Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Colly » Tue May 26, 2020 8:23 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:53 pm
Colly wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:33 pm
<ok>

On a tangent I always felt that after Roy Keane's book came out and he admitted his premeditated assault on Alf Inge Haaland he should have been jailed...
What about players that punch or headbutt?
I think you could kind of argue it's spirit of the moment in a contact sport. Totally different to "today, in this game I will be playing, I will attempt to end a mans career". Put it this way, I found the idea of Erling going to Man U slightly fanciful.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 26, 2020 8:44 pm

originallad wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:09 pm
What do these new reports mean? Game over?

Either way I'm getting sick of this s**** now.
I don't think it really changes anything, the Saudi's are going to have to decide whether they want to own Newcastle United and get their cut of the PL dough, or continue sticking it to Qatar and beIN media. If they won't commit to winding down their piracy efforts that undermine the TV contracts that are the lifeblood of the PL's money, they probably won't get their seat at the table.

In the end I think they will, or will at least say enough for the PL to placate the non-Qatary broadcaste partners and sign-off on the sale.

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:44 pm
originallad wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:09 pm
What do these new reports mean? Game over?

Either way I'm getting sick of this s**** now.
I don't think it really changes anything, the Saudi's are going to have to decide whether they want to own Newcastle United and get their cut of the PL dough, or continue sticking it to Qatar and beIN media. If they won't commit to winding down their piracy efforts that undermine the TV contracts that are the lifeblood of the PL's money, they probably won't get their seat at the table.

In the end I think they will, or will at least say enough for the PL to placate the non-Qatary broadcaste partners and sign-off on the sale.
Thanks <ok>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue May 26, 2020 11:34 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:23 pm
Sir Bobby wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:53 pm

What about players that punch or headbutt?
I think you could kind of argue it's spirit of the moment in a contact sport. Totally different to "today, in this game I will be playing, I will attempt to end a mans career". Put it this way, I found the idea of Erling going to Man U slightly fanciful.
Ben Thatcher should have been prosecuted for his assault on Pedro Mendes a few years ago when he knocked him out with an elbow.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed May 27, 2020 7:50 am

This takeover is definitely not happening. I've never been so sure about something <laugh>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed May 27, 2020 11:36 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:50 am
This takeover is definitely not happening. I've never been so sure about something <laugh>.
I'm 90% sure it will or won't happen.

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Wed May 27, 2020 11:50 am

I think I've lost the will to live over this....

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed May 27, 2020 12:14 pm

At the risk of sounding like an insensitive prick, but anyone else getting annoyed by fans claiming the takeover saga is effecting their mental health. Obviously mental health is a big issue for people but what really pisses me off is how some people feel entitled to attribute blame on others for their own state of mind, especially when it's not the fault or responsibility of the people who are the focus of blame.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed May 27, 2020 12:15 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:14 pm
At the risk of sounding like an insensitive prick, but anyone else getting annoyed by fans claiming the takeover saga is effecting their mental health. Obviously mental health is a big issue for people but what really pisses me off is how some people feel entitled to attribute blame on others for their own state of mind, especially when it's not the fault or responsibility of the people who are the focus of blame.
Are they? I mean that's a bit stupid if true <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Wed May 27, 2020 12:18 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:14 pm
Any fan who isn't financially linked to football (job, advertising, training) saying that it's effecting their mental health is a cronut

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 pm

Well that's the issue with mental illness it can be triggered by the most random of things.

Personally I can see how the takeover could affect people as one thing I've seen while dealing with my own mental health issues is that the longing and anticipation for things to go the way you want them to can be excruciating.

Schrodingers cat theory being the prime example you won't know the outcome of the situation until the box is opened.

I'd also point out that the takeover isn't having any negative affect on me.
I'll Hazard a guess

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed May 27, 2020 12:40 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:32 pm
Well that's the issue with mental illness it can be triggered by the most random of things.

Personally I can see how the takeover could affect people as one thing I've seen while dealing with my own mental health issues is that the longing and anticipation for things to go the way you want them to can be excruciating.

Schrodingers cat theory being the prime example you won't know the outcome of the situation until the box is opened.

Fair point, and 'anticipation anxiety' is a real thing. I've had it in the past in a work context where I'll have been really worried about something coming up (e.g. an important meeting) and for the days leading up to the meeting I'd keep going over in my mind constantly what might come up, what I might have to say etc. and it's exhausting. Also guilty of catastrophising a bit and expecting the worst to happen!

But yeah, a football club getting taken over doesn't concern me personally.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed May 27, 2020 1:02 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:40 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:

Fair point, and 'anticipation anxiety' is a real thing. I've had it in the past in a work context where I'll have been really worried about something coming up (e.g. an important meeting) and for the days leading up to the meeting I'd keep going over in my mind constantly what might come up, what I might have to say etc. and it's exhausting. Also guilty of catastrophising a bit and expecting the worst to happen!

Exactly, I think even a few journalists have had to block people from messaging them, as they are getting messages from the same people every day.

And a few have tweeted basically saying "look when something new happens we'll tweet it stop messaging us"

As said above mental health is a strange thing as it affects people differently.
I'll Hazard a guess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed May 27, 2020 1:10 pm

And I'd add, I've seen fellow fans angrier at Mike Ashley for the past decade than I have been towards anything. Some people are so ragey.

That said, so anxiously anticipating something in which you don't even know how the outcome will go (sure, we should be better with others at the helm, but I want to know about their plans and who will be in charge of implementing them), probably isn't a great idea.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed May 27, 2020 1:38 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:40 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:

I think that’s very normal with every human being. Just like not liking public speaking ect. I wouldn’t necessarily say that was a mental health issue. It’s entirely normal to worry , dread and fear the worst imo. Maybe I’m just old Fashioned and I don't understand Mental health but it Intrigues me that every emotion is labelled as mental health. Not a dig at you by the way , more so the fact that people are blaming an NUFC takeover for it.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Wed May 27, 2020 2:00 pm

I zoned out of all the talk from the get-go really, only briefly check up on it when I go on Twitter. If/when it’s official it’ll be party time but I don’t get the need to focus on it when all the info is currently from unnamed sources. If something comes out from Staveley/PIF/Ashley/The FA/NUFC then I’ll pay attention but until then there’s really no point.

Ironically, it seems that people check so frequently coz they are desperate to get rid of their stress ASAP, but they’re creating more stress by checking on it so frequently. Better to just tune out. You’re not gonna be too far behind in knowing when it does go through but you’ll be a lot less stressed in the meantime.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed May 27, 2020 2:14 pm

Admittedly I was well Into it and searching Twitter every day around late April and early may, then when it became clear there was no real reliable info coming through then I switched off and probably only pop on once or twice a day now specifically for takeover news, I'll scroll for a minute or 2 and move on with my day, to be honest its helped lockdown fly by for me by not being glued to it. In general when you are waiting for something it always seems like an eternity.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Thu May 28, 2020 8:07 am

Any news would be nice . Imagine the despair of it go t*** up and we are stuck with Ashley.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Thu May 28, 2020 8:19 am

i dont think its happening...

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Thu May 28, 2020 8:53 am

Toondes wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:07 am
Any news would be nice . Imagine the despair of it go t*** up and we are stuck with Ashley.
It wouldn't be the first time...