The Music Lounge

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Re: The Music Lounge

Post by Tsi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:25 pm

Beatski wrote:

not sure where this belongs, so i'm putting it here. its awesome though. anyone know where i can here more of the same/similar?

(sounds like the soundtrack of Hotel Dusk: Room 215 as well
Check out their album Blue lines also other bands of a similar ilk are Dusted (try the When we were young album)

and Drifted by Groove Armada worth checking out Goodbye Country (hello nightclub) album by them as well.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:43 pm

They're so good <awe>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:08 pm

Well that was great <awe>.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:28 pm

Anybody got a good night-time album I could shove on? Something chilled or brooding or sleepy. I'm expecting an all-nighter working at my desk.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:36 pm

skalpel wrote:Anybody got a good night-time album I could shove on? Something chilled or brooding or sleepy. I'm expecting an all-nighter working at my desk.
Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk. My favourite late night album.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:41 pm

Holy crap, this absolutely belts. Cheers very much!

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:45 pm

skalpel wrote:Holy crap, this absolutely belts. Cheers very much!
No worries, hope you enjoy! <gent>

If you do, try out their Laughing Stock album as well. Followed on in the same vein.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:20 pm

Well that was easily the best new thing I've heard all year. Cheers again, I'm going to move onto more of their stuff as you suggest <awe>.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:40 pm

skalpel wrote:Well that was easily the best new thing I've heard all year. Cheers again, I'm going to move onto more of their stuff as you suggest <awe>.
I'm glad you liked it. :)

Hard to believe, but the first time I heard it I was really disappointed because it wasn't at all what I expected and I wanted more of the same following on from their third album "The Colour of Spring", which is a brilliant album as well btw, but just ten steps or so more mainstream.

Then I decided to play it again, Boxing Day 1988 actually. I remember it well. Put it on and it just hit my senses like a sledgehammer. Lay on my back on the floor in the dark and played it back to back for about ten hours. Couldn't get enough.

If you want to hear more I would suggest this order;

Laughing Stock
The Colour of Spring
Mark Hollis (solo album)

then have a go at The Party's Over and It's My Life. But be warned these two are very different. Basically mainstream 80's synth pop albums. It's My Life being more famous for spawning the No Doubt cover than anything else these days.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Brilliant stuff, thanks. It makes me think of about a dozen bands all rolled into one. The influence of this album has obviously been extensive, given that 1988 is well ahead of its time for this blend of ideas.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:30 pm

skalpel wrote:Brilliant stuff, thanks. It makes me think of about a dozen bands all rolled into one. The influence of this album has obviously been extensive, given that 1988 is well ahead of its time for this blend of ideas.
Yeah it was completely out of the blue and I personally hadn't heard anything like it before. Like I said I was a bit taken back at first, really didn't know what to make of it. Took another listen to realise how amazing it was.

Been largely overlooked by the music buying public but not by musicians and critics. Sited by many as one of the most influential albums of all time.

Pretty sure Tom Yorke sited it as a big influence. Something that can be guessed at based on the Kid A, Amnesiac etc era of Radiohead records. Countless ambient bands also will have been influenced by it.

I put one of the tracks on here some time ago actually when I wanted to give an example of a track that was my idea of "less is more". By which I mean the notes given room to breath and not drowned out in noise or frenetic instrumentation.

Don't know if you noticed the Mark Hollis quote one of the posters had put in the comments?

“Before you play two notes learn how to play one note — and don’t play one note unless you’ve got a reason to play it.”

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:09 pm

Yeah, you aren't kidding, the influence on Radiohead is the most immediately apparent.

I like that quote. The second part of it is basically the only advice that any artist needs. Sadly, not enough people listen to it <laugh>. I'm reminded of the quote "Everyone has a novel in them. But in most cases that's where it should stay."

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:11 pm

Just discovered that the band Om - who I've not listened to in about 10 years - released another album three years ago. Recommended to anybody who likes bass-driven stoner rock.

<notbad>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:25 pm

skalpel wrote:Just discovered that the band Om - who I've not listened to in about 10 years - released another album three years ago. Recommended to anybody who likes bass-driven stoner rock.

<notbad>

Interesting actually. I quite like it. Funnily enough reminds me a bit of some of the hippier Dead Can Dance stuff, who I had also forgotten about and thought had hung up their instruments years ago to follow solo careers (Lisa Gerrard doing vocals for film soundtracks like Gladiator etc.), only to find out they released an album a couple of years ago. <laugh>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:26 pm

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 pm

Haha, weird coincidence. Yeah I see what you mean, the eastern twinged female vocals in the first track are definitely similar to DCD.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:33 pm

skalpel wrote:Yeah, you aren't kidding, the influence on Radiohead is the most immediately apparent.

I like that quote. The second part of it is basically the only advice that any artist needs. Sadly, not enough people listen to it <laugh>. I'm reminded of the quote "Everyone has a novel in them. But in most cases that's where it should stay."
<laugh> Love that quote. Reminds me of Baldrick and his Magnificant Octopus as well.

Yeah sad that not many follow the less is more approach to music. But then there is still creative genius required. It won't necessarily sound good just because the notes are sparse. Mark Hollis did an experimental piece for a project called AV1, contributing a track called Piano (under his pseudonym of John Cope). Try as I might I find it a bit too sparse on the whole, but with moments where I completely get it and it sounds wonderful. Be interested to know what you think of it.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:52 pm

I quite liked it. It's decent atmospheric stuff - and I especially like that he's using the physical sounds of the sustain and sostenuto pedals to add to the texture. Have you listened much to Arvo Part?

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:08 am

That second song is so scuzzy <awe>

Do you know any more stuff with that kind of sound? I absolutely love bass-heavy, dirty stoner rock!

Edit: Talking about that Om album btw.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!