Wenger to quit at the end of the season.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Wenger to quit at the end of the season.

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri May 18, 2018 11:44 am

ALF wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Pep at Barcelona and Zidane at Real are completely different given the ready made squads they had to work with. Arsenal is a big rebuilding job. It might work, but it's a risk for someone with zero experience.
The idea that Pep had a ready made squad at Barca is a complete myth.
It certainly wasn't a bad team! And he knew the club inside out from the youth team up, and managed the B team. It's completely different to Arteta taking the Arsenal job.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
ALF wrote:
The idea that Pep had a ready made squad at Barca is a complete myth.
It certainly wasn't a bad team! And he knew the club inside out from the youth team up, and managed the B team. It's completely different to Arteta taking the Arsenal job.
It wasn't a bad team by any stretch, but they'd just finished 3rd, 18 points behind Real and 10 points behind Villareal. That summer they moved on Ronaldinho, Deco, Zambrotta and Thuram(retired). He brought in a young Pique, Dani Alves and he promoted Busquets and Pedro from the B Team.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri May 18, 2018 12:45 pm

ALF wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
It wasn't a bad team by any stretch, but they'd just finished 3rd, 18 points behind Real and 10 points behind Villareal. That summer they moved on Ronaldinho, Deco, Zambrotta and Thuram(retired). He brought in a young Pique, Dani Alves and he promoted Busquets and Pedro from the B Team.
For sure, but his entire career was interwoven into the fabric of that club. Yes Arteta played for Arsenal for 6 years, but I doubt he's got that tacit knowledge of the club that Pep had at Barcelona.

I hope he does well as it's good to see things getting freshened up, I just think that it's a big ask.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri May 18, 2018 1:59 pm

I'd add though, given the front office that's been developing there, I don't think any incoming manager was going to have complete control over transfers, and they might need someone who is to be more a coach. I wasn't saying that he's guaranteed to be a success, but I kinda appreciate they didn't just name one of the same-ol' managers that do the rounds, and went with an interesting option.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri May 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Lambert's just became available <whistle>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri May 18, 2018 2:41 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:I'd add though, given the front office that's been developing there, I don't think any incoming manager was going to have complete control over transfers, and they might need someone who is to be more a coach. I wasn't saying that he's guaranteed to be a success, but I kinda appreciate they didn't just name one of the same-ol' managers that do the rounds, and went with an interesting option.
Sometimes risks can pay off, and if he has the respect of a lot of the players there already then that helps. Although difficult transition going from former teammate to manager type relationship.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri May 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
I'm over Colo wrote:I'd add though, given the front office that's been developing there, I don't think any incoming manager was going to have complete control over transfers, and they might need someone who is to be more a coach. I wasn't saying that he's guaranteed to be a success, but I kinda appreciate they didn't just name one of the same-ol' managers that do the rounds, and went with an interesting option.
Sometimes risks can pay off, and if he has the respect of a lot of the players there already then that helps. Although difficult transition going from former teammate to manager type relationship.
Absolutely - nobody can really know what to expect. But as a neutral that will be watching, I'm excited to find out!

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri May 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wenger himself was a risk at the time and he didn't do too bad <roll>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri May 18, 2018 7:20 pm

Arsene went to Arsenal.

Wagner should replace Wenger.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Well <schteve> is out of the running now he's been made manager of QPR but still time for <pards> <carvs> or Image

On a serious note though was glad to see Moore get the WBA job he did a fantastic job in the time he had.

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Sun May 20, 2018 9:43 am

Tsi wrote: On a serious note though was glad to see Moore get the WBA job he did a fantastic job in the time he had.
winning manager of the month with a team that's been that bad under pardew is definitely commendable!

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun May 20, 2018 9:53 am

Yeah I'd say he did enough to desrve the chance for sure. He gave them a fighting chance, something they hadn't had in a very long time. Whether he will get them up or be sacked by christmas remains to be seen.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon May 21, 2018 7:45 pm

Seems Emery is the new manager.

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Mon May 21, 2018 8:01 pm

He's good on cups. Not so much in the local championship. So they have a new the most recent Wenger. Congratulations.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 22, 2018 12:39 am

R&B wrote:He's good on cups. Not so much in the local championship. So they have a new the most recent Wenger. Congratulations.
That he didn't win La Liga with Valencia and Sevilla is hardly a failure though. He's the most successful manager either club has had in a long while. Won everything but CL with PSG (which he should have, given their resources). Guess I've always been a fan of him though, with Valencia my favourite continental club.

Toon Ireland
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Toon Ireland » Tue May 22, 2018 2:31 am

I'm over Colo wrote:
R&B wrote:He's good on cups. Not so much in the local championship. So they have a new the most recent Wenger. Congratulations.
That he didn't win La Liga with Valencia and Sevilla is hardly a failure though. He's the most successful manager either club has had in a long while. Won everything but CL with PSG (which he should have, given their resources). Guess I've always been a fan of him though, with Valencia my favourite continental club.
I saw them play in the Mastella about 20 years ago. Last game of the season and they beat Real Mallorca 3-0 to qualify for the champions league. My bro lived over there. Great day

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Tue May 22, 2018 11:03 am

I'd be concerned that he didn't win the treble both years (see Celtic), and that he oversaw the complete bottle job vs Barcelona last season.

That said, Arsenal at present is more like the Sevilla job so i'm intrigued to see how he does.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue May 22, 2018 12:07 pm

This highlights the typical standard of the gutter press...

John Cross, Daily Mirror, May 21: ‘Arsenal have been in talks with Arteta for several days as they look to thrash out an agreement which is believed to have been settled in principle.’

John Cross, Daily Mirror, May 22: ‘Club officials met Arteta last week and by Friday the former Gunners captain believed he was going to be offered the job. But Arsenal went quiet over the weekend…’

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 22, 2018 2:11 pm

TBC wrote:I'd be concerned that he didn't win the treble both years (see Celtic), and that he oversaw the complete bottle job vs Barcelona last season.

That said, Arsenal at present is more like the Sevilla job so i'm intrigued to see how he does.
That's fair, though Monaco before last summer's sell off was a lot better than any relative competitor to Celtic in Scotland - which was proven by their run in the CL too. But I still take your point. I'm curious how PSG would have done in CL if they'd just had a luckier draw the past two years.

But I think that the Sevilla comparison is good.