Match thread - NUFC v Watford

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Re: Match thread - NUFC v Watford

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:16 pm

So glad we got the win. Utter relief. Hoping we can take this into the next few games now and at least build a little momentum. We showed last season that even a few decent results strung together in this league can propel you, as there is in essence a bottom 12 vying for places. Just scoring a goal was a welcome feeling.
There is no sin except stupidity.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:17 pm

Muto limped off just before (literally, we made the sub in the one minute of injury time which seemed a bit daft), Lascelles didn't come on for the second half and Shelvey limped off around the hour. Pretty impressive performance given Rondon wasn't match fit and would definitely have come off after the hour otherwise, Ritchie looked shot (does he ever play 90?) and Kenedy was holding a hamstring though that might have just been to excuse a s*** cross...

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:40 am

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:37 am

Hopefully that win instills some much needed confidence. Bournemouth will be tough next week, they could/should have scored 3 or 4 v Man U yesterday. I'd probably take a draw, at the moment Burnley away the following match is more winnable.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:20 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:40 am
It was totally unnecessary to boo him as you should never ever boo your own players, but I don't feel the criticism of him has been over the top. He's been very poor this season and he deserved to be dropped.

He may have scored yesterday but Ki had more of an impact on the game for me.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Did he get booed when he came on yesterday then? If so then that's a f***ing embarrassment from anyone doing that. Yeah he's been poor all season, but don't boo when it's 0-0 and he's coming on.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 pm

He did. There's a sizeable proportion of the crowd who blame Perez for all of our failings, despite playing in a position that means he barely ever gets the ball in a threatening position.

He's not perfect, and dropping him will hopefully push him on, but some of the vitriol is pathetic. People seem to expect him to be barging through players which is never going to be his style.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 pm
He did. There's a sizeable proportion of the crowd who blame Perez for all of our failings, despite playing in a position that means he barely ever gets the ball in a threatening position.

He's not perfect, and dropping him will hopefully push him on, but some of the vitriol is pathetic. People seem to expect him to be barging through players which is never going to be his style.

I don't attend matches anymore, but I've heard from several of my mates that go to games that he's been getting jeered a lot this year. One of the biggest reasons I gave up my ST was the sheer negativity around certain players. There was one lad next to me who used to visibly and audibly shake with rage everytime Obertan got the ball then scream at him when he lost it. Others who used to boo Shola every week. It's not on, what's the point of going to games if you're not going to support?

I'm one of Perez' biggest critics and always have been, but to boo him is absolutely out of order. What are these people hoping to achieve?

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Heisen wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:50 pm
Colly wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 pm

I don't attend matches anymore, but I've heard from several of my mates that go to games that he's been getting jeered a lot this year. One of the biggest reasons I gave up my ST was the sheer negativity around certain players. There was one lad next to me who used to visibly and audibly shake with rage everytime Obertan got the ball then scream at him when he lost it. Others who used to boo Shola every week. It's not on, what's the point of going to games if you're not going to support?

I'm one of Perez' biggest critics and always have been, but to boo him is absolutely out of order. What are these people hoping to achieve?
Ah the heady days of Obertan and Shola <awe>
I had the first custom w***

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:37 pm

Yeah we've all got players we don't like or rate but to boo before or during a game at individuals is completely pointless, and those fans are part of the problem.

Granted I only go to a few away games a season generally, but I've never booed our team at FT or one of our own players before or during a game.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:14 pm

We've got three behind us who literally scream at Perez at every misplaced touch. Had it been Perez rather than Muto who'd had that 15 seconds of poor passing yesterday we'd never have heard the end of it. Sadly we've got too many of these idiots.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Those are the same people who probably moan and groan as soon as a new or young player misplaces a pass. It's little wonder that we don't ever really develop young players, most of them must dread taking to the field. Granted you get a few strong enough to take it, but it's only natural that some players would rather hide.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Brilliantly one of those three audibly groaned when Ben Arfa took his first touch in the centre circle on the way to that wonder goal against Bolton. These people are fuckwits. Thankfully they seem to only be at every other game...

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:21 pm
Brilliantly one of those three audibly groaned when Ben Arfa took his first touch in the centre circle on the way to that wonder goal against Bolton. These people are fuckwits. Thankfully they seem to only be at every other game...
Don't travel well do they not? <roll>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:33 pm

Sorry, every other home game.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:49 pm

Perez should be played as a striker. He's our best finisher.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Luque wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:49 pm
That's setting a very low bar seen as we've really got no good finishers - I'd say finishing is often what lets him down tbh.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:03 pm

Luque wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:49 pm
If agree. He has his limitations obviously but he has consistently shown that when the pressure is on he can come up with a goal or assist.

The booing of players is pathetic and should be challenged by those around them. But that happens at all grounds and it's happened at Newcastle since I first went thete as a lad ( Baraclough, Cassidy, Gibb, Gowling, and more latterly Joselu, Perez, Luque etc.

It achieves nothing.

In fact it worsens confidence and makes them play even worse!!

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:13 pm

So we should just happy clap or stay silent then ? I don’t boo players but it doesn’t concern me that some fans do. We are not the only club that does it but if I’m being honest I’ve not really heard out players being boo’d. I’ve heard the mutterings of dissaproval and the odd expletive laden rant but people are entitled to do that after paying good money.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:18 pm

I think you'll always get the rants after a player does something s***, but booing one of our own players onto the pitch is utterly ridiculous. Moreso the fact that realistically Perez is the only player who can play that position with Muto going off, so what's to gain? That'll really make him want to make the crowd happy.