Artists/Bands that everyone likes, that you don't

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Artists/Bands that everyone likes, that you don't

Post by Dr. Bishop » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:41 pm

aginairrr wrote:Foo Fighters!
<erk> <yikes> <disgrace> <grim> <wenger> <mob> <****> <frogout>
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:07 pm

I was never a big fan of Nirvana to be honest.

They were OK but I never felt compelled to see them live when the opportunity was available.

Vaj
Dyslexia Untied: Flash League Champions

Post by Vaj » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:14 pm

Voluptuous Vuckic wrote:
aginairrr wrote:Foo Fighters!
They're dull. The Killers are overrated as well.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:18 pm

aginairrr wrote:They're dull.
<disgrace>
aginairrr wrote:The Killers are overrated as well.
I agree with that though.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

Vaj

Post by Vaj » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Voluptuous Vuckic wrote:
aginairrr wrote:They're dull.
<disgrace>
aginairrr wrote:The Killers are overrated as well.
I agree with that though.
<diva>

Wedge Head Tiote
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Wedge Head Tiote » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:02 pm

aginairrr wrote:
I agree, I saw them at Reading and all their songs sound a bit samey. They have a few good songs, but it wasn't worth waiting 2 hours to hear them.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:58 am

aginairrr wrote:
Voluptuous Vuckic wrote:
<wenger>

Vaj

Post by Vaj » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:18 am

Also Green Day's newer stuff is s***. Smashing Pumpkins were vastly overrated, Sum 41 are a heap of s*** and Linkin Park are awful!

Daveunited
Contemplative

Post by Daveunited » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:39 pm

aginairrr wrote:Also Green Day's newer stuff is s***. Smashing Pumpkins were vastly overrated, Sum 41 are a heap of s*** and Linkin Park are awful!
what that Kill the DJ song
<ohnoes>
"I had the option of 20 or 21 and the reason I took this shirt is because we’re all here to be champions this year and that would mean a 20th league title for Manchester United. That’s the main reason I took 20."

RVP 17/08/12

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:20 am

We may as well just add 80% of whatever's in the pop charts nowadays because the majority of artists/bands on their are ones I dislike.

I absolutely cannot stand modern pop nowadays- it's so awful it's becoming a joke. Acts are given such widespread attention it baffles me but I guess it is mostly down to the power of social networking...

Looking through the Top40 now, Little Mix *shudder*, One Direction (effectively just a modern day shittier version of the Beatles), Rita Ora- I could go on for days...

Speaking of Rita Ora, I've found myself watching X-factor this year. Now I know the mentioning of the X-Factor on this thread is pretty much suicide but I've decided that it's not that bad as long as you try and ignore the singing part. More to the point, I remember in the past they had people like Simon Cowell, Sharron Osbourne, Pete Waterman as the judges on these musical shows aka people who could identify/recognise 'talent' because they understood that side of the business- it was their job. Nowadays you have the likes Nicole Scherzinger, Tulisa, (wor) Cheryl (like), Rita Ora, Dannii Minogue etc - as in acts who don't even dictate their own musical style, just faces who sing songs written for them- they have no idea what does/doesn't sound good. It's the footballing equivalent of Cabaye going to scout players, he may be a good player but probably doesn't have the foggiest when it comes to talent scouting! I know I probably shouldn't even be mentioning X-Factor on here in the first place but I think it represents what is 'popular' music is in this country nowadays. Just marketable faces.

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:45 am

<applause>

Chip Chipperson
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Chip Chipperson » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:05 pm

I think most people know X Factor is a heap of s***. Well I hope that's the reason they are voting for that Rylan just to mess the show up.

Music these days just requires a good dance beat and a catchy chorus and you're guaranteed a number 1 or top 10 song. It pisses me off when these "singers" are called musicians; they stand behind a microphone singing to a beat that a computer has created and will also make their voice sound better than it really is. Aslong as kids are buying and enjoying what is, in my opinion, complete f***ing s***, then they'll carry on producing it as it fattens the singers and label owners pockets more.
"How dare you. How dare you! Don't ever, ever call me a bully. I'm so much worse than that." - Malcolm Tucker

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Ameobi's Apprentice wrote:I think most people know X Factor is a heap of s***. Well I hope that's the reason they are voting for that Rylan just to mess the show up.

Music these days just requires a good dance beat and a catchy chorus and you're guaranteed a number 1 or top 10 song. It pisses me off when these "singers" are called musicians; they stand behind a microphone singing to a beat that a computer has created and will also make their voice sound better than it really is. Aslong as kids are buying and enjoying what is, in my opinion, complete f****** s***, then they'll carry on producing it as it fattens the singers and label owners pockets more.
Absolutely. That's ultimately the problem, it's not necessarily the music which sounds terrible- don't get me wrong, the majority of it sounds s**** but some I don't really mind- it's just you just know that it's got absolutely sod all to do with that 'musician' - they're essentially just an actor with a pretty face given a script because the big producers know exactly how to draw in the big $.

To be fair, the target market is teenagers, who seem to be a bit confused because they haven't made up their minds on what kind of music is for them and just generally think everything sounds good- so long as it looks good, is pretty straightforward and just as long as it's not 'old-fashioned'!

And then of course there's the massive role that YouTube and social networking play nowadays; music is far more accessible than it used to be and the fact that a Little Mix video has 24 million views and a Bob Dylan has a poultry 3 million just goes to show what is really being listened to at the moment.

PrestonMag
Tindall's Hoody

Post by PrestonMag » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:00 am

Whoever said Tupac, I'm not going to say I don't like him; he's had some classics (I'm thinking Brenda's got a Baby, I Ain't Mad at Ya, Me Against the World) however you are right. I feel he is a little overrated and although talented as a performer and better than most at writing songs he doesn't deserve the huge fanfare he gets. I'm also more or a B.I.G. fan but even so these two have a reputation that far outstrips what they actually were. Talented artists but nothing on what the press tells us they were.

Don't mistake that for me not being a fan, I am, but I'm also aware of the hyperbole surrounding them.

Oh and more importantly, I despise Drake, Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne for their single handed destruction of Hip-Hop in this era. Eurgh.

Going to throw it out there and say the Pigeon Detectives who my mate absolutely adores and I just can't get into, and most Dubstep and Drum & Bass.

David Guetta too.

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:39 pm

To be honest, everyone has tastes and preferences. I like music, but I have personal preference over some. I also listen to alot of mainstream music (Not charty poppy stuff but some of the bands listed here), but I am a fan of all music, and don't really hate any band or artist as long as their musical career was ground out by them and only them without some music mogul creating success for them.

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Recent posts in the Muisic Lounge reminded me, I'm not a fan of Bastille at all.

B4E
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by B4E » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:58 pm

I don't even know what music I like, never mind what I don't like. I can't hate bands that at least play their instruments, which doesn't seem to happen any more within popular music.

For example, there's alot of hate for Muse on this forum. I agree that most of their songs are s***, but I like Knights of Cydonia (just like the tune) and Hysteria (the bass), as well as other tracks like City of Delusion, so I can't hate them. Radiohead, same sort of thing. I don't like a large amount of their songs, but the ones I do like (although I got condemned for putting Creep on the music lounge), I really like (Karma Police is probably my fave). I could do this for every band but I'll stop.

In terms of the question, I'd say top 40 stuff, there are some alright songs occasionally and I thought it was great when Rage Against The Machine got No.1 that Christmas recently, but there's also alot of songs that are just thrown at decent (at best) singers and manage to break into the charts. So it's strange.
RIP

DDuc
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince

Post by DDuc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:12 am

The Smiths :bandit:

I don't dislike them but they're a bit overrated in my opinion, a lot of their songs sound a bit samey as well.
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:18 pm

I was at the Cluny this week to see a reggae group called "Culture". Anyone heard of them? <scratch>
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Red Hot Chilli Peppers. BORING
I had the first custom w***