How do you listen to music on the go?

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

How do you listen to music on the go?

Post by Mifune » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:05 pm

I've had my ipod touch for about 4 years but the screen has smashed and I've got no room left on it and have deleted as much redundant stuff on it as I can as well. Now a new ipod touch has come out which finally offers storage of over 64gb. However the 128gb version costs £330, so f*** that. So I am probably just going to buy an ipod classic 160gb for half the price.

But the reason for this thread is because when I was reading about the new ipod touch all the articles on it said the same thing, which was basically nobody uses mp3 players anymore because they have their phones which play music. This seems kind of strange to me because pretty much all smartphones battery lifes suck, so if I was using my phone as a smartphone as well as listening to music then the battery would not last the day and therefore is no use.

So what do people use to listen to music when they are out and about? Are you one of the seemingly small minority who still use a mp3 player, or do you use your phone and just not listen to much music so battery life is not an issue? Or are there other alternatives?

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Re: How do you listen to music on the go?

Post by Ramone » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:12 pm

Use spotify on phone
REQUIEM

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:19 pm

You're okay with the battery issue and streaming rather than owning your own music collection?

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:43 pm

MIFUNE wrote:You're okay with the battery issue and streaming rather than owning your own music collection?
This is my issue. I'm on Android but my music is on iTunes, so it's Spotify or nothing for me. I normally go without now, or offline mode if I really must listen to something.
I had the first custom w***

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:00 pm

I use my old iPod had it about 5 years but it's 30Gb and battery lasts ages to be fair, my phone battery is woeful so I can't use spotify (plus I'm not on premium and the free version on the phone app is dreadful)
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:07 pm

I still use an mp3. My trusty Creative Zen X-Fi 32GB. Being Creative it is much better than an iPod and the battery lasts for ages.

I hate mobile phones so I only have a really basic pay as you go one. Has a calculator and a torch and that is about it. I only use it for emergencies.

I'll likely be using mp3's for some time to come as I estimate I will be one of the last people on the planet to buy a touch, tablet or anything like that.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:12 pm

Yeah that is another drawback to using your phone to listen to music: you have to keep your phone on you all the time.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:19 pm

I use my phone and dedicate most of its storage to music for use on the go (lowish data cap). An hour or two of listening to music / podcasts doesn't cause me much trouble on the battery front, and I'm generally going between places where I can easily charge up anyway.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:22 pm

I use Spotify. If I know I'm going to be out all day, then I usually just download a playlist or two the night before. Using it in offline mode hardly drains the battery, providing you aren't constantly skipping tracks via the screen.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:40 pm

i am all sew in need of an mp3 player four the playage of audiobeats in my car, my phone has a terriblé battery life so that won't cut it (snoot lighter doesnt work, so no chargerability). At a loose end as to how to bang out sum anthems at the smacky d's drive threw otherwise like.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:56 pm

Radio Raheem style.

Seriously though, I rarely listen to music on the go. If it becomes necessary then I'll just shove a bunch of files on my phone and bring some headphones. The battery on my phone is pretty good while playing music.

I can easily put it on aeroplane mode if I don't want to be bothered, but I seldom get called anyway.
SpoilerShow
<grim>

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:14 am

I use my mp3 player to listen to music at home as well. Just have a docking station and play music from that. I like having my music all organised on one device that I can listen to out loud at home or on headphones when I am out.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:29 am

Yeah I've got my old MP3 player connected to a dock in the house as well. It's only 16gb though so it's regularly swapped around. I usually just use my laptop or stick a record on and listen to music in the house that way. I used to have good control over my music collection, but its so overgrown now and over so many different formats that I've lost loads of stuff.

I'm sad to see that Donkey doesn't drag his house-sized music collection out with him in a trailer every time he goes somewhere - just in case.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:47 am

skalpel wrote:Yeah I've got my old MP3 player connected to a dock in the house as well. It's only 16gb though so it's regularly swapped around. I usually just use my laptop or stick a record on and listen to music in the house that way. I used to have good control over my music collection, but its so overgrown now and over so many different formats that I've lost loads of stuff.

I'm sad to see that Donkey doesn't drag his house-sized music collection out with him in a trailer every time he goes somewhere - just in case.
<laugh>

I used to do that but i'd reach my destination without having decided what to listen to so I settled on just rotating my current favs in and out of my mp3.

Still got the trailer though just in case. ;)

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:40 am

I usually just hum whatever's in my head. <ok>

OK I use Spotify and Shuttle on my phone (Spotify need to allow to play music off your hard drive/memory card because it's a ball ache having to use two apps).

I also have one of these. They're awesome. Really affordable, great sound quality, it's much louder than my phone, they support every file format (which is hugely important for me because I seem to have something in every format), the battery lasts ages and it's easy to update my music library, I hate having to dismount and remount an SD card to update phone. The firmware and UI can be a little sketchy, but 99% of the time it's tucked away playing music so it doesn't matter (the updated X3 and X5 are probably a lot more polished). Biggest problem I have with it is no bluetooth support, if I want to connect to a speaker I have to whip out a cable or go back to the phone or laptop.

As a rule I don't really like using my phone, it gets so cluttered with s*** as it is and it's difficult to organise data. I like having Spotify on the move though, it's a great way of finding new music and gives you so many more options when you're out (assuming you have wifi or data available).

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:50 am

Spotify premium, make a playlist, make it available offline. Doesn't drain your battery at all or use any data. <ok>

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:21 am

MIFUNE wrote:You're okay with the battery issue and streaming rather than owning your own music collection?
I charge it daily anyway so it doesn't make a difference and I don't have enough money to maintain a proper music collection.
REQUIEM

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:47 am

That's fair enough. Still not convinced about the battery issue though, my phone usually has <25% by the end of the day and that is without listening to music. Really the only time I stream music is at home when I am listening to new music. Also I listen to podcasts sometimes as well which you can't really stream.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:04 pm

Spotify Premium on my phone. My English phone gets no connection when I'm in Jersey so I just download a few playlists or albums and whack it on aeroplane mode to save battery when I'm out and about. The battery lasts forever somehow, not sure if it's Sony making good phones or something but it can go a few hours solid of music and only lose about 30% battery. Without any music but using wifi most of the day it manages to go through the whole day only losing about 40% <awe>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:27 pm

CryMeARiviere wrote:Spotify Premium on my phone. My English phone gets no connection when I'm in Jersey so I just download a few playlists or albums and whack it on aeroplane mode to save battery when I'm out and about. The battery lasts forever somehow, not sure if it's Sony making good phones or something but it can go a few hours solid of music and only lose about 30% battery. Without any music but using wifi most of the day it manages to go through the whole day only losing about 40% <awe>
My phone loses about 2% a day on flight mode. Makes you wonder what the f*** it's doing most of the time.