey-Mask » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:04 pm

Shola could have been a decent PL level striker. Level with the likes of Fletcher or Yakubu. Unfortunately it all started going wrong when Souness came in. Then Roeder made him play through a hip injury which ruined him all together. he's been a shadow of his former self since then. Shame really

rabit71
Joel's Goals

Post by rabit71 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:58 pm

goals quite simply aren't his game, judging him on goals is like judging tiote on shots on target, or dynamic runs into the box.

his usefulness is based around his ability to slow down play, keep the ball in benign areas and win us freekicks to wind down the clock. all this from the bench of course.

interestingly, he has also developed his ability to provide assists
I don't always reply to a thread, but when i do, they usually die within the next 5 posts

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:42 am

I don't think he has been good enough for a few years. Used to be decent, now he is genuinely awful.

Frank_Pingel_Legend
Darlow's Do

Post by Frank_Pingel_Legend » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:58 am

There's nothing 'limited' about Shola's ability, merely his application. To me, he has wasted his talent, but I guess he can always claim he is one of that small crowd who actually make it through to the professional ranks from youth level.

Now, he is so injury prone he sprains his ankle getting out of bed. Quite sad, really.
What if the hokey-cokey is what it's all about?

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:40 am

rabit71 wrote:goals quite simply aren't his game, judging him on goals is like judging tiote on shots on target, or dynamic runs into the box.

his usefulness is based around his ability to slow down play, keep the ball in benign areas and win us freekicks to wind down the clock. all this from the bench of course.

interestingly, he has also developed his ability to provide assists
You're kidding, right? you do realise that Shola is a striker? Judging him on goals is like judging Tiote on dispossessions and successful tackles, because that's what he's on the pitch for. Shola is on the pitch as a striker because he's there to score goals. If he has good abilities in everything other than scoring goals, then he isn't a good striker.

Shola has been deployed as a striker for 12 years. I really would never buy into the realisation that he's better suited in another position at the age of 30 after all this time. Unless you think he would be good in a different position, then it generally has to be accepted that he's just a s*** footballer. You can't claim that he's a striker but good at doing everything other than scoring goals. It makes no sense.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~