Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Re: Album Swap

Post by Ramone » Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Ramone wrote:
<fist>

Ultimate Alternate Wavers - Built to Spill?

Not familiar with The Sound at all
Ok I'll give that a go!

The Sound - From the Lions Mouth

You missed my edit <laugh> Just do whichever one you fancy.
REQUIEM

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Wed May 25, 2016 6:29 pm

skalpel wrote:Have you heard Rain Dogs by Tom Waits? If not, then there's yours.

I don't have any specific requests. Nothing with a particularly whiny singer though, I guess <roll>.
This is such a long album <neg> It started off awfully and I hated you for recommending it - Singapore was a mess <laugh>

It had some good moments, Jockey Full of Bourbon/Big Black Mariah/Hang Down Your Head were highlights.

I didn't enjoy his full vocal range which made some of the songs painful when he was trying to show it off <erk>

Doubt I'll listen to it from start to finish ever again. I might listen to a couple of the songs though. <roll>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed May 25, 2016 7:27 pm

beardface wrote:
skalpel wrote:Have you heard Rain Dogs by Tom Waits? If not, then there's yours.

I don't have any specific requests. Nothing with a particularly whiny singer though, I guess <roll>.
This is such a long album <neg> It started off awfully and I hated you for recommending it - Singapore was a mess <laugh>

It had some good moments, Jockey Full of Bourbon/Big Black Mariah/Hang Down Your Head were highlights.

I didn't enjoy his full vocal range which made some of the songs painful when he was trying to show it off <erk>

Doubt I'll listen to it from start to finish ever again. I might listen to a couple of the songs though. <roll>
<roll> Sorry, had no idea if it was long or short or what, I just stick it on without thinking. Yeah, his drunken-pirate style songs are divisive as f***, loads of people hate them, loads of people love them, and I f***ing love them. Singapore and Clap Hands might be my two favourite on the whole album <laugh>, exactly because they're messy and ridiculous.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu May 26, 2016 9:30 am

Donkey Toon wrote:
Ramone wrote:
<fist>

Ultimate Alternate Wavers - Built to Spill?

Not familiar with The Sound at all
Ok I'll give that a go!

The Sound - From the Lions Mouth

The Sound - From the Lions Mouth <gold> <gold> <gold> <gold> <grey>

I've been looking for some good post-punk stuff to listen to as I've pretty much wore out Joy Division so this was great. Really enjoyed the production, none of the instrumentation felt lost in the mix and they had some properly good guitar solos in there which is always a plus. I think my favourite songs were Winning and New Dark Age.

Also for some reason the singer really reminded me of Richard Ashcroft.
REQUIEM

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu May 26, 2016 2:27 pm

Glad you liked it Ramone!

I totally agree about the production, but then it was produced by Hugh Jones who also produced my favourite album of all time so I guess i'm biased. And yeah I can see the Richard Ashcroft likeness now you mention it. <ok>

I'd recommend you check out their first album - Jeopardy (this was their 2nd), it was basically a coin toss to decide which one to give you, they are both as good as each other. The rest of their discography is worth listening to as well, although after the first two albums it becomes a bit hit and miss for me.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu May 26, 2016 2:35 pm

Sebadoh - Bakesale <gold> <gold> <gold> <grey> <grey>

I'll admit straight up that lo-fi isn't really my thing. I tend to find that the intentional rough sound sometimes gives way to trying to hard to sound rough at the expense of melody, but saying that Sebadoh are probably the best of that genre that i've heard, although this was my first experience of this particular album having only heard their earlier stuff previously.

The musicianship was of good quality, highlights being the opener Licence to Confuse, Skull, Give Up and Rebound, but I didn't really take to too many of the tracks because, well I just don't really like the lo-fi sound and in this bands case the vocals leave me cold as well.

I've given it three stars though because when it hit a cord with me I really quite enjoyed it. I just felt frustrated that they don't/won't ditch the lo-fi approach and give the music the production quality it deserves to sound as good as it can be. But fans of this genre will tell me that is my fault for not getting what lo-fi is about. Which is a fair point!

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu May 26, 2016 3:21 pm

Pretty fair review, I've found lo-fi stuff to be quite divisive but I love it <awe> I think there's something really appealing about music being extremely raw.

Lou Barlow (one of the vocalists for Sebadoh) plays bass for Dinosaur Jr on their first three albums (Dinosaur, You're Living All Over Me and Bug) as well as their latest three. I'd recommend You're Living All Over Me, it's easily one of my favourite albums.
REQUIEM

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu May 26, 2016 3:44 pm

Ramone wrote:Pretty fair review, I've found lo-fi stuff to be quite divisive but I love it <awe> I think there's something really appealing about music being extremely raw.

Lou Barlow (one of the vocalists for Sebadoh) plays bass for Dinosaur Jr on their first three albums (Dinosaur, You're Living All Over Me and Bug) as well as their latest three. I'd recommend You're Living All Over Me, it's easily one of my favourite albums.
Cheers. I'll give that a go. Funnily enough i've got Dinosaur somewhere in my collection. Bought it when it first came out, didn't take to it and have probably never heard it again. But I often find re-visiting albums I like them better. I did this with my favourite album - played it, thought it was average and threw it aside. Played it again six months later and absolutely loved it. <scratch>

As you are looking for post-punk to listen to, have you tried The Chameleons?

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu May 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Ramone wrote:Pretty fair review, I've found lo-fi stuff to be quite divisive but I love it <awe> I think there's something really appealing about music being extremely raw.

Cheers. I'll give that a go. Funnily enough i've got Dinosaur somewhere in my collection. Bought it when it first came out, didn't take to it and have probably never heard it again. But I often find re-visiting albums I like them better. I did this with my favourite album - played it, thought it was average and threw it aside. Played it again six months later and absolutely loved it. <scratch>

No, not at all, are they any good?

Dinosaur is also one of my favourite albums but it's tough to recommend because it's fairly raw.
REQUIEM

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu May 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Ramone wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:

No, not at all, are they any good?

Dinosaur is also one of my favourite albums but it's tough to recommend because it's fairly raw.
Yeah Chameleons are pretty good. I'd recommend giving Strange Times or Script of the Bridge a go.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Sat May 28, 2016 11:55 am

skalpel wrote:
LiDL wrote:
<gold> <gold> <half> <grey> <grey>

Not sure I was really in the mood for ambient music but it was alright. It's one of those genres where I have absolutely no idea what is good and what is bad ambient and all the songs just sort of drift along into one because I can't really concentrate on them. I think inoffensive is the word I'd use, though I have a feeling that's one of the more offensive ways to describe it <laugh>

Will definitely give it a go next time I have a late night though, feel like it might suit a quiet drive or walk at 2am.

I'm sure you've got loads of other albums to be getting through but if you're wanting one back then I'll suggest Who Is William Onyeabor? by William Onyeabor- spotify or if you'd rather something else then Hypnotic Brass Ensemble's self titled - spotify
<ok> Fair points. The reason I suggested it was because it was about midnight at the time. I'd say it's worth it sometime giving it a shot alone at night as you say.

Cheers, I'll listen to both! Hopefully today or tomorrow (I'm in the process of moving house so it may be tomorrow).

If you want something else different back, how about Dungen - 4 which I mentioned a few pages ago? You'll probably only be able to stream it on Spotify though.
Gave Dungen a try and after a few songs it hadn't really caught me. Couldn't really concentrate enough to give it a fair review, think that was more down to my mood than the album though!

Have since given Rain Dogs a go after seeing breadface's complaints and I absolutely love this album! The 'sinister circus' sound is something I've only ever really been able to find a few songs of and now I have a whole album of it <diva> Singapore, Cemetery Polka, Rain Dogs and Jockey Full of Bourbon are instant favourites.

Do you know if any more of Tom Waits' stuff is similar? I've only given him a cursory listen and that was more the earlier pre-80s stuff which is a bit more standard but his voice carries it.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:00 pm

LiDL wrote:
skalpel wrote:
<ok> Fair points. The reason I suggested it was because it was about midnight at the time. I'd say it's worth it sometime giving it a shot alone at night as you say.

Cheers, I'll listen to both! Hopefully today or tomorrow (I'm in the process of moving house so it may be tomorrow).

If you want something else different back, how about Dungen - 4 which I mentioned a few pages ago? You'll probably only be able to stream it on Spotify though.
Gave Dungen a try and after a few songs it hadn't really caught me. Couldn't really concentrate enough to give it a fair review, think that was more down to my mood than the album though!

Have since given Rain Dogs a go after seeing breadface's complaints and I absolutely love this album! The 'sinister circus' sound is something I've only ever really been able to find a few songs of and now I have a whole album of it <diva> Singapore, Cemetery Polka, Rain Dogs and Jockey Full of Bourbon are instant favourites.

Do you know if any more of Tom Waits' stuff is similar? I've only given him a cursory listen and that was more the earlier pre-80s stuff which is a bit more standard but his voice carries it.
Sorry for not reviewing yours yet, the house move has turned into a bigger job than expected.

Yeah, give Bone Machine a shot. His style rocks about a bit from album to album, some of his jazzier stuff is awesome as well, but from the 80s onwards there tends to be a general Rain Dogs influence over the rest of his stuff.

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:50 pm

skalpel wrote:
LiDL wrote:

Sorry for not reviewing yours yet, the house move has turned into a bigger job than expected.

Yeah, give Bone Machine a shot. His style rocks about a bit from album to album, some of his jazzier stuff is awesome as well, but from the 80s onwards there tends to be a general Rain Dogs influence over the rest of his stuff.
No worries, moving house is far far more important than reviewing a couple of albums I've suggested <laugh>

Cheers for the recommendations. Love Step Right Up especially <awe>

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:34 am

Anyone fancy a swap?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:37 am

Sure. I won't be up much longer though, so I'd be reviewing it tomorrow. That work?

Apparently I owe you a review from two years ago as well.

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 pm

skalpel wrote:Sure. I won't be up much longer though, so I'd be reviewing it tomorrow. That work?

Apparently I owe you a review from two years ago as well.
Wasn't necessarily for last night, just a general swap but yeah go on then <diva>

Completely forgot about that! William Onyeabor's album is still a personal favourite though if you're happy to do that? Or otherwise I guess either one of my favourite albums No Other by Gene Clark, or an album I was obsessed with last year Nights Out by Metronomy - just go with whichever appeals to you most.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:37 am

I'll go for the Gene Clark and the William Onyeabor! Started Clark's already now.

I'll offer you a few options as well, then. Either one of these classics: Portishead - Dummy or The Beta Band - The Three EPs.

(Edited post actually. Nobody can be arsed with that many options.)

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:51 am

William Onyeabor is pretty cool, very Fela. Let's Fall In Love is hilarious, sounds like the f***ing Prodigy's first album when it starts off <laugh>. And that groove on Fantastic Man... damn thing just refuses to f***ing quit <parrot>.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Been re-listening to some of Linkin Parks early stuff, makes me feel like a teenager again <awe>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:27 pm

William Onyeabor just died apparently <rose>. This is just like that time I bought a Brian Friel book for the first time and he died the next day.