Football Set to Return? - Premier League returns on 17th June

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Football Set to Return?

Post by Remember Colo » Thu May 07, 2020 4:06 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:42 am
Imagine if the league comes back, it will feel like the start of a new season, then liverpool makes the most horrendous start in their history and man city catch them and take the title, that would make this shitter of a year much more bearable, <laugh>
Don't they only need like one win to clinch? I really don't see any future in which they don't win. And as much as my inlaws will be infurating, we'll at least have our own good news, and Liverpool really has been the best English club for the past year+, as annoying as it may be.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu May 07, 2020 5:10 pm

2 wins if I remember right.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu May 07, 2020 5:27 pm

Gladbach going the Fifa route <laugh>

HowayTheLads
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by HowayTheLads » Thu May 07, 2020 8:43 pm

I've come to the conclusion I want the league to be completed. It's been fun watching Liverpool fans squirm a bit but I realise if they are denied the league now they will not stop complaining about it forever. If they win it, we'll have to suffer a bit, but so little due to social distancing that we won't notice. Add to that they'll have to win it behind closed doors with no fans present and no parade or fanfare. I quite like that.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu May 07, 2020 9:06 pm

HowayTheLads wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:43 pm
I've come to the conclusion I want the league to be completed. It's been fun watching Liverpool fans squirm a bit but I realise if they are denied the league now they will not stop complaining about it forever. If they win it, we'll have to suffer a bit, but so little due to social distancing that we won't notice. Add to that they'll have to win it behind closed doors with no fans present and no parade or fanfare. I quite like that.
Agreed. They already have a chip on their shoulder, I could not handle having to hear them (in this case rightfully) complain forever. They earned the title, as annoying as that might be, let's get it over with.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri May 08, 2020 9:12 am

Norwegian league to start on June 16th.

Shall be heading back to Stavanger next weekend, but shall obviously self isolate for two weeks when I get back, shall work from home too, Or at least as much as I can do.
I'll Hazard a guess

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri May 08, 2020 9:21 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:12 am
Norwegian league to start on June 16th.

Shall be heading back to Stavanger next weekend, but shall obviously self isolate for two weeks when I get back, shall work from home too, Or at least as much as I can do.
Nice! I’m at families for lockdown but actually missing my own space now.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Fri May 08, 2020 5:10 pm

HowayTheLads wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:43 pm
f*** em, serves them right for pissing away the league cup, F.A cup and the CL. They deserve it.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon May 11, 2020 1:38 pm

It looks like the main obstacle now for restarting the league is playing at neutral venues, I am baffled by this being a requirement, I know its police advice because they fear supporters will stand outside the stadium, but why would people do that, what would they get out of it, and if they did do that is it going to be any more than a handful of people.

I can see why clubs are opposing it, it seems like its a big change for something that's a small concern. I think playing home and away as normal and then get the clubs to ramp up the message to stay away would be more than sufficient, yes you will get a few idiots but I just cant see it being a massive policing concern.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon May 11, 2020 1:43 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:38 pm
It looks like the main obstacle now for restarting the league is playing at neutral venues, I am baffled by this being a requirement, I know its police advice because they fear supporters will stand outside the stadium, but why would people do that, what would they get out of it, and if they did do that is it going to be any more than a handful of people.

I can see why clubs are opposing it, it seems like its a big change for something that's a small concern. I think playing home and away as normal and then get the clubs to ramp up the message to stay away would be more than sufficient, yes you will get a few idiots but I just cant see it being a massive policing concern.
I think you're being generous regarding the brain power / common sense of a lot of people. I think you'd get significant numbers turning up outside stadiums.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon May 11, 2020 2:05 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:43 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:

I think you're being generous regarding the brain power / common sense of a lot of people. I think you'd get significant numbers turning up outside stadiums.
Agreed. I think groups of fans will gather any way they can. Some people cannot enjoy watching football unless they are pissed up and acting like a complete cronut.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon May 11, 2020 2:10 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Don Sholeone wrote:

Maybe, but i just can't fathom why, especially if games are broadcast free to air as has been suggested, wouldn't fans rather sit at home and watch the actual match rather than turn up to just stand outside a stadium. Also I'd assume policing would be much easier than regular games they could cordon off the outside of the grounds and have patrols as a deterrent.

Focusing more on us, maybe the announcement of the takeover can act as a dry run in terms of how our fans would behave.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon May 11, 2020 2:13 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:05 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:

Agreed. I think groups of fans will gather any way they can. Some people cannot enjoy watching football unless they are pissed up and acting like a complete cronut.
To be honest that is one of the few reasons I can think of, maybe having early kick offs could remedy that, also pubs being closed will help somewhat.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon May 11, 2020 2:22 pm

It's all a ruse, they've been playing in secret for weeks. We're in the European places.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon May 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:22 pm
It's all a ruse, they've been playing in secret for weeks. We're in the European places.
Weeks? Try years, if you look close enough you can see they are all pre recorded games with digitally imposed faces, Saint Maximin is actually James Perch with a bit of cgi.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon May 11, 2020 2:50 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:42 pm
Colly wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:22 pm
Weeks? Try years, if you look close enough you can see they are all pre recorded games with digitally imposed faces, Saint Maximin is actually James Perch with a bit of cgi.
I was going to say "Wonder what Perchy is doing these days?"...then just looked him up, Scunthorpe. Sounds about right.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon May 11, 2020 3:15 pm

A Brighton player has tested positive apparently. Just can't see how the season can end and I can't see what the point of trying is now. Just focus on a safe way to start next season in September.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon May 11, 2020 3:23 pm

Squeezing a season in from September before the Euros won't be easy, what if it can't be done safely then? Scrap that season too?

For me the sensible option would have been to keep all leagues "open" in the sense of unfinished, then make a decision as the safety picture becomes clearer. If you can't play in front of fans until December surely it makes sense for that to be the end of this season rather than the start of another season that won't finish?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon May 11, 2020 3:27 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:23 pm
Squeezing a season in from September before the Euros won't be easy, what if it can't be done safely then? Scrap that season too?

For me the sensible option would have been to keep all leagues "open" in the sense of unfinished, then make a decision as the safety picture becomes clearer. If you can't play in front of fans until December surely it makes sense for that to be the end of this season rather than the start of another season that won't finish?
Generally agree with your point, but I think the "play in front of fans" part is irrelevant, because I do think there's a difference between players playing safely, and stadiums filled safely.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon May 11, 2020 3:35 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:27 pm
Colly wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:23 pm

Generally agree with your point, but I think the "play in front of fans" part is irrelevant, because I do think there's a difference between players playing safely, and stadiums filled safely.
Agree with this. Playing safely and potentially 70,000+ fans in a stadium are very different things.